the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2013, 11:12 PM
RE: the God term
(22-04-2013 10:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hey mom! You off probation? Smile

She was never actually IN the naughty chair.
She went undercover, to do some "government work".
Fooled you all, didn't she.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2013, 11:12 PM
(22-04-2013 10:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 10:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Personally I believe it is allegorical in much of it's context. The serpent is an allegorical figure as is the tree of knowledge and life. Certainly we do not see two flaming swords preventing us access to the tree of life. But the lineage from Adam that appears in scripture can also be perceived as allegorical in the names presented.
Adam..........=............Man
Seth...........=............Appointed
Enosh.........=.............Mortal
Cainan........=.............Sorrow
Mahalalel.....=.............The Blessed God
Jared..........=.............Shall come down
Enoch.........=.............Teaching
Methuselah..=.............His Death Shall Bring
Lamech.......=.............The Despairing
Noah..........=.............Comfort

How do you decide what is allegorical in the bible and what is literal? I happen to believe the whole thing is nothing but mythology....which also falls in line with thought. .
There are certain clues usually. The Old Testament is full of types of what the church would go through. For instance, every description of what happens to the Israelites usually represents a stage the church will go through. Moses was a type for the Christ. When he went up to the Mountain he was gone a long time. I believe we are currently waiting for the return of the Christ in the same way. The golden calf was constructed during this period of time and currently the world worships and serves money. Those are some of my thoughts on the matter.
22-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Going to bed, goodnight all you wonderful beautiful people.
22-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Quote:I do not know.

At least this statement makes sense.

I know and get all of the theological hoopla you keep throwing here (I grew up in the church), but at some point you have to start wondering about the logistics of everything. Well, I realize that you don't have to, you are content to just believe it cus it says so.

But I wonder about the logistics, because if there's a god, and I have a soul, and there's potential for me to be thrown in a fucking lake of fire and burn alive for all of eternity then I'd like to work out the details so that I could be absolutely sure of my fate.

Pascal can eat a dick, I want to have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, and I want some of the details to make a little sense.

If god inspired men to write this book, he picked the ones who were sure to bumble around and speak in riddles and contradict each other. And again, I think this is a shitty way to go about doing things. The bible's version of everything contradicts every shred of evidence known in the natural world.

If he created man in his image, he created man with a passion for knowledge, and then essentially tells man to stuff it, because he just wasn't in the mood to be understood.

I guess Love is a mystery.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-04-2013, 11:26 PM
(22-04-2013 11:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 10:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How do you decide what is allegorical in the bible and what is literal? I happen to believe the whole thing is nothing but mythology....which also falls in line with thought. .
There are certain clues usually. The Old Testament is full of types of what the church would go through. For instance, every description of what happens to the Israelites usually represents a stage the church will go through. Moses was a type for the Christ. When he went up to the Mountain he was gone a long time. I believe we are currently waiting for the return of the Christ in the same way. The golden calf was constructed during this period of time and currently the world worships and serves money. Those are some of my thoughts on the matter.

There's a mixing of metaphors going on. Do you believe the story of the "golden calf" was literal or a metaphor for the time -- something not to be taken literal, but to serve as a warning for future people reading it? Where do you draw the line? Couldn't the jesus story be just a story?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-04-2013, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 11:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-04-2013 11:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 10:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How do you decide what is allegorical in the bible and what is literal? I happen to believe the whole thing is nothing but mythology....which also falls in line with thought. .

No. The golden calf was set up as a symbol of Yahweh's presence in the Northern Kingdom, like the two cherubim on top of the arc in the South. It was not "constructed" at the time of Moses. Moses was a myth. So was the Exodus. The reason the incident about the golden calf was written into Exodus the way it was, was because the Yahwists, (Southern Kingdom priests) hated the Northern Kingdom priests.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
Maybe you wouldn't cook up such nonsense if you actually knew something about the origins of your cult.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2013, 11:28 PM
(22-04-2013 11:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 10:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hey mom! You off probation? Smile

She was never actually IN the naughty chair.

Actually, I was captured, tied to a chair and ruthlessly spanked. Those blasted Canadian spies! Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-04-2013, 11:33 PM
(22-04-2013 11:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  She was never actually IN the naughty chair.

Actually, I was captured, tied to a chair and ruthlessly spanked. Those blasted Canadian spies! Wink

Well I'm glad you had fun! Yes I'm off to bed too. Fucking job and shit in the morning....Censored

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-04-2013, 11:34 PM
(22-04-2013 11:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually, I was captured, tied to a chair and ruthlessly spanked. Those blasted Canadian spies! Wink

Well I'm glad you had fun! Yes I'm off to bed too. Fucking job and shit in the morning....Censored

Good night. Hug

23-04-2013, 04:33 AM
Hoy Child

Come now and answer my question... or rather don't come now. But your God is love right ? That means he definitely approves of wanking right ?