studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 08:12 AM
studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
http://news.yahoo.com/atheists-inspire-t...c_src=copy

interesting

tldr; atheists creep people out because we take away heaven. 'normal' atheists need to come out of the closet because Hitchens & Dawkins scare theists.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
23-05-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
Those experiments look really biased.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
23-05-2015, 09:12 AM
In my experience it is the obsession with death in the first place that drives people to theism. I don't think I've ever been particularly afraid of death (the process of dying stirs some anxiety but not the end result) and the idea of heaven as portrayed by most Christians seems like a far worse alternative than oblivion.

I'm not surprised at all that the idea of atheism is scary but I see it as them being afraid to even look inside the little box they've locked away with death inside. If they'd actually open it they'd see that it isn't anything there to fear at all.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
23-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Pathetic. I fear death so I will cling to my invisible friend and shun those who have the courage to to not believe in such comforting - or not - bullshit.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Here, I'm going show you several pictures of mutilated kittens and then I want you to think about having your arm broken. Now how do feel about Pepsi compared to say an off brand of Greek yogurt ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
23-05-2015, 09:35 AM
(23-05-2015 09:12 AM)unfogged Wrote:  In my experience it is the obsession with death in the first place that drives people to theism. I don't think I've ever been particularly afraid of death (the process of dying stirs some anxiety but not the end result) and the idea of heaven as portrayed by most Christians seems like a far worse alternative than oblivion.

I'm not surprised at all that the idea of atheism is scary but I see it as them being afraid to even look inside the little box they've locked away with death inside. If they'd actually open it they'd see that it isn't anything there to fear at all.

Definitely agree. Fear of death and fear of unknown. I also think the other thing that scares Christians/Catholics (in particular) is their notion that atheists have little to no morals and are only concerned about themselves. I have a catholic friend who was shocked that I am heavily involved with helping the homeless (especially the homeless with pets) because I am an atheist. Shocking

Additionally, I think some Christians/Catholics fear utter chaos if everyone decided to become an atheist. To some Christians, atheists are free sinners and those who believe in the rapture and God's retribution for sin in the world through natural disasters/terrorism etc. is a cause of concern for them.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-05-2015, 09:47 AM
(23-05-2015 09:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Pathetic. I fear death so I will cling to my invisible friend and shun those who have the courage to to not believe in such comforting - or not - bullshit.
I doubt you courage will help you once you realize your own mortality. When I had existential crisis it almost paralyzed me
23-05-2015, 09:49 AM
(23-05-2015 09:47 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 09:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Pathetic. I fear death so I will cling to my invisible friend and shun those who have the courage to to not believe in such comforting - or not - bullshit.
I doubt you courage will help you once you realize your own mortality. When I had existential crisis it almost paralyzed me

Not everyone is so afraid of death as you. And you can doubt, I care not for what you think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-05-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm afraid of death. IMO there's nothing wrong with being afraid of death, and I would be concerned for anyone lacking that fear. If you say that you have no fear of death, you're probably either lying, or already dead. It's the fear that keeps us alive. However, there is absolutely no excuse for making up fairytales and telling them as truth, and I certainly wouldn't find it surprising if it's true that atheists make religious people think about death and doubts in their faith.
[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
23-05-2015, 09:55 AM
(23-05-2015 09:52 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm afraid of death. IMO there's nothing wrong with being afraid of death, and I would be concerned for anyone lacking that fear. If you say that you have no fear of death, you're probably either lying, or already dead. It's the fear that keeps us alive. However, there is absolutely no excuse for making up fairytales and telling them as truth, and I certainly wouldn't find it surprising if it's true that atheists make religious people think about death and doubts in their faith.

Another one? And why you would be concerned for someone not fearing death? You apparently confusing not being afraid of death with careless behaviour or some such. I do not fear death but that don't mean I wan't to die, or I'm taking the unnecesary risk.

Also as Epicurus said - “Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not.”

Mikhail Bakunin.