teach 2nd ammendment in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: teach 2nd ammendment in schools?
(07-01-2015 10:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 01:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  What isn't up to the schools?

Knowledge of the Constitution, its interpretations, and the controversies should certainly be part of the curriculum.

I'm going to assume you didn't actually read the article. Smartass

I wouldn't want a school to teach my child to fire a gun. If you're pro gun and want to teach your kid to shoot, more power to you. But it shouldn't be part of any curriculum that they learn it in school.

I read it. I think the proposal is a little over the top.

I don't think it should be mandatory, but having an elective like shop, home ec., or driver's ed. isn't unreasonable.

Many schools have rifle teams - even here in liberal Massachusetts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-01-2015, 11:30 AM
(07-01-2015 11:08 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 10:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm going to assume you didn't actually read the article. Smartass

I wouldn't want a school to teach my child to fire a gun. If you're pro gun and want to teach your kid to shoot, more power to you. But it shouldn't be part of any curriculum that they learn it in school.

I don't think it should be mandatory, but ok as an elective class like woodshop, cooking, sex ed with parents permission etc. I believe they still have shooting sports at some schools, at least they did in my time.

I took archery in school. Smile I was kinda dangerous with a bow and arrow (in a very bad way, I nearly hit an instructor).

My high school had a gun club, sponsored by the sheriff department and local law enforcement. Once a month all the kids could go to the police shooting range. They were taught gun safety and all that crap. They were not allowed to bring guns to school. It was a nice community outreach thing.

Many of them ended up in the ROTC thing.

Like I said no problem at all with that. Even an elective -- or sport like the olympics that have target shooting. No issue with me at all. I think it should be done, however off campus for safety reasons. not on the school track field. Wink

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-01-2015, 11:41 AM
(07-01-2015 11:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 10:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm going to assume you didn't actually read the article. Smartass

I read it. I think the proposal is a little over the top.

I don't think it should be mandatory, but having an elective like shop, home ec., or driver's ed. isn't unreasonable.

I have no issue with that. The article presented it, like math, reading, history, PE and shooting.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I think the US constitution should be taught in every classroom in the country.

Not just as a footnote in US history or government class., but a detailed semester long class that goes in depth why it's considered the supreme law of the land, and the reasons behind each of the amendments and why they came about to begin with.

I think the context of the law, is just as important as the written law themselves.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-01-2015, 11:44 AM
(07-01-2015 11:41 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 11:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  I read it. I think the proposal is a little over the top.

I have no issue with that. The article presented it, like math, reading, history, PE and shooting.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I think the US constitution should be taught in every classroom in the country.

Not just as a footnote in US history or government class., but a detailed semester long class that goes in depth why it's considered the supreme law of the land, and the reasons behind each of the amendments and why they came about to begin with.

I think the context of the law, is just as important as the written law themselves.

We are in violent agreement. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
07-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Quote:One bill — pre-filed in the state House — would create a Second Amendment Awareness Day to be held on Dec. 15 each year in all state schools, complete with a poster or essay contest centered on the theme "The Right To Bear Arms: One American Right Protecting All Others."

"Ok kids, tomorrow your final group projects on gun safety are due, as well as your essays deriving each of the other 26 amendments from the 2nd amendment. Remember, your visual aids can't include any pictures or replicas of weapons. Also, don't forget to bring snacks for the holiday party! We can eat during the presentations."

I actually did take rifle and handgun classes in both high school and college. Of course, they were extracurricular, not required by some blatantly politically motivated education law. What's up with this whole right-wing fixation on guns, anyway? It's not like there are that many liberals taking a hard stance on rescinding gun ownership, and the idea of people needing to arm themselves against a government with nukes and tanks at their disposal sounds pretty absurd to me. I always felt like the 2nd amendment, and definitely the 3rd, were kind of anachronisms from a bygone era, rather than things that should be at the forefront of modern-day political discussion.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
07-01-2015, 12:57 PM
(07-01-2015 12:46 PM)cactus Wrote:  
Quote:One bill — pre-filed in the state House — would create a Second Amendment Awareness Day to be held on Dec. 15 each year in all state schools, complete with a poster or essay contest centered on the theme "The Right To Bear Arms: One American Right Protecting All Others."

"Ok kids, tomorrow your final group projects on gun safety are due, as well as your essays deriving each of the other 26 amendments from the 2nd amendment. Remember, your visual aids can't include any pictures or replicas of weapons. Also, don't forget to bring snacks for the holiday party! We can eat during the presentations."

I actually did take rifle and handgun classes in both high school and college. Of course, they were extracurricular, not required by some blatantly politically motivated education law. What's up with this whole right-wing fixation on guns, anyway? It's not like there are that many liberals taking a hard stance on rescinding gun ownership, and the idea of people needing to arm themselves against a government with nukes and tanks at their disposal sounds pretty absurd to me. I always felt like the 2nd amendment, and definitely the 3rd, were kind of anachronisms from a bygone era, rather than things that should be at the forefront of modern-day political discussion.

You seriously just reminded me of a project I actually did in my US History class that involved making a collage.

I don't recall if the exact assignment was every student do their own project on an amendment or what exactly. Though I know I was doing a speech and report upon the 2nd amendment I mainly recall since I was using magazines I had to generate the pictures, I had Yoda with a lightsaber as well included in the images of other weapons to highlight despite the attention, guns are not the sole weapon in description intentionally.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-01-2015, 01:07 PM
(07-01-2015 04:14 AM)Nurse Wrote:  ... How is teaching gun safety different than teaching sex ed?

The sex ed class covers more than just masturbation.
07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
(07-01-2015 01:07 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 04:14 AM)Nurse Wrote:  ... How is teaching gun safety different than teaching sex ed?

The sex ed class covers more than just masturbation.

That and sex is natural, pretty much everyone grows up either wanting to have sex or curious about it. Gun ed is not something humans have evolved to love as some people don't like guns as some do, so it is not something biological and there for intrinsic.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-01-2015, 01:13 PM
(07-01-2015 04:14 AM)Nurse Wrote:  How is teaching gun safety different than teaching sex ed?

Sex ed can't accidentally kill you in the classroom. Gun nuts have blinders on.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-01-2015, 01:15 PM
(07-01-2015 01:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Sex ed can't accidentally kill you in the classroom.

Challenge accepted.
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post