studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2015, 07:00 AM
RE: studies - atheists inspire thoughts of death
I have a fear of death in the sense of the act itself, but not of being dead. I'll be unaware that I'm dead so no biggie, but I've been up close at some horrific car accidents that provide fear of death in that manner. And I surely would hate to drown or any painful death, and even that wasn't physically painful but took long enough for me to know I was dying because at this moment I want to live.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Alright....last thing I have to say about this.

To me saying, "I don't fear death, but only the consequences and implications of death," is kind of like saying "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned." It's a reluctance to call a spade a spade.
24-05-2015, 07:32 AM
(24-05-2015 07:30 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Alright....last thing I have to say about this.

To me saying, "I don't fear death, but only the consequences and implications of death," is kind of like saying "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned." It's a reluctance to call a spade a spade.

I'd hate to be you growing old... the constantly growing fear must be unbearable.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
24-05-2015, 07:51 AM
(24-05-2015 07:30 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Alright....last thing I have to say about this.

I'm sorry that you are unable to understand nuance or make distinctions between related ideas.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
24-05-2015, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2015 08:52 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(24-05-2015 06:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 12:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Simply because you fear it, and many others do, doesn't mean that that fear is universal.

I'm not claiming that its universal, I'm only claiming that a person won't live very long with out it.

There are plenty of folks who falsify this, too.

(24-05-2015 06:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  We know that empathy and remorse seem to be missing in psychopaths, which make up a small percentage of the population. Maybe there is a similar percentage of the population that for whatever reason, is lacking a natural fear of death...who knows?

This is a fine example of poisoning the well.

(24-05-2015 06:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I'm simply arguing that it's a fear of death (or desire to avoid death if we prefer to call it that) that makes you swerve back into your lane when you notice that you've started to drift into the lane of oncoming traffic.

And I'm arguing that it is not fear, for everyone, but rather, that some of us love life enough to preserve it.

You don't understand the difference, it's cool. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to explain it to you.

(24-05-2015 06:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I would argue that it's a fear of death that keeps you from going inside a lion's cage.

Or, alternatively, it's an abhorrence of the pain that comes with being eaten alive?

(24-05-2015 06:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I would say that the "desire to avoid death" is what gets people to quit smoking, or make any healthy choices. Again, I think the word "fear" perhaps has too many negative connotations for some to accept it as the proper word.

And I disagree, for obvious reasons. You give that word far too large an umbrella in a world that sees skydiving and white-water rafting and scuba-diving as sport.

(24-05-2015 06:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  For me:

Desire to keep living = desire to avoid death

desire to avoid death = fear of death

fear of death = desire to keep living

I suppose that if there is disagreement, then we might only be arguing about definitions of words.

Either way, I hope no one gets too upset....after all, I'm just a troll.

No, we're not arguing about definitions of words. We're arguing about different outlooks. The reason we disagree is because you cannot see beyond your own outlook, and insist on imposing it upon others who don't share your own view. You keep trying to retreat into semantics in an attempt to avoid understanding that not everyone shares your fear of death, or at least in the intensity you display it.

Oh, and yes, in that other thread, you're acting like a concern troll. Why you're dragging that comment into this, unrelated thread is beyond me. But hey, I like to call a spade a spade, and what you're doing there strikes me as concern trolling -- pretending to like this or that atheist, but in reality subtly pushing ideas that are classic theistic arguments. Coupled with this long-winded diatribe about how "everyone fears death", it gives me pause to doubt your sincerity. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies, but don't worry ... you'll live.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2015, 08:27 AM
(24-05-2015 08:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No, we're not arguing about definitions of words. We're arguing about different outlooks. The reason we disagree is because you cannot see beyond your own outlook, and insist on imposing it upon others who don't share your own view. You keep trying to retreat into semantics in an attempt to avoid understanding that not everyone shares your fear of death, or at least in the intensity you display it.

Oh, and yes, in that other thread, you're being a concern troll. Why you're dragging that comment into this, unrelated thread is beyond me. But hey, I like to call a spade a spade, and what you're doing there strikes me as concern trolling -- pretending to like this or that atheist, but in reality subtly pushing ideas that are classic theistic arguments. Coupled with this long-winded diatribe about how "everyone fears death", it gives me pause to doubt your sincerity. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies, but don't worry ... you'll live.

Very astute. Spot on assessment. IMO Thumbsup

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
24-05-2015, 07:56 PM
(23-05-2015 11:21 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 11:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I suffer from severe depression, many times i have had the thought and feeling of suicide, many times i have wanted to end my own life. I know what it feels like to want to die and i feel with my experience i can rightfully say its chickening out. Its giving up, its becoming weak.

I'm sorry you're depressed, but do you really believe that terminally ill people who use suicide to ease the pain of death are cowards?

No, they are rational.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-05-2015, 08:31 PM
I think part of the fear of death isn't so much the dying, but not being able to understand the concept of death.
The fear comes from what has been built up in their minds about what happens after death. The idea that you somehow carry on, with thoughts, hopes, regrets, etc..
Letting go of those ideas is necessary to be free of that fear.
Understanding that once dead, we don't even know that we are dead. Just a long dreamless sleep.
Nothing to be afraid of.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
25-05-2015, 01:21 AM
(24-05-2015 08:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think part of the fear of death isn't so much the dying, but not being able to understand the concept of death.
The fear comes from what has been built up in their minds about what happens after death. The idea that you somehow carry on, with thoughts, hopes, regrets, etc..
Understanding that once dead, we don't even know that we are dead. Just a long dreamless sleep.
Nothing to be afraid of.

Exactly. Just deep, dreamless sleep, so why freaking out? It will happen to everybody and fear could only posion life, which I think should be enjoyed not spent on thinking about death.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
25-05-2015, 01:20 PM
(25-05-2015 01:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-05-2015 08:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think part of the fear of death isn't so much the dying, but not being able to understand the concept of death.
Nothing to be afraid of.

Exactly. Just deep, dreamless sleep, so why freaking out? It will happen to everybody and fear could only posion life, which I think should be enjoyed not spent on thinking about death.

Exactly. Like I posted earlier, it's the same going forwards as it is going backwards. It's a palindrome.

Non existence......life......non existence.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.