the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 10:13 AM
the God term
As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 10:18 AM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?

All religious definitions of gods describe a supernatural being.

I believe in nothing supernatural.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-04-2013, 10:24 AM
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?

Atheists don't define god. Theists define their god (or at least try, in a very abstract way, to define it) and atheists decide whether the evidence supports the claims of the theist.

For example, you're a Christian. You probably have some basic ideas about your god and those ideas probably came from a version of the Bible:

1. Created the universe;
2. Loves you;
3. Rewards/punishes you for your actions in this life;
4. Sent his only son to die for you;

If you spoke to me about your god, I'd expect you to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the bible is indeed the inspired word of your god and is correct. I'd also need you to define your god. Finally, I'd need you to explain why the proof and evidence of other religions is not acceptable, but yours is.

Keep in mind that some atheists don't claim there is absolutely, 100%, no god. The door is always open if the evidence becomes available.

Ask yourself why you don't believe in Islam, Buddhism, Zeus, Scientology, Mormonism, etc. What evidence do they lack to convince you that theirs is the true way? That will get you closer to understanding the mind of an atheist.

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
[+] 11 users Like guitar_nut's post
15-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I am not aware any scriptural referance in Christianity to a supernatural being.
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
15-04-2013, 10:32 AM
(15-04-2013 10:26 AM)childeye Wrote:  I am not aware any scriptural referance in Christianity to a supernatural being.

Well that just shows you have not read your own holy book.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-04-2013, 10:34 AM
(15-04-2013 10:24 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  

Atheists don't define god. Theists define their god (or at least try, in a very abstract way, to define it) and atheists decide whether the evidence supports the claims of the theist.

For example, you're a Christian. You probably have some basic ideas about your god and those ideas probably came from a version of the Bible:

1. Created the universe;
2. Loves you;
3. Rewards/punishes you for your actions in this life;
4. Sent his only son to die for you;

If you spoke to me about your god, I'd expect you to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the bible is indeed the inspired word of your god and is correct. I'd also need you to define your god. Finally, I'd need you to explain why the proof and evidence of other religions is not acceptable, but yours is.

Keep in mind that some atheists don't claim there is absolutely, 100%, no god. The door is always open if the evidence becomes available.

Ask yourself why you don't believe in Islam, Buddhism, Zeus, Scientology, Mormonism, etc. What evidence do they lack to convince you that theirs is the true way? That will get you closer to understanding the mind of an atheist.
I consider the term God as a moral absolute. For example it would be synonymous to a moral Truth founded on the spiritual existence of Love or empathy. My reasons for not believing in religion are because I view religion as mankinds varying images of god but not necessarily thee God. But as a moral absolute, I therefore must believe everyone has some image of god.
15-04-2013, 10:40 AM
(15-04-2013 10:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:26 AM)childeye Wrote:  I am not aware any scriptural referance in Christianity to a supernatural being.

Well that just shows you have not read your own holy book.
I don't consider the bible as a Holy thing, nor does scripture testify to it being so. The scripture you quote does not use the term "supernatural". I view the term God as a moral absolute. Consequently the fact there exists a universe points to the fact that somehow it got here.
15-04-2013, 10:43 AM
(15-04-2013 10:40 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well that just shows you have not read your own holy book.
I don't consider the bible as a Holy thing, nor does scripture testify to it being so. The scripture you quote does not use the term "supernatural". I view the term God as a moral absolute. Consequently the fact there exists a universe points to the fact that somehow it got here.

Since morality is relative, not absolute, then there is no god.

I am an atheist and I have no concept of god.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
15-04-2013, 10:44 AM
*rolls eyes*

The old, "I'm going to twist words (or lack of words) to try and say something fancy so I come across as smarter then all the wrong atheists and they'll see the light and change their devilish ways" argument.

Been there, done that, brought the t-shirt.
Next.

ps: But please, feel free to tell me how I do actually believe in God, I just don't know it.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
15-04-2013, 10:47 AM
(15-04-2013 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:40 AM)childeye Wrote:  I don't consider the bible as a Holy thing, nor does scripture testify to it being so. The scripture you quote does not use the term "supernatural". I view the term God as a moral absolute. Consequently the fact there exists a universe points to the fact that somehow it got here.

Since morality is relative, not absolute, then there is no god.

I am an atheist and I have no concept of god.

Always fun when a christian shows up that has no idea what that term means.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense