thank u god for giving me a family that's worse than honey boo boo's fam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 06:48 PM
RE: thank u god for giving me a family that's worse than honey boo boo's fam
I don't know enough specifics to comment. I do know you don't have to be the biological parent to claim a dependant. For example, a step parent can claim his or her spouse's kid as a dependant if they provide a home and and kid mostly lives with them. I've never heard of a boy friend claiming a kid as a dependant, but I suspect there are conditions where it's legit.

I wouldn't bother with the Social Security office. What I would do is get emancipated. But, for 2014 her mother can likely claim her. Sure, she can fight that and file her own return (which is better for getting money to help pay for school) but that is a fight that can get ugly.

Ferdi - is there legal aid where you live? Go online and find out. They can give you options that a guy following bits and pieces of this on an internet forum can't. Talk to a lawyer and let him or her help you map out your options. You need an advocate who has no loyalty to anyone in this situation but you.

That's my 2 cent opinion. Feel free to PM me. I'm happy to talk to you and help as I can.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
09-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Love you, Anj! And thank you, BnW. I haven't had contact with my mother for several weeks now (However, my little sister did start sneaking messages to me via email and Vine telling me she misses, which makes me happy.) I'm well aware it's fair and legal for her to claim me for 2014, but she made it seem like she needed the physical card. Even if she didn't need it, I don't think she has any paperwork of mine that would have my social security number on it. She went up to the SS office and tried to request my card but they told me that since I'm 18, only I can request my card. I think that was sort of a red flag for the SS office too, especially when my mom left the place extra angry. I have a job now, so when I'm able to file taxes next year I'll say I don't want to be claimed by anyone else, so if my mom does try to claim me next year, a red flag's gonna pop up somewhere.

I haven't had any issues with my mother for a few weeks. All has been quiet... but I'm still not willing to take any chances as far as contact with her goes. I'm hesitant to even accept my sister's friend request on Facebook because my mom is savage and controlling.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
09-02-2015, 08:08 AM
(09-02-2015 07:53 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Love you, Anj! And thank you, BnW. I haven't had contact with my mother for several weeks now (However, my little sister did start sneaking messages to me via email and Vine telling me she misses, which makes me happy.) I'm well aware it's fair and legal for her to claim me for 2014, but she made it seem like she needed the physical card. Even if she didn't need it, I don't think she has any paperwork of mine that would have my social security number on it. She went up to the SS office and tried to request my card but they told me that since I'm 18, only I can request my card. I think that was sort of a red flag for the SS office too, especially when my mom left the place extra angry. I have a job now, so when I'm able to file taxes next year I'll say I don't want to be claimed by anyone else, so if my mom does try to claim me next year, a red flag's gonna pop up somewhere.

I haven't had any issues with my mother for a few weeks. All has been quiet... but I'm still not willing to take any chances as far as contact with her goes. I'm hesitant to even accept my sister's friend request on Facebook because my mom is savage and controlling.

i would friend your sister on facebook, but put it on very restricted settings. Explain to her that you want to be in contact with her but you know what your mom is capable of, so for protection of both of you, it has to be restricted. once mom realizes that you have restricted your sister then your sister cant be coerced into giving information, but if needed your sister can still reach out to you. I am thrilled you have escaped your mom, I still worry about your sister who is still stuck there.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
09-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Ferdinand

If you file your own taxes and your mom claims you, it's not Social Security who gets flagged, its the IRS. Your parents can claim you for a few more years, I think until you're 25.

If you really want to have control over this, you need to get emancipated. That means you are on your own from a tax, income and liability perspective.

I still think you need to talk to a local lawyer.

[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
09-02-2015, 10:57 AM
I guess on the bright side, you're nothing like your mom and you have your dad, who apparently bought you a car. That's pretty sweet.

Atir aissom atir imon
09-02-2015, 11:12 AM
(09-02-2015 10:45 AM)BnW Wrote:  Ferdinand

If you file your own taxes and your mom claims you, it's not Social Security who gets flagged, its the IRS. Your parents can claim you for a few more years, I think until you're 25.

If you really want to have control over this, you need to get emancipated. That means you are on your own from a tax, income and liability perspective.

I think it's 23.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-02-2015, 11:13 AM
(09-02-2015 10:45 AM)BnW Wrote:  Ferdinand

Also, you cannot be claimed as a dependent by anyone if you provided more than 50% of your own support.
That includes housing, transportation, food, clothing, school, pretty much everything.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Mom - I thought that age got raised, but that may be just the age you can carry your kids on your insurance. I thought the dependant age changed too, but I could be mistaken.

Chas - that's true, but legal emancipation takes out the guess work and eliminates any potential fight.

09-02-2015, 02:53 PM
(09-02-2015 12:01 PM)BnW Wrote:  Mom - I thought that age got raised, but that may be just the age you can carry your kids on your insurance. I thought the dependant age changed too, but I could be mistaken.

Chas - that's true, but legal emancipation takes out the guess work and eliminates any potential fight.

You can carry kids on insurance until 26, regardless of where they live -- unless they have their own -- which I'm told is a hassle.

Unless something has changed since 2013, you can only claim your kids as a dependent until 23.

I think that age aligns with when parents don't have to be party to student loans.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-02-2015, 06:10 PM
(09-02-2015 02:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 12:01 PM)BnW Wrote:  Mom - I thought that age got raised, but that may be just the age you can carry your kids on your insurance. I thought the dependant age changed too, but I could be mistaken.

You can carry kids on insurance until 26, regardless of where they live -- unless they have their own -- which I'm told is a hassle.

Unless something has changed since 2013, you can only claim your kids as a dependent until 23.

I think that age aligns with when parents don't have to be party to student loans.

Doesn't matter how old a child is....if you provide more than half their support, generally you can claim them as a dependent for Federal income tax purposes. If in doubt go to http://www.irs.gov/uac/Who-Can-I-Claim-a...pendent%3F
start answering the questions and the program will let you know if that person(s) qualify as your dependent.

I do this stuff for a living so ask any other questions on this issue you may have and I'll try to help.