the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 02:22 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 02:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Altruism negates your assertion that empathy is connected to any type of human-centered god.
That depends on what you mean by human centered.

Takes a special interest in humans that involves giving them a book and immortality.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2013, 02:22 PM
(15-04-2013 02:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Primates
Rats
Birds
Dogs
Whales
Dolphins

And many, many more.

But you get my point.

Back to what I said... by what you said, animals are theistic.
I'm sorry, but I don't think I get your point. Are animals theistic? Well I suppose some are. I know my dog is. She seems to know when I'm hurting.

Are you serious?

Wow.

You're a Poe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 02:23 PM
(15-04-2013 11:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:14 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
For the record
shoo fly

For the record, every time I see Mom' write "shoo fly" I think of ...

[Image: SeanConnery.jpg]

saying ...

[Image: souffle1.jpg]

You cursed me, DLJ... Weeping Damn you, damn you to hell. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
15-04-2013, 02:29 PM
(15-04-2013 01:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  Thanks Phaedrus for this excellent response. The type of Love I am talking about is empathy. It is hard to avoid semantics here. Empathy of course can be in a marriage apart from the hormonal drives or physical attraction. I see a True Love as having an altruistic purpose. Hence a Mothers Love is in it's truest sense, is very much the Love I am talking about. Basically, the willingness to lay down one's life so others may have life.

I liken Spiritual Truth to that actual reality that recognizes Love as the goodness in mankind and consequently that this Love is bigger than just one person. To cherish love would be the consequence of such knowledge. Conversely ignorance of this reality would produce a spirit in a person that is contrary to Love and therefore immoral to some degree as per one's ignorance.

Spirit is the feelings or emotions that constitute our character and countenance. This would be distinct from that which is physical or biological. Not that biological impulses do not affect emotions, as they most certainly do. But as per the topic of this thread, that morally speaking, when we consider how it is for others, so as to put ourselves in their shoes, we experience empathy. And this empathy causes us to feel the pain and joy of others. This empathy does not come upon our mental deliberation, nor can we turn it off even though we might run from it.

Your last question forces me to speak in terms that are more speculative regarding a sociopath. But first I would make a point. I do not claim that Love is in all men as a Spiritual Truth. I am claiming that empathy is a Spiritual prerequisite for the moral impetus to occur in any man\woman.

Having said that, I don't know how someone can feel no love. It seems to me they would only understand the hardwired impetus of the flesh which regards comfort as good and pain as bad. There emotions would probably be more akin to indifference ar amoral.

Where did love reside before there were any people to experience it?
Great question. What purpose is love without someone else? Did God ever experience lonliness? Perhaps, perhaps not. That is a very deep question which would call for much speculation. I respectively would rather spend time addressing the topic of the thread or at least address matters that can be established with some factual value.
15-04-2013, 02:32 PM
(15-04-2013 02:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm sorry, but I don't think I get your point. Are animals theistic? Well I suppose some are. I know my dog is. She seems to know when I'm hurting.

Are you serious?

Wow.

You're a Poe.
Yes I'm serious, my dog knows when I'm hurting. What's so surprising about that. You know what else? She gets her feelings hurt if I yell at her. What's a Poe?
15-04-2013, 02:32 PM
(15-04-2013 02:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are you serious?

Wow.

You're a Poe.
Yes I'm serious, my dog knows when I'm hurting. What's so surprising about that. You know what else? She gets her feelings hurt if I yell at her. What's a Poe?

Expressing emotion does not make one theistic.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
15-04-2013, 02:34 PM
(15-04-2013 02:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes I'm serious, my dog knows when I'm hurting. What's so surprising about that. You know what else? She gets her feelings hurt if I yell at her. What's a Poe?

Expressing emotion does not make one theistic.

According to him it does.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-04-2013, 02:35 PM
(15-04-2013 02:23 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For the record, every time I see Mom' write "shoo fly" I think of ...

[Image: SeanConnery.jpg]

saying ...

[Image: souffle1.jpg]

You cursed me, DLJ... Weeping Damn you, damn you to hell. Tongue

I do smirk a little now every time I write it....

Souffle! Lmao

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2013, 02:36 PM
(15-04-2013 02:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  That depends on what you mean by human centered.

Takes a special interest in humans that involves giving them a book and immortality.
That doesn't make sense. How does an altruistic Love make sure no one writes about Him or makes sure humans don't live forever? How do these qualities define an altruistic Love?
15-04-2013, 02:37 PM
(15-04-2013 02:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Takes a special interest in humans that involves giving them a book and immortality.
That doesn't make sense. How does an altruistic Love make sure no one writes about Him or makes sure humans don't live forever? How do these qualities define an altruistic Love?

I didn't say altruism was love. The rest of your comment makes no sense. Try that again.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post