super powered corner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2016, 07:16 AM
super powered corner
I am having an interesting problem. besides one group of characters in my books. all my characters seem to have the same set of powers... 1. power over fire. 2.power over ice. power of plants. 3. power of physics{quantum abilities}. to name a few. here is the thing though. I need to be able to come up with more types so I am not repeating myself over and over again. also I need to figure out and expand upon the quantum power set so hat It can be diverse enough to have a race in. any advice on how to keep things new and fresh. also what is the difference between astral magic and things like gravity manipulation.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2016, 11:11 AM
RE: super powered corner
(30-10-2016 07:16 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I am having an interesting problem. besides one group of characters in my books. all my characters seem to have the same set of powers... 1. power over fire. 2.power over ice. power of plants. 3. power of physics{quantum abilities}. to name a few. here is the thing though. I need to be able to come up with more types so I am not repeating myself over and over again. also I need to figure out and expand upon the quantum power set so hat It can be diverse enough to have a race in. any advice on how to keep things new and fresh. also what is the difference between astral magic and things like gravity manipulation.

The manipulation of gravity would lend to the speeding up or slowing down of time
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
31-10-2016, 01:09 AM
I think you keep things fresh by having a unique and relatable character back story. Along with that present obstacles that are personal or social in nature.

For instance Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four has a fire power. His personality matches that. He's impulsive. He's a hot head, but he also a symbol to young kids. In facts kids idolize him so much a few of them each year will cover themselves in gasoline and set themselves on fire trying to be like him.

That's something he has to deal with socially and personally.

I guess my point is, don't let the powers define the story. Let the people behind the power shine through.

You can create diversity in their powers which also creates limitations that the characters can fight to overcome.

Ice powers
Person A has a very cold touch from His right hand only. His mother was frozen to death when he was born. It's pretty much a disability for him. Anything he touches gets so cold, it becomes brittle and shatters. He can't be around large groups of people. No girlfriend. His family has abandoned him. He's quite lonely but he still does what he can to make the world a better place.

Person B Her heart is extremely cold. Her skin is blue and she has no heart beat. Her manipulation of her cold power only extends to making other people's hearts cold. She's an assassin who can kill anyone in the room by freezing their heart. She doesn't breathe and can exist underwater indefinitely. Recently she had fallen in love and noticed that her ability to freeze hearts has become erratic, not working at critical times. Patches of her skin are less blue than others and while with the person she loves, her heart slowly beats once an hour.

I'm not sure if these examples help, but there ya go.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
31-10-2016, 04:27 AM
ty guys.. those are some good suggestions. my real problem is I am not talking about just one book. I seem to use these themes/powers in every book I do.{not that I have released or finished many.} I want to be varied a little more between books so I am not just writing the same books buttttt..... I will consider what as been said here as well.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
31-10-2016, 04:43 AM
Try limiting the super powers so the characters need to find creative ways to use them, or give the powers serious drawbacks. The most boring and crappiest superhero of all is Superman.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
31-10-2016, 07:37 PM
In my book Kindred Lives, the main character is very powerful. He has a thin shield around his body that protects him from most anything, but if he wants to feel the wind on his skin or a kiss, that shield has to come down. He's not super strong. Strength is at human level, so when he's vulnerable, he can be knocked out.

He has a tattoo that allows him to see everything in the universe. Without it, he is blind. His optic nerve is severed. Blind since birth.

Each time he goes to sleep or becomes unconscious, the tattoo sends out a universal pulse that maps every particle in the universe. It goes offline for 3 hours to compile all the data. So if he should only take a 1 hour nap, he will be blind for 2 hours.

Most all of his powers are sight based.

So these are his weak points.
I think every character needs vulnerability.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-11-2016, 05:28 AM
I think power over inertia would be extremely effective. You could give your fist the inertia of a mountain when you hit something, you could also be extremely fast. Decrease your inertia to impart velocity then increase it so you couldn't be stopped.

Anyway, I think that would be secondary, a story about someone with great power would be interesting to me if he has to struggle within about how to use this power and then makes mistakes that hurt and/or kill a lot of people.

The use of his powers always hurts someone, but to not use his powers might hurt more people, this would be his struggle.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
01-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Let's see
What could you do with gravity manipulation ?
You can decrease it enough do that you could be propelled in the air, but every spot you flew over would also experience a sudden shift of gravity.

You could unintentionally kill a crowd of people by lowering gravity enough as you flew over them, hurling them 100 or more ft in the air.

Instead of manipulating gravity, it might be better to create pockets of gravity that you could control.
This way you could pull yourself into the air or you could multiply gravity to a certain place and hold someone to the ground or up in the air, a couple feet off the ground.

01-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Power over ice seems kind of pointless for most of the year, unless you live near one of the poles. How many times do you come across ice in your daily life? Sure you could mix your whisky on the rocks without having to touch it, or animate the dead fish in someone's freezer, but are there really many practical uses? Or would you have to walk around with a portable snow machine strapped to your back that sprays cold water everywhere?

With power over fire at least you could bring a few matches and combustible material with you.

One way of adding interesting limitations is by stipulating that any effect has to be compensated somehow. For example you could make gravity lower by increasing it elsewhere. Or if you can create fire then you make do so by heating up something and making something else colder. And vice versa if you can create ice, which would also require water. Which would make a battle between two people quite interesting if one has power over fire and the other has power over ice.