tell me how to support atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2011, 08:59 PM

tell me how to support atheism
Hi, Im Mohammad, From iran. Dont worry, my name is Mohammad cause I born in a muslim family : ) its about two years that Im not muslim anymore, now Im atheist. and about iran... here is an Islamic country, if government find out that Im atheist they will kill me! so much people call theirselves muslim here. like me before I become an atheist. but I bilive Islam has so many bugs, there are so many stupid things in quran, the book of Islam that they say its from allah, the god of islam. Im looking for informing the people who are looking for the true, but I dont know what is the best way to doing it. I writed a short book (PDF) about islam and quran, but I didnt get any feedbacks. idk how can I support atheism and tell people in here about it. I just know the only place that I can be active on it is the internet, other places are not safe for me! please think, and help me to help people around me. tell me what you think that should I do? a weblog just about atheism? talking in my own weblog about atheism, writing pdfs, or... ? I need some ideas about it. thank you : )
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like atralheaven's post
23-07-2011, 10:53 PM
RE: tell me how to support atheism
It's really hard to for us to say, I don't think any of us are in a situation similar to your own as most of us are from North America. I'm not sure how dangerous it really is for you to speak out about what you believe or why you believe those things but the internet would certainly be the best place for you to do so. Continue posting on forums like this one, continue exploring the information available to you, try and share bits and pieces you find especially interesting with those around you in a non-provocative way. Don't go around telling your friends or family that they worship a non existent fairy tale, it comes across provokingly and they will always take it as a direct insult to their personal beliefs. Try asking people you know interesting questions. Ask them what they think of things like evolution and rather than directly arguing with them or telling them they're wrong simply try and provide some bits of info that might get them wondering about it. Stick around, I'm sure you'll enjoy a lot of the conversations that go around here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mindprowler's post
23-07-2011, 11:33 PM

thank you for answering : ) I think a secret blog that focused on lagical posts, more than anti-religion posts, is good. iran really needs informations about the truth behind religions and god. there is not so much informations about atheism in persian language. I hope I can help it.
[+] 1 user Likes atralheaven's post
24-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Its not an easy task. The one thing you should not risk doing is putting your views to radicals of any religion. Discretion is the better part of valour and there is nothing more dangerous than a salivating religious lunatic of any persuasion.
Before saving religion from itself I suggest you carefullylook at atheism/agnosticism .
In doing this you will see the great difficulties involved.
Unlike relgion most atheists dont claim to know the lot.
Oh well maybe some do, but they usually don't salivate.
~~~~~~~~~MurchovskiRolleyes
24-07-2011, 02:43 AM

I belive I shouldnt be anti-religion or hating religion, its better we have attraction for other people who belives in gods. they should doubt about their beliefs, like I did. I said I was muslim, I thought there is nothing right but islam! "someone" told me what if I wasnt born in a muslim family? would I be muslim like I am now? that was the doubt for me. it made me search with my mind for the true belief. if that person didnt talk like this, if he shows his hate of religion to me, maybe I wasnt atheist now.
btw, Im so sorry about my bad English, Im working on it! and one more thing... this forum looks good!
24-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Your English is fine. I wonder how many of us are as good at a second language?

Anyway, most important: Do NOT put yourself in danger. Atheism doesn't need martyrs. And people in jail are no use to anybody else. Remember, you're not safe or anonymous on the internet; everything you put on there stays there forever, and somebody can find it.

Second, as others have said, it's better to inform than to argue. You probably don't have all the answers, but they're out there! Maybe in your blog, you could link to sources of information - scientific books and articles, news reports, debates, lectures. I don't know how good the Google translation feature is, but almost everything is available in English and lots of people speak it.
I find one of the best ways to distance myself from the religion in which i was raised is to read about other religions and compare. Why this and not that? How come all those other people believe that one just as strongly as my people believe this one? Why did so many religions flourish and then fade away? Why are the religions of defunct civilizations called mythology and superstition and despised, while the religions of current civilizations are held in great esteem?
There are plenty of questions to encourage others to think about, without supplying your own answers.

Third, a wonderful service is a forum or wall where people can express their doubts and reservations, and talk to one another, so they don't feel isolated.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
24-07-2011, 08:43 AM
You may want to look into cloaking your identity online:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2011, 12:07 PM

I know how to be safe on the internet, im profesional in it! so dont need to be worry about this part : )

update: thank you all for answers, here after I will be there with a diffrent username.
24-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I imagine it would be difficult, but I've heard of small underground groups of non-believers in muslim countries. There is an inherent risk in looking for and joining these groups.
Just something a bit funny I've always thought about, I've had this idea for a while of a "New Persian Republic" formed by a free thinkers movement in Afghanistan that spreads through Iran. Quite far from reality, but its interesting to think about.

And don't worry about your english, its a difficult language even for people who grew up with it.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
24-07-2011, 01:28 PM
To put it simply you're fucked.
But feel good in the knowledge that your bravery and ideology may lead the path for a more free place to live. I don't know how someone in your position can make atheism more widely known in your part of the world. I have a hard time here and the worst that would happen to me is maybe a fist fight or a day in prison for handing out pamphlets. You could die. No shit, that's crazy, and scary. Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user