Argue Bechased Chase Girl_nails

You're talking about the poutine right?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
08-02-2016, 05:21 PM
RE: teachers carring guns
I've been a part-time elementary school teacher and have a lot of friends who are teachers. It's enough work to concentrate on teaching; I would never want the extra responsibility of a gun, especially in a situation that can get as chaotic as a school full of kids. The skills of teacher and shootout artist/crisis expert do not necessarily overlap.

Teachers with guns would make me feel less safe, personally, given the teachers that I have met and myself.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
08-02-2016, 05:25 PM
(08-02-2016 05:21 PM)julep Wrote:  I've been a part-time elementary school teacher and have a lot of friends who are teachers. It's enough work to concentrate on teaching; I would never want the extra responsibility of a gun, especially in a situation that can get as chaotic as a school full of kids. The skills of teacher and shootout artist/crisis expert do not necessarily overlap.

Teachers with guns would make me feel less safe, personally, given the teachers that I have met and myself.

It's an extremely stressful job. The dropout rate among new teachers is 50%. People just don't realize how hard it is.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-02-2016, 11:23 PM
(08-02-2016 11:11 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 10:27 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Well, if that can help you, I am a high school and college teacher in history and I agree with you assessment.

Thank you. I should have my husband make a guest appearance here. He's been teaching 22 years and he might have few nuggets of wisdom concerning this matter. Cell phones and electronic gadgets are a nightmare for teachers. Kids use them to cheat on tests so teachers spend an inordinate amount of time using computer programs to track down possible cheating. Teachers having a gun in the class room? Holy shit. This is a nightmare quadrupled. With 30 plus kids in a classroom it would have to be locked up and secured like it's the fucking Hope Diamond to keep kids out of the god damned thing. And sure enough there would be some kid that could override the locking system so that would mean teachers would have to check it several times a day......INSTEAD OF TEACH!

Do people think teachers have nothing else to do but stand around with a gun and watch for killers with guns? Jesus fucking christ.

Facepalm

Yes this!!! That us what I was thinking . there WILL be one that will get to that gun no matter what u do. So why have it up and close to kids and tempt them like that. Or even a kid that wouldn't have really done it if he hasn't had access to a gun in the classroom. Too much to handle for these teachers.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
09-02-2016, 12:30 AM
(08-02-2016 02:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 01:53 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Bullshit. They read some junk, they maybe show they know which end to point at the other person. That's not training, that's eyewash. Nothing in there about deciding that the person in front of you has to die so other people can live.

Since you don't actually know what training they are talking about, your comment lacks much substance.

The requirements for carrying a firearm are online for each state. Which ones are you familiar with?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2016, 03:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 03:32 AM by Vosur.)
(08-02-2016 02:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 02:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  No, but only in America could someone propose that armed guards should be stationed on school premises in response to the shootings without being laughed out of the room.

Except they already have them in other countries, so there's that.

Israel, Iraq, Somalia, and Afghanistan have armed protection for schools in response to murderous attacks. Even Canada has embedded armed security in some schools.

[Image: Israel-school-teacher.jpg]
I was using hyperbole to make a point, but fair enough. When I say something along the lines of "Only in America could a presidential candidate publicly deny the theory of evolution without being laughed out of the room," I'm contrasting it with the way things are in Europe. Yes, there are many backward places in Africa and the Middle East (e.g. Israel, Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan) where creationism is a commonly held belief and where people share American views on firearms. Point taken.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-02-2016, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 07:15 AM by ClydeLee.)
(08-02-2016 02:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 07:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you think school shootings only happen in the U.S.? Consider
No, but only in America could someone propose that armed guards should be stationed on school premises in response to the shootings without being laughed out of the room.
Somehow some people act like that isn't commonplace... many schools do have a armed police officer or guard at the school. That's a different case than having concealed arms for willing teachers. Not just cities like mentioned before, because this happens and has for decades in suburban areas. Those officers generally do more than only guard in the area though. Like run DARE programs.

Political candidates in Turkey can deny evolution and be taken seriously

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-02-2016, 07:35 AM
(09-02-2016 12:30 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 02:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  Since you don't actually know what training they are talking about, your comment lacks much substance.

The requirements for carrying a firearm are online for each state. Which ones are you familiar with?

Why do you keep ignoring what the article actually said?
From the article:
"Teachers with concealed carry licenses can carry concealed guns in these 40 districts, after they undergo extended training."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2016, 07:55 AM
(07-02-2016 09:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  There should be at least one armed person at a school, but it shouldn't be the teacher in the classroom - that seems risky.

it should be a security guard who is being paid to protect the class NOT the teacher who is payed to teach students stuff they don't really care about