stupid urge to pray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 05:04 PM
stupid urge to pray
i'm just using this forum to vent my stress and frustration. i'm waiting on an important decision and cannot concentrate on anything today. why is it such an innate impulse to want to pray when you are stuck in a situation like this? i've been an atheist for about 20 years (a vague agnostic/deist before that). i know there is no fairy in the sky who cares about my mundane problems. it's not even life-and-death.
it's just that my son's family is trying to sell their starter home (2 bedrooms, no basement) that they are outgrowing with 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 toddler, and another baby on the way. my husband and i worked our $%$@&'s off helping them get it ready to put on the market (paint, mr clean, etc). offers are supposed to be submitted this evening. so all day i cannot think of anything else. if they don't get a suitable offer they will either be stuck in that house or moving into mine...... and i am already dog-sitting and storing all their clutter, so neither outcome is inviting. but it's not earth-shattering.
now that the work is done, and the open house was yesterday, there is nothing we can all do but wait. deadline for offers is 7:30 pm. which is only a couple of hours away. so here i sit..... and i have this irresistable urge to pray, only because there is nothing else i can do.
my motto is "2 hands working accomplish more than 1000 clasped in prayer" which is why we worked so hard to help the kids out. at least that way, if the house sells we can say it was because of the hard work, and if it doesn't sell, at least we can say we tried. either way, there is no sky-daddy to thank.
does anyone else ever experience this urge to pray for a situation when they feel helpless to do anything else??? i feel ridiculous even thinking it.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: stupid urge to pray
(30-01-2012 05:04 PM)Fluffy Wrote:  i'm just using this forum to vent my stress and frustration. i'm waiting on an important decision and cannot concentrate on anything today. why is it such an innate impulse to want to pray when you are stuck in a situation like this? i've been an atheist for about 20 years (a vague agnostic/deist before that). i know there is no fairy in the sky who cares about my mundane problems. it's not even life-and-death.
it's just that my son's family is trying to sell their starter home (2 bedrooms, no basement) that they are outgrowing with 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 toddler, and another baby on the way. my husband and i worked our $%$@&'s off helping them get it ready to put on the market (paint, mr clean, etc). offers are supposed to be submitted this evening. so all day i cannot think of anything else. if they don't get a suitable offer they will either be stuck in that house or moving into mine...... and i am already dog-sitting and storing all their clutter, so neither outcome is inviting. but it's not earth-shattering.
now that the work is done, and the open house was yesterday, there is nothing we can all do but wait. deadline for offers is 7:30 pm. which is only a couple of hours away. so here i sit..... and i have this irresistable urge to pray, only because there is nothing else i can do.
my motto is "2 hands working accomplish more than 1000 clasped in prayer" which is why we worked so hard to help the kids out. at least that way, if the house sells we can say it was because of the hard work, and if it doesn't sell, at least we can say we tried. either way, there is no sky-daddy to thank.
does anyone else ever experience this urge to pray for a situation when they feel helpless to do anything else??? i feel ridiculous even thinking it.....

But it's mostly harmless. You could try meditation. Or alcohol.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Nope. Never get the urge to pray. I will from time to time look up and think or say what I want. I might lean back on the couch and look at the ceiling and think "Please don't do _____" or "I sure hope _______". But it's really just talking to myself.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
30-01-2012, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 05:22 PM by Fluffy.)
Wink RE: stupid urge to pray
meditation, yes. or a hot bath. alcohol, well then i would have 2 problems instead of only 1. but i would forget about both of them
germanyt you nailed it. i know i am just talking to myself..... it's so stupid. that's why venting to this forum helps, thanks for listening

Two hands working accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.
[+] 1 user Likes Fluffy's post
30-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Creative writing?
I'd say it's better than prayer anytime, your imagination is your limit
and in the end you come out with something nice.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
30-01-2012, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 10:38 PM by Fluffy.)
ok so here's the outcome. they got an offer on the house, literally at the last minute. the deadline was 7:30 pm, and at 7:20 their agent called to say she had no offers, but someone wanted to see the house right now. a guy came in, looked around, and made an offer. a bit of negotiation, and they took it.
so doesn't that seem like remarkable luck? a theist would thank god!!!!! my mother, who claimed to be a christian but it was really only cultural, would not have thanked god, but she would have thanked her "lucky stars".
if it had not worked out, what would we have blamed the bad luck on?
why is it that we tend to see agency in every coincidence??? no, don't bother to answer that, i have read Why We Believer in Gods by J Anderson Thomson (and i recommend it).
i know it's just serendipity, but geezzzzzz
(30-01-2012 05:27 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Creative writing?
I'd say it's better than prayer anytime, your imagination is your limit
and in the end you come out with something nice.

thanks for the idea, i did try working on an article for my local humanist association newsletter. anything to pass the time. and it accomplished more than praying would have!

[+] 1 user Likes Fluffy's post
31-01-2012, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 05:00 AM by Jeff.)
I've never had the urge to pray, but if it would make you feel better or relieve some stress, what harm could it do?
(30-01-2012 10:12 PM)Fluffy Wrote:  so doesn't that seem like remarkable luck?

No. When a deadline exists, people work with it in mind, so offers are going to to tend to come in close to deadline. An offer came in because you worked hard, made the place look nice, held an open house, and the agent was financially incentivized to find a buyer. No magic, no luck, no coincidence. I know I'm restating here what you already know.

Here's what luck would look like - before you did the hard work or signed a contract with the realtor, the doorbell rings and a man stands there saying he wants to buy the house before you do any work on it, and he's got a bag of cash and asks when you can move out.

Congratulations on the sale.

By the way, I'm curious about the deadline. If it hadn't sold, why couldn't you have just held another open house the following weekend, or continued to list it until sold?
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
31-01-2012, 08:29 AM
(30-01-2012 10:12 PM)Fluffy Wrote:  so doesn't that seem like remarkable luck?

No. When a deadline exists, people work with it in mind, so offers are going to to tend to come in close to deadline. An offer came in because you worked hard, made the place look nice, held an open house, and the agent was financially incentivized to find a buyer. No magic, no luck, no coincidence. I know I'm restating here what you already know.

Here's what luck would look like - before you did the hard work or signed a contract with the realtor, the doorbell rings and a man stands there saying he wants to buy the house before you do any work on it, and he's got a bag of cash and asks when you can move out.

By the way, I'm curious about the deadline. If it hadn't sold, why couldn't you have just held another open house the following weekend, or continued to list it until sold?
-------------------------------------------------

thanks. you did state what i already knew, but put that way, it's hilarious to read.
re the deadline. this city is a tricky market. the deadline is to encourage buyers to offer by that time, ie to encourage bidding and enable the vendor to accept the best offer. if there are no offers, then you can't expect to get your asking price - the house is still for sale, but the next offer will be low because the agents know that the house didn't sell by the initial deadline for bids. my son and dtr in law are young and cash-poor, they couldn't afford to sell below the asking price, hence the anxiety.

31-01-2012, 12:12 PM

(30-01-2012 05:04 PM)Fluffy Wrote:  i'm just using this forum to vent my stress and frustration. i'm waiting on an important decision and cannot concentrate on anything today. why is it such an innate impulse to want to pray when you are stuck in a situation like this? i've been an atheist for about 20 years (a vague agnostic/deist before that). i know there is no fairy in the sky who cares about my mundane problems. it's not even life-and-death.

I lost the 'urge' after about year 5 once deconverted.
Do what Carlin did...pray to Joe Pesci. You'll get the exact same results.

What WE used to call prayer, i now call 'quieting the mind'. I use it when i am brain blocked on something i am working hard on. I find that just removing myself from the situation and just be in in a moment of nothing really helps.

As for your situation, if you prayed and it worked out in a positive way..would you call that god?

What i find most amusing about my Xtian past and still hear it today..is when prayers are offered and what i had hoped for did not happen..it was still gods will. This is EXACTLY why Carlin's skit about praying to Joe Pesci is so spot on.

You are hoping for an intervention of god, like he did in the OT. Not gonna happen.
If you are looking for something to do while you wait, there are a truckload of free game apps for iphones that keep my wife busy!

D
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Denicio, I didn`t mean that i actually prayed. I just meant that when you`re in a situation where there is literally nothing to do but wait, i can understand why people feel that sense of "agency" and want to pray to something or someone. Feeling helpless makes you feel hopeless, so it seems natural to cling to any sort of crutch, no matter how silly.
This makes sense in the context of religion being more entrenched in societies that are poorer, less developed, and/or have weaker safety nets like welfare and subsidized health care. eg, if you don't understand disease or haven't got any money for treatment, then prayer, even though futile, seems like better than nothing.
I know that prayer is nothing more than talking to myself, or soothing myself, or however you want to word it.