studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
(23-05-2015 11:14 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 11:09 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well it was more of a play on words than an actual claim but a 2010 Gallop poll did show the poorest nations did have highest counts of religious residents.
Quote: One theory is that religion plays a more functional role in the world's poorest countries, helping many residents cope with a daily struggle to provide for themselves and their families. A previous Gallup analysis supports this idea, revealing that the relationship between religiosity and emotional wellbeing is stronger among poor countries than among those in the developed world.
You said that religion causes poverty

I would say that poverty causes religion..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
23-05-2015, 11:24 AM
(23-05-2015 11:21 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 11:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I suffer from severe depression, many times i have had the thought and feeling of suicide, many times i have wanted to end my own life. I know what it feels like to want to die and i feel with my experience i can rightfully say its chickening out. Its giving up, its becoming weak.

I'm sorry you're depressed, but do you really believe that terminally ill people who use suicide to ease the pain of death are cowards?

No, but thats different, they will die anyways whether it be suicide or their illness, I'm referring to people who still have a lot to live for and who think about taking their lives for reasons not as serious as a serious illness.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
23-05-2015, 11:26 AM
(23-05-2015 11:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I suffer from severe depression, many times i have had the thought and feeling of suicide, many times i have wanted to end my own life. I know what it feels like to want to die and i feel with my experience i can rightfully say its chickening out. Its giving up, its becoming weak.
So fear of showing others your weakness keeps you going? It is illogical because others will die too and forget about your weakness.
23-05-2015, 11:28 AM
(23-05-2015 11:26 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
So fear of showing others your weakness keeps you going? It is illogical because others will die too and forget about your weakness.

No, being strong, having massive support and not giving into the weakness keeps me going.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
23-05-2015, 11:38 AM
(23-05-2015 11:10 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  This is silly reasoning, insofar as it ignores the fact that smart folks can use their heads to minimize the risks of a very painful death, and balance that against the many pleasures life has to offer.

I'm not afraid of death; I've faced it in several different ways over the years, and I fought to avoid it, not because I'm afraid of death, but -- get this -- I love life.

This is what the death-merchants and fear-mongers of religion never understand -- the love of life. Their very narratives invariably denigrate the earthly life in favor of the afterlife, and foster self-loathing in believers.

Back to the semantics bit.....you can call it "desire to not die", I call it "fear of death." I believe we are actually talking about the same thing.
23-05-2015, 12:25 PM
(23-05-2015 11:38 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Back to the semantics bit.....you can call it "desire to not die", I call it "fear of death." I believe we are actually talking about the same thing.

No, it's not semantics at all.

You can redefine a phrase any way you wish, but that doesn't mean your personal redefinition is apt. Nor does it mean that you telling other people what they feel is accurate.

You may believe we are talking about the same thing; that says more about you than me.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
23-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I think you fear the word fear.

I reckon we'll have to agree to disagree though....
23-05-2015, 12:41 PM
You cannot say suicide guarantees a pain-free death. As someone who long ago had suicide attempts (while theist), I can assure you that you cannot say that.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
23-05-2015, 12:45 PM
(23-05-2015 12:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  You cannot say suicide guarantees a pain-free death. As someone who long ago had suicide attempts (while theist), I can assure you that you cannot say that.

Well if you re-read my posts, you'll see that indeed I didn't say that. I said that the ONLY way a pain-free death can be guaranteed, is by suicide.

Suicide, if done properly, can yield a death that is free from physical pain. Are you disputing this statement? Think euthanasia....
23-05-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm saying that we do not know what's going on during death. As an example, when my father died from a cerebral hemorrhage I told the doc don't sugarcoat anything. I asked, is he in pain? He said no one knows because no one gets that far and comes back. He had enough morphine that he probably couldn't feel his body. Do I know my dad didn't suffer when we pulled the plug? No.

I'm disputing saying it can guarantee a pain-free death. Unless you've died via euthanasia and come back, you don't know for sure, either.

Are you saying you know no one suffers during euthanasia just because their body is unresponsive?
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post