studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
(23-05-2015 10:59 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  There is no we in atheist I think. Only thing in common atheist have is absence of faith, so there can not be generalization which tell how atheist deal with something.

I think it isn't about semantics, but rather how one feel about death, as in end of life not the process of dying. I do not fear death, I only hope dying won't be painfull, though I'm not afraid as it wouldn't change anything. You on the other hand say that you are afraid of death. So it's not semantics I suppose.

I don't believe you.

You say that you hope that your death isn't painful, and I would agree, but suicide is the only way to ensure a pain-free death. If you are truly 100% neutral about death, then suicide would be the only logical choice, and you should do it quickly because every minute that you're alive, there is a chance that something could cause you a very painful death.

I believe it is semantics.

Dying in your sleep at an old age is pain free. Anything that kills you pretty much very quick will also be mostly pain free.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
23-05-2015, 11:02 AM
(23-05-2015 10:57 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:56 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  HA! I'd love to do it sometime. I need a black robe.

I'll dress up as Satan and we can walk in at the same time, that'll really give them a scare lol

YES! If you're satan though you have to go all out on the costume. Think Darkness from Legend. Evil_monster
23-05-2015, 11:03 AM
(23-05-2015 11:02 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:57 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'll dress up as Satan and we can walk in at the same time, that'll really give them a scare lol

YES! If you're satan though you have to go all out on the costume. Think Darkness from Legend. Evil_monster

Totally Evil_monster

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
23-05-2015, 11:04 AM
(23-05-2015 10:59 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:57 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Tell that to reform jews or universalists

Well you are neither one of those I believe so.
And? Prove me logically your claim that religion causes poverty.
23-05-2015, 11:05 AM
(23-05-2015 10:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  There is no we in atheist I think. Only thing in common atheist have is absence of faith, so there can not be generalization which tell how atheist deal with something.

I think it isn't about semantics, but rather how one feel about death, as in end of life not the process of dying. I do not fear death, I only hope dying won't be painfull, though I'm not afraid as it wouldn't change anything. You on the other hand say that you are afraid of death. So it's not semantics I suppose.

I don't believe you.

You say that you hope that your death isn't painful, and I would agree, but suicide is the only way to ensure a pain-free death. If you are truly 100% neutral about death, then suicide would be the only logical choice, and you should do it quickly because every minute that you're alive, there is a chance that something could cause you a very painful death.

I believe it is semantics.

Your belief is irrelevant.

More than that you're spouting nonsense. Not being afraid of death and hope that dying won't be painfull isn't reason enough to commit suicide, not for me at least. Also suicide too can be painful.

As for semantics, again your belief is irrelevant, and your reasoning is let's say flawed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2015, 11:07 AM
(23-05-2015 11:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Dying in your sleep at an old age is pain free. Anything that kills you pretty much very quick will also be mostly pain free.

I'm talking about GURANTEEING a pain free death. I'm sorry, but suicide is the only way to do that.
23-05-2015, 11:07 AM
(23-05-2015 11:02 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anything that kills you pretty much very quick will also be mostly pain free.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=624_1366952938
23-05-2015, 11:09 AM
(23-05-2015 11:04 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:59 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well you are neither one of those I believe so.
And? Prove me logically your claim that religion causes poverty.

Well it was more of a play on words than an actual claim but a 2010 Gallop poll did show the poorest nations did have highest counts of religious residents.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
23-05-2015, 11:09 AM
(23-05-2015 10:07 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  And I would not be surprised if religion was magnyfying fear of death with all eternal damnation shit.
I'm bnei noah, we don't have hell. Non-existence itself is scary enough for me

It might be scary now but when it happens you won't worry about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
23-05-2015, 11:10 AM

I don't believe you.

You say that you hope that your death isn't painful, and I would agree, but suicide is the only way to ensure a pain-free death. If you are truly 100% neutral about death, then suicide would be the only logical choice, and you should do it quickly because as long as you're alive, there is a chance that something could cause you a very painful death.

This is silly reasoning, insofar as it ignores the fact that smart folks can use their heads to minimize the risks of a very painful death, and balance that against the many pleasures life has to offer.

I'm not afraid of death; I've faced it in several different ways over the years, and I fought to avoid it, not because I'm afraid of death, but -- get this -- I love life.

This is what the death-merchants and fear-mongers of religion never understand -- the love of life. Their very narratives invariably denigrate the earthly life in favor of the afterlife, and foster self-loathing in believers.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post