stuff my feelings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 09:08 AM
stuff my feelings
In the past two years, I have been stuffing my feelings with food because of depression and anxiety.

I am now obese. I used to be skinny and athletic.

I'm tired of being fat and I'm tired of spending money on fast food when it doesn't do anything for me. I'm tired of compensating some insecurity with food.

I know I come on here a lot, but I just enjoy learning from other people.

do you do this too? Did you used to? How do you overcome this?

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: stuff my feelings
I never ate bad from depression; I just ate bad because that's what was given to me. Growing up I've just made little changes here and there, like eating less sweets, avoiding soda and fast food, etc. Now I am actually trying to eat healthier.

I've never been fat, I've always had a fast metabolism, but I do feel weak or easily tired sometimes. Just get back on track with diet and exercise, little by little you'll get back to your skinny self.

On a side note, I'd recommend this thing, I think it's called "juicing"? Not really sure, but basically you buy that Nutribullet thing that's always on tv and throw a shit ton of fruit, veggies and nuts into it to make a smoothy.
My mom started doing this and got me to try it. The drinks are actually pretty good (if you get fresh fruit) and I have noticed a huge change in energy and stamina. Check it out Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
07-05-2014, 10:07 AM
focus on one area to change at a time, it helps to feel successful so that you continue to make other changes down the road.

I like a phone app called My Fitness Pal for its food logging. You can save favorite items, add items, just scan the bar code with your phone camera. It can show you what vitamins your diet is lacking, etc. Plus at the end of each day it tells you what you would weigh if you ate like that for a week. Also, if you walk it can use the gps in your phone to log how far, how fast, and it deducts those calories from what you ate. It logs other types of exercise too, and connect fitbits, etc. It also has a member forum to connect with others.

And its free!

Just change one thing.....a journey starts with the first step.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Most of my life I have been a stress/depression starver instead of an overeater...to the point of having to make myself eat.

But there was a period some years ago when I needed to take off a few pounds. I am crap when it comes to choosing the right foods and all that so I took a different approach. Since the kids were still all at home and we had full meals every night, I restricted myself to 'no second helpings'. Over time that has become a habit. I get my food and almost never go back for more. The weight started to come off with what was really little effort on my part other than being mindful of not going back for more, since the 'more' was usually the least healthy thing on the menu it seemed to work for me.

Pick something you know you can do and do that, other things will follow.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-05-2014, 03:06 PM
(07-05-2014 09:08 AM)elconquistador Wrote:  do you do this too? Did you used to? How do you overcome this?

If you can bear the thought of exercise, running's what sorted out my weight problems. Your mileage may vary.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-05-2014, 03:24 PM
(07-05-2014 03:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 09:08 AM)elconquistador Wrote:  do you do this too? Did you used to? How do you overcome this?

If you can bear the thought of exercise, running's what sorted out my weight problems. Your mileage may vary.

Har, har, har...Laughat

Seriously, exercise is something I can't commit to on a regular basis. And, unless someone is chasing me with a knife...running wouldn't be on my agenda.

I admire people who can do it and stick to it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2014, 03:38 PM
My problem was always not eating. You seem like you really want a change for yourself. It takes dedication to do that. You need to put your mind on exercising and eating a little healthier, but don't push yourself into eating salads for every meal a day and running 5 miles every morning. Take your time, and excise more and more, but gradually.

There may be a fitness/health store around your area, like a GNC. They usually have people there who can help you form a plan of healthy foods and exercises to get you on the right track.

Overall, you've got to stay positive, and look for other ways to handle your depression, stress and insecurities. Find a new TV show you like, go on a calm drive, pop in some headphones and take a stroll through the park. Or just get on your phone or computer, and come here.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
07-05-2014, 03:40 PM
(07-05-2014 03:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you can bear the thought of exercise, running's what sorted out my weight problems. Your mileage may vary.

Har, har, har...Laughat

Seriously, exercise is something I can't commit to on a regular basis. And, unless someone is chasing me with a knife...running wouldn't be on my agenda.

I didn't do it regularly for a long time and it was quite difficult to get into a routine - but I've always quite enjoyed it, so I kinda got a free pass with that one... different strokes for different folks though, as the archbishop said to the actress. Anything which gets you out in the sunshine...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-05-2014, 03:43 PM
(07-05-2014 03:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Har, har, har...Laughat

I didn't do it regularly for a long time and it was quite difficult to get into a routine - but I've always quite enjoyed it, so I kinda got a free pass with that one... different strokes for different folks though, as the archbishop said to the actress. Anything which gets you out in the sunshine...

I do best when I can get into the pool, unfortunately the swimming season here is much shorter than I had hoped.

My son runs and tracks his runs with some app he has. I didn't even like to run as a kid.

07-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Oh boy did I... Gained 70lbs in one year because of over eating and over drinking caused by depression. My first step was going to therapy. That got me motivated to make changes. The changes were easier than I thought. Just eating less of what you normally eat if you are over eating can be a huge help. Replacing things with healthier items is good too.

Like bows said, set very small goals, or try to change one thing at a time instead of going full boar to begin with. If you set your goals too high, and can't reach them, it can be so discouraging.

I'm happy to say that since July I've gotten all the depression weight off, and now I'm working on getting to a healthy weight (I was a little on the high side to begin with).

As for exercise, if you hate going to a gym like I do, try to add things you find fun to your life. Always loved volleyball or softball? See if there is a local adult team in your area you can join. Go for walks, ride your bike, or rollerblade on local trails. Remember even roaming around the mall and window shopping is better for you than sitting on a couch. 30 mins a day doesn't sound too daunting, right?

I know you can do it!!! Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post