studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 01:21 PM
RE: studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
You're right clockwork, I have never died.

However, all of the evidence suggests that euthanasia in which the person loses consciousness (goes to sleep), and then dies, wouldn't be physically painful. When people are unconscious, we can perform surgery on their heart and brain (and other organs) and there is no recollection of pain. We can only assume that death during sleep would also be without pain.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2015, 01:27 PM
studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
I have no problem saying I think that's right. I'm not trying to bust your balls, honestly. It was the "guarantee" part that got me. So, yeah, there's a very good chance it's peaceful but I still don't think we can guarantee it.

I think we agree up to 99%. I'm just not prepared to say it's a guarantee that the body doesn't try to fight back in some sort of last ditch fight-or-flight response held over from our days as scared little apes. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
23-05-2015, 01:36 PM
fair enoughSmile
23-05-2015, 02:25 PM
(23-05-2015 11:38 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Back to the semantics bit.....you can call it "desire to not die", I call it "fear of death." I believe we are actually talking about the same thing.

I see those as two completely distinct things. I am not looking forward to death, am concerned that dying may be a painful process, and am pissed off that it isn't something I can control in the end, but I am not afraid of it. When I die there will be no more sensation or thought so it isn't something to be afraid of, just something to avoid for as long as possible.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
23-05-2015, 02:31 PM
So if the doc you told you that you only had 2 weeks to live, it wouldn't shake you to the core?

You'd probably go right into telling him some joke you heard the other day right?

I can tell you that for most of us, it would be a big deal, and it would be kind of sucky. And there's nothing wrong with that. We're hard wired (by evolution) to want to avoid death. It's a perfectly natural thing.
23-05-2015, 02:40 PM
(23-05-2015 10:54 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You remember being poor, you don't remember non existence.
Another try. I was born into billionaire family. I should not worry about becoming poor?

Sure, worry all you want. You exist as a billionaire, perhaps you will exist in poverty in the future, all the while having memories of those billionair days. The only reason you might worry about the living past or the living future is because you actually exist and have the memories in your brain.

Going back in time before you existed, do you have memories and experiences of being in the Battle of Agincourt in 1425? What about the Toluid Civil War in China in 1260 between Kublai Khan and his younger brother, Ariq Böke. Did you worried about it then? What about the formation of our solar system, or the Big Bang....when you didn't exist? Did you worry billions of years ago?

When you die you won't exist to be worrying about anything existing because...... you won't exist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-05-2015, 02:49 PM
(23-05-2015 02:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  So if the doc you told you that you only had 2 weeks to live, it wouldn't shake you to the core?

You'd probably go right into telling him some joke you heard the other day right?

I can tell you that for most of us, it would be a big deal, and it would be kind of sucky. And there's nothing wrong with that. We're hard wired (by evolution) to want to avoid death. It's a perfectly natural thing.

Who are you responding to? If me then yes, I'd be shaken, but not from fear of being dead. I'd be angry that my time was being cut short and anxious about tying up loose ends and probably doing things that I'd always wanted to but had put off. It would be a very big deal and I'd be trying to find a way to avoid it. It's just that not wanting something isn't the same as fearing it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
23-05-2015, 03:23 PM
(23-05-2015 02:49 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Who are you responding to? If me then yes, I'd be shaken, but not from fear of being dead. I'd be angry that my time was being cut short and anxious about tying up loose ends and probably doing things that I'd always wanted to but had put off. It would be a very big deal and I'd be trying to find a way to avoid it. It's just that not wanting something isn't the same as fearing it.

In that case I'm going to stick with my semantics claim.
23-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Let me put it another way.

If a man is mugging you and puts a gun to your head, and you're not scared, then something isn't working right in your brain.
23-05-2015, 03:29 PM
(23-05-2015 03:27 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Let me put it another way.

If a man is mugging you and puts a gun to your head, and you're not scared, then something isn't working right in your brain.

Or you're Chuck Norris.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post