studying about the bible but never deconverting question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 02:58 PM
studying about the bible but never deconverting question
Anither thread got me thinking about this, and thinking of my inlaws.

I visited my inlaws home a few years ago, in one room 3 walls were completely covered in books, floor to ceiling, shelf after shelf. The first couple that I glanced at had books about the bible- no surprise, but later in the visit I happened to be alone in that room while taking a phone call and I started looking at the titles more closely. I expected to see a variety of stuff, fiction, reference, family albums, travel, but I didnt. These people have travelled all over the world, loads of trips, over many, many years. One small shelf had travel materials, the ENTIRE rest of the room were books on the bible.

Books on the various authors of yhe bible, books on bible proofs, books on intelligent design, books on how to argue with atheists, books on prayer, books on parenting with the bible in mind, every topic under the sun and how it connects to the bible. It honestly blew me away. It was the moment that I realized that my inlaws werent just religious people but crossed the line into whacko.

So in many of these books the arguments being used against the bible is surely being presented so that the way to win the arguement can be shown. So I feel like they have in some way been exposed to the criticisms.

Many people here have said they wanted to strenghten their faith and were seeking out more info. And when they did that, their faith fell apart. How can my inlaws have all of this info and still be so set in fundie land?

I dont understand.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2014, 03:04 PM
RE: studying about the bible but never deconverting question
(10-11-2014 02:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Anither thread got me thinking about this, and thinking of my inlaws.

I visited my inlaws home a few years ago, in one room 3 walls were completely covered in books, floor to ceiling, shelf after shelf. The first couple that I glanced at had books about the bible- no surprise, but later in the visit I happened to be alone in that room while taking a phone call and I started looking at the titles more closely. I expected to see a variety of stuff, fiction, reference, family albums, travel, but I didnt. These people have travelled all over the world, loads of trips, over many, many years. One small shelf had travel materials, the ENTIRE rest of the room were books on the bible.

Books on the various authors of yhe bible, books on bible proofs, books on intelligent design, books on how to argue with atheists, books on prayer, books on parenting with the bible in mind, every topic under the sun and how it connects to the bible. It honestly blew me away. It was the moment that I realized that my inlaws werent just religious people but crossed the line into whacko.

So in many of these books the arguments being used against the bible is surely being presented so that the way to win the arguement can be shown. So I feel like they have in some way been exposed to the criticisms.

Many people here have said they wanted to strenghten their faith and were seeking out more info. And when they did that, their faith fell apart. How can my inlaws have all of this info and still be so set in fundie land?

I dont understand.

Welcome to my world. My FIL is one of the most intelligent men I've met. He has spent thousands of dollars on books, 99% of which are Christian. One entire room in his house is given over to his library. It was partially through reading his collection that I deconverted and yet he remains a strong Christian. I can only echo what you said - I don't understand.

Doc
10-11-2014, 03:10 PM
It's confirmation bias, when you're confronted with contradictory evidence to your worldview you can honestly reassess your worldview or take an us vs. them mentality and double-down on your wrongness. It's a mentality that's committed to proving those evil atheists wrong!
They have become masters at being wrong and being able to argue about it ad-nauseam.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
10-11-2014, 03:11 PM
The inlaws really are quite a puzzle to me.
i would hope that when people travel the world, meet people from other cultures, learn the history of the area, etc that you would become more open to others ideas.

and one of the reasons they teavelled was because they loved going to the Worlds Fair, which is all science and technology stuff? right?

FIL was (retired) an engineer by trade, so how do you have a love for science, travel extensively, and yet be so fucked in the head?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
10-11-2014, 03:37 PM
(10-11-2014 03:11 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  The inlaws really are quite a puzzle to me.
i would hope that when people travel the world, meet people from other cultures, learn the history of the area, etc that you would become more open to others ideas.

and one of the reasons they teavelled was because they loved going to the Worlds Fair, which is all science and technology stuff? right?

FIL was (retired) an engineer by trade, so how do you have a love for science, travel extensively, and yet be so fucked in the head?

Wow. When I read stories like yours I'm sooooo glad I don't have in-laws like this. My father-in-law is an atheist so I really lucked out. My mother-is-law was raised a Catholic but is I guess you'd call her a lapsed Catholic.

There seems to be some sort of grip religion has on the mind. It mixes with the fear of death and never lets go.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
10-11-2014, 04:07 PM
(10-11-2014 03:10 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It's confirmation bias, when you're confronted with contradictory evidence to your worldview you can honestly reassess your worldview or take an us vs. them mentality and double-down on your wrongness. It's a mentality that's committed to proving those evil atheists wrong!
They have become masters at being wrong and being able to argue about it ad-nauseam.

I've posted this previously but it mirrors your observation:

The backfire effect predicts that if you present some people with evidence that contradicts their strongly held beliefs it will reinforce their existing opinions, rather than changing them.
~ Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Well I've been here for over 2 years, I rarely post but I give at least a cursory glance at almost every thread in A + T, and I'm significantly more religious now than when I started. I think it has to do with the fact that when your given a question you don't know the answer to then you have to look it up. After 2000 years just about every question has been asked and as such answered. Of course I believe they've been answered satisfactorily whereas you don't.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
10-11-2014, 05:50 PM
(10-11-2014 05:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well I've been here for over 2 years, I rarely post but I give at least a cursory glance at almost every thread in A + T, and I'm significantly more religious now than when I started. I think it has to do with the fact that when your given a question you don't know the answer to then you have to look it up. After 2000 years just about every question has been asked and as such answered. Of course I believe they've been answered satisfactorily whereas you don't.

What about when those answers are shown to have been wrong? Being satisfied with wrong answers seems kind of fucked up.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
10-11-2014, 07:55 PM
It makes me wonder if they can't cope with the fact that they're wrong about so much.
Rather than concede to reason, they dig in their heels and fight it even harder.
It's a very 'bury your head in the sand' attitude.
10-11-2014, 08:04 PM
(10-11-2014 05:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 05:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Well I've been here for over 2 years, I rarely post but I give at least a cursory glance at almost every thread in A + T, and I'm significantly more religious now than when I started. I think it has to do with the fact that when your given a question you don't know the answer to then you have to look it up. After 2000 years just about every question has been asked and as such answered. Of course I believe they've been answered satisfactorily whereas you don't.

What about when those answers are shown to have been wrong? Being satisfied with wrong answers seems kind of fucked up.

Never really had an answer seem particularly wrong. Tends to be the opposite really. The more answers I get the more things make sense. Hence why I'm now more religious now than when I started.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc