teacher arressted for statutory rape

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 07:24 AM
RE: teacher arressted for statutory rape
(03-03-2016 07:04 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 02:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's law. Law requires some kind of defined point. Otherwise cases get complicated and expensive really quickly.

I know, I know. I'm just saying, what is it about 18 (or any other age limit) that the particular laws are so fond of.

If it was 10 you'd ask the same question. It's probably partly historical and partly that by that time pretty much everyone is through puberty. Once a law is made it takes a lot to change it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-03-2016, 07:51 AM
(02-03-2016 11:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 02:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Chas

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasm

Is this one better, unless you prefer this one

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fantasm

As for exemple of boys having poor experience with sexual experiences here are some links you might want to investigate

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/family/pts...scents.asp
http://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources...pdate.aspx

And what do those have to do with consensual sex?

Quote:About symptome of distress and their most common cause

http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/pdf/CV150.pdf

about concequences of love/sexual relationship with adult women (page 308 to get to the juicier part). It can get murky quickly as you will notice. On a personal note, I would not trust that sort of women with a teenager.

That link did not work.
Edit: It now works. Consider

Look at Section 3.3:
3.3. Adolescent male/adult female sexual relationships
Relationships between adolescent males and adult females are the statutory relationships most likely to be viewed
by youth and society as sexual initiation rather than sexual exploitation (Bolton, Morris, & MacEachron, 1989; Fritz,
Stoll, & Wagner, 1981; West & Woodhouse, 1990). According to the law, however, they are considered statutory
rape. Estimates for the incidence of these types of statutory relationships suggest that around 5% of men report that
they had a consensual sexual relationship as an adolescent with an adult woman (Condy, Templer, Brown, & Veaco,
1987; Fromuth & Burkhart, 1987; King, Nurcombe, Bickman, Hides, & Reid, 2003; Manlove et al., 2005). In
the majority of these relationships, multiple sexual encounters occur, and the encounters usually include oral or
vaginal sex.

I agree with that and it does show that your opinion on the subject is as much linked to our social norms about sex (reinforced by your personnal experience). Yet, those social norms hide someyhing that stinks in my opinion as demonstrated bellow.

How do adolescent males view their sexual relationships with adult females? Some studies show that if the
relationship was not forced and the female adult was not a relative, a majority of males viewed these relationships as
positive (Condy et al., 1987; Okami, 1991), about a third viewed them as neutral (Fromuth & Burkhart, 1987; Okami,
1991), and a minority (b5%) viewed them as negative (Fromuth & Burkhart, 1987). Nonetheless, they had slightly
elevated levels of psychological distress: they had slightly more psychological, alcohol, and deliberate self-harming
behavior problems than men without such experiences, but they were not as distressed as those who experienced forced
sexual encounters (King et al., 2003).
A point to consider is that societal standards have in the past given a certain legitimacy to sexual contacts between
adult women and teenage boys, in contrast to the perceptions of adult men having sexual relationships with teenage
girls. Because society tends to condemn this latter type of relationship, teenage girls may more readily describe harms
done; however, because society tends to view adolescent male/adult female sexual relationships as nonabusive and
perhaps as “sexual initiation”, teenage boys and adult males who had these types of experiences may be unable to admit
to any negative repercussions or recognize the relationship as abusive, and adult women who become involved with
teenage boys may also not view their behaviors as abusive (Mathews et al., 1990). Although some boys may
legitimately view these relationships as positive (as do some girls involved with adult men), case examples and some
empirical studies give indications that not all boys are positively affected by these experiences.

This is very reminding of other studies on self estime that shows that boys score higher and better, yet suffer from a similar amount of mental disease like depression and even higher level of suicide since they don't tend to seek help. The important thing to remember is that this study was made in the USA. Thus male teen/female adult relationship do include things like a 20 years old with a 16 years old which is much less risky than a 16 years old with a 34 years old and legal in many places of the world. All in all, there should be a certain form of laxism between relationship between adults and teens if they are of similar age and there is no pre-established hierarchical relationship between the two(teacher, boss, priest, doctor, parents, etc.). I clearly don't see why there should be a double standard on this question since both group show the same signs and very similar level of distress even if they perceive their relationship differently. In resume yes there is arbitrary stuff that we could and probably should let go in the current american laws on consent, but one should not throw away the baby with the bath water neither should it become more open for one gender over the other.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
03-03-2016, 07:51 AM
(03-03-2016 07:08 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Whose morality?

Why, the morality of those in charge. In the USA it is illegal to have sex with someone under 18 if you are over 18. In certain muslim countries, it is legal and expected that you marry a girl under 18 if you are a 50 year old man. It is becoming more rare because of pressure from the USA, but it still exists and is considered moral in those countries. Why is that? It is because those in control, see it as moral. Who is correct? In my view, everyone sees themselves as correct and in a way everyone is. I hope I am explaining myself correctly. Imagine we have a massive die off, due to a plague or we are attacked by something from deep space. We would have to adjust the legal or (moral) age for sex, because we would want to continue our species. So, it might be that if you pass the age of say 13 or 14 and you have not had at least one baby yet, you might be looked down on. If this were the case, does that mean the people having kids with those 13 or 14 year olds are sick? NO. We just make up the rules based on the living conditions. We are over populated right now. Eventually we might see further restrictions on age and even a set number of kids (1 or 2) and no more.

It's not just morality, it's also health and welfare. One of the reasons for raising the age of consent was for the health of teen females during pregnancy. Young teen women having children were more likely to die in childbirth and less likely to live a long and healthy life than say older teen females.

Also the age of adulthood (18-21) where one is considered them minimum age to make reasoned and adult choices that they would be responsible for like drinking, marrying, child rearing, mortgages, driving, going to war. These numbers of consent and adulthood are not arbitrary nor simply based on when teens start enjoying sex.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
(01-03-2016 08:17 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 08:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I agree. But it's not statutory rape.

Depending on the writting or your interpretation of this, yes it can be statutory rape (obviously it's the case in this situation).

Nope. It doesn't meet the legal standard for statutory rape. Dude wasn't charged with statutory rape.

#sigh
03-03-2016, 08:58 PM
(03-03-2016 06:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 08:17 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Depending on the writting or your interpretation of this, yes it can be statutory rape (obviously it's the case in this situation).

Nope. It doesn't meet the legal standard for statutory rape. Dude wasn't charged with statutory rape.

Your right, I didn't read carefully enough. Thanks for the heads up.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.