studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 10:01 AM
RE: studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
(23-05-2015 09:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 09:47 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  I doubt you courage will help you once you realize your own mortality. When I had existential crisis it almost paralyzed me

Not everyone is so afraid of death as you.
But to those who afraid just like me atheism can't provide help. Maybe in the future there will be pills that change brain structure and remove fear of death. Until then I'll stick with religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2015, 10:04 AM
(23-05-2015 10:01 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 09:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Not everyone is so afraid of death as you.
But to those who afraid just like me atheism can't provide help. Maybe in the future there will be pills that change brain structure and remove fear of death. Until then I'll stick with religion.

Until then you're stuck with delusion. And I would not be surprised if religion was magnyfying fear of death with all eternal damnation shit. So it's - or could be - not the cure, but rather the cause.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
23-05-2015, 10:07 AM
(23-05-2015 10:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:01 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  But to those who afraid just like me atheism can't provide help. Maybe in the future there will be pills that change brain structure and remove fear of death. Until then I'll stick with religion.
And I would not be surprised if religion was magnyfying fear of death with all eternal damnation shit.
I'm bnei noah, we don't have hell. Non-existence itself is scary enough for me
23-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Seems to be quite a bit of post hoc thinking going on with that study.
23-05-2015, 10:11 AM
(23-05-2015 10:07 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  And I would not be surprised if religion was magnyfying fear of death with all eternal damnation shit.

No hell? Don't matter, general observation still stands.

As for non-existence, yes it must be quite scary Rolleyes But it is your life and your fears.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-05-2015, 10:14 AM
(23-05-2015 10:07 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  And I would not be surprised if religion was magnyfying fear of death with all eternal damnation shit.

If you were to live your lifetime in reverse you'd go from life... birth.... non existence.

It the same thing going forward except it's life....death.....non existence.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-05-2015, 10:17 AM
(23-05-2015 10:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:07 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  I'm bnei noah, we don't have hell. Non-existence itself is scary enough for me

If you were to live your lifetime in reverse you'd go from life... birth.... non existence.

It the same thing going forward except it's life....death.....non existence.
Once I was poor then I became rich so I shouldn't worry about becoming poor again?
23-05-2015, 10:24 AM
This Article and "research" is BS. Being afraid of death is not contained to a certain group, being afraid of death is a Human thing. Not everyone is afraid of death but some are, everyone has their own fears. I for one, am afraid of death, it has kept me awake some nights. I'm sure there are even some Christians who fear it still. To say Atheists cause thoughts of death is just another half-assed attempt to give them more bad rep and just another example as to why some theists are scum to low ball atheists anyway they can.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
23-05-2015, 10:41 AM
(23-05-2015 09:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Another one? And why you would be concerned for someone not fearing death? You apparently confusing not being afraid of death with careless behaviour or some such. I do not fear death but that don't mean I wan't to die, or I'm taking the unnecesary risk.

Also as Epicurus said - “Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not.”

As atheists, we deal with our fear of death. We go through the grieving process and finally end up at a state of acceptance. It doesn't mean we lose the fear of death, but the thought no longer paralyzes us, or controls us. Religion allows people to stay in the denial stage of grieving, which is rather unhealthy and unfortunate IMO.

Szuchow,

Perhaps it comes down to semantics. Would you be more comfortable if we called it "desire to not die," or "desire to keep living," rather than "fear of death"?
23-05-2015, 10:47 AM
(23-05-2015 10:41 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 09:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Another one? And why you would be concerned for someone not fearing death? You apparently confusing not being afraid of death with careless behaviour or some such. I do not fear death but that don't mean I wan't to die, or I'm taking the unnecesary risk.

Also as Epicurus said - “Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not.”

As atheists, we deal with our fear of death. We go through the grieving process and finally end up at a state of acceptance. It doesn't mean we lose the fear of death, but the thought no longer paralyzes us, or controls us. Religion allows people to stay in the denial stage of grieving, which is rather unhealthy and unfortunate IMO.

Szuchow,

Perhaps it comes down to semantics. Would you be more comfortable if we called it "desire to not die," or "desire to keep living," rather than "fear of death"?

There is no we in atheist I think. Only thing in common atheist have is absence of faith, so there can not be generalization which tell how atheist deal with something.

I think it isn't about semantics, but rather how one feel about death, as in end of life not the process of dying. I do not fear death, I only hope dying won't be painfull, though I'm not afraid as it wouldn't change anything. You on the other hand say that you are afraid of death. So it's not semantics I suppose.

Mikhail Bakunin.