teach 2nd ammendment in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 07:00 AM
RE: teach 2nd ammendment in schools?
I guess there ain't really no difference between comedy and tragedy.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Regarding 2nd amendment: Yes. This has nothing to do with one's stance on guns. Someone who doesn't understand the basics of the constitution, whether they agree with what it says or not, is ill prepared to begin taking an active role in a democracy.

Regarding the teaching of gun safety: Without even getting into the debate of the concept itself (I'm a gun nut, nothing new to say on that), my first concern is that the teachers don't themselves know enough about gun safety to teach it.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2015, 07:51 AM
My grandfather had gun classes in school as a child. They brought their hunting rifles to school. School shut down the first week of hunting season. Kids were taught the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment, the way James Madison meant it when he wrote it. (if every American owned a gun, no standing army could take over America, nor could an overbearing American government rule -federalist papers #46)

Death is a debt we all must pay.
07-01-2015, 07:58 AM
I wish in middle school there was a unit where they spent about a week discussing each of them in depth-- not just the 2nd.

but, you know, if you go educating young people they might not put up with your shit anymore.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Learned about the basics of the constitution in school, but my stepfather taught me gun safety, starting with a bb gun when I was 8. Upgraded at around 10 after I'd demonstrated that gun safety, muzzle awareness, etc was instinctive.

That's also an important consideration. Gun safety is a habit. Understanding the theory isn't enough, though that's important too.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
07-01-2015, 09:00 AM
(07-01-2015 08:25 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Learned about the basics of the constitution in school, but my stepfather taught me gun safety, starting with a bb gun when I was 8. Upgraded at around 10 after I'd demonstrated that gun safety, muzzle awareness, etc was instinctive.

That's also an important consideration. Gun safety is a habit. Understanding the theory isn't enough, though that's important too.

I agree. Got my BB Gun (Daisy Red Rider Big Grin ) when I was 10 for my birthday. Had already been shooting (mostly bolt action 22 rifle) for a long time with my dad and brothers teaching and watching every shot. When I received the BB gun, I was free to roam our property (couple of acres surrounded by large farms and woods). As I approached middle and high school the firepower increased. Learned to reload 12 gauge more. Loved the 357 Mag. Went I moved out of the dorms into my own apartment, my dad bought me a .38.

I want to teach my girls, but not living in the country means paying range fees, sigh, it is a life long skill that requires practice.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-01-2015, 10:03 AM
If democrats dropped the 2nd amendment agenda and started supporting it, republicans would probably become extinct.

07-01-2015, 10:08 AM
(07-01-2015 10:03 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  If democrats dropped the 2nd amendment agenda and started supporting it, republicans would probably become extinct.

Like 85% of them already do? The Democrats for the most part are pro-gun there is not a true pro regulation or liberal party in the USA.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-01-2015, 10:27 AM
(07-01-2015 01:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 01:01 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, if parents want to teach their kids they can. It shouldn't be up to the schools.

What isn't up to the schools?

Knowledge of the Constitution, its interpretations, and the controversies should certainly be part of the curriculum.

I'm going to assume you didn't actually read the article. Smartass

I wouldn't want a school to teach my child to fire a gun. If you're pro gun and want to teach your kid to shoot, more power to you. But it shouldn't be part of any curriculum that they learn it in school.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-01-2015, 11:08 AM
(07-01-2015 10:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 01:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  What isn't up to the schools?

Knowledge of the Constitution, its interpretations, and the controversies should certainly be part of the curriculum.

I'm going to assume you didn't actually read the article. Smartass

I wouldn't want a school to teach my child to fire a gun. If you're pro gun and want to teach your kid to shoot, more power to you. But it shouldn't be part of any curriculum that they learn it in school.

I don't think it should be mandatory, but ok as an elective class like woodshop, cooking, sex ed with parents permission etc. I believe they still have shooting sports at some schools, at least they did in my time.