studying about the bible but never deconverting question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: studying about the bible but never deconverting question
cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing. When, I assume, intelligent people are faced with two choices (in this case to believe or not) they will go with what makes them feel better -- instead of where the truth might lead them. I've known a few people who just couldn't face a world without god. The very idea is terrifying to them.

For me, I wish there was a god, I think the idea of god is a nice comforting ideal. All the horrible things that have happened in my life were just part of his plan and I'd be rewarded with an infinite understanding of all things when I died.

Nice idea in theory. But the truth is god is no more real than Zeus or any of the other gods that were suppose to exist. Eventually...over time, like all the beliefs this one will eventually fade away leaving us with some cultural influence but little else.

With that potential change always comes with fear.

Just my 2cents

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-11-2014, 08:01 AM
(10-11-2014 02:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Anither thread got me thinking about this, and thinking of my inlaws.

I visited my inlaws home a few years ago, in one room 3 walls were completely covered in books, floor to ceiling, shelf after shelf. The first couple that I glanced at had books about the bible- no surprise, but later in the visit I happened to be alone in that room while taking a phone call and I started looking at the titles more closely. I expected to see a variety of stuff, fiction, reference, family albums, travel, but I didnt. These people have travelled all over the world, loads of trips, over many, many years. One small shelf had travel materials, the ENTIRE rest of the room were books on the bible.

Books on the various authors of yhe bible, books on bible proofs, books on intelligent design, books on how to argue with atheists, books on prayer, books on parenting with the bible in mind, every topic under the sun and how it connects to the bible. It honestly blew me away. It was the moment that I realized that my inlaws werent just religious people but crossed the line into whacko.

So in many of these books the arguments being used against the bible is surely being presented so that the way to win the arguement can be shown. So I feel like they have in some way been exposed to the criticisms.

Many people here have said they wanted to strenghten their faith and were seeking out more info. And when they did that, their faith fell apart. How can my inlaws have all of this info and still be so set in fundie land?

I dont understand.

I think it depends on the nature of the material they are studying. The religious based book will not give information that will make you question your faith. In my personal experience I went past the books written by religious to secular histories and bible scholars. Those are the books that will get you questioning and digging more, not a denomination specific reference guide. Next time you are there check out the books and see where they come from.

My wife has done tons of bible studies, but they are all catholic led so not the type that will open a person to questioning.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
12-11-2014, 10:57 AM
(10-11-2014 02:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  How can my inlaws have all of this info and still be so set in fundie land?

I think it comes down to myth and message. Both exist. Both are real. One doesn't discount the other. One can even see and recognize the myth, but see it as method.
12-11-2014, 04:54 PM
(10-11-2014 09:08 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 08:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  And there you go, a perfect example of what Nyhan and Reifler referred to.

Quite possibly. I already know about this and I know I'm quite good at it ( to much philosophy Smile ). But don't forget you guys do it to. That's why I don't try and convert anyone on this site. Any evidence I put forward will just cause whoever I'm debating to go into lock down.

Do you have questions regarding the validity of your faith?

9 times out of 10 when I ask this question I get the automatic response of NO but based on facts about what we know regarding the observable Universe, "NO" indicates that you are either ignorant or stubborn. This isn't even debatable. Unless you have your head in the sand regarding the facts about our universe you almost have to have questions regarding your faith and/or what your faith asserts as fact. I know you can think of at least one question regarding the validity of your faith so I would expect your answer to be YES and if that's the case then you are halfway to freedom my friend.

Do you want to live your life fearfully or logically?

Today scientists discovered 3 infants in Alaska frozen in ice for nearly 11,500 years. One of the 3 was a stillborn and I think the other two were around 3 or 4 yrs old when they died. How do you resolve this with what your faith has taught you regarding the history of man kind? 11,500 years ago these children were alive and well. Remember to answer the question fearlessly. If you allow fear to discourage you from logic then you are living your life fearfully and not logically. Make no mistake about it, any religion that includes damnation is a fear based religion relying heavily on fear to discourage you from logic and ultimately into the lock down mode you are referring to.