the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2013, 07:54 AM
RE: the God term
(23-04-2013 04:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hoy Child

Come now and answer my question... or rather don't come now. But your God is love right ? That means he definitely approves of wanking right ?

Must you always be a moron? Tongue

Here you go, eye. An untapped market for your ministry... http://news.discovery.com/animals/whales...120502.htm

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2013, 08:31 AM
(22-04-2013 11:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote:I do not know.

At least this statement makes sense.

I know and get all of the theological hoopla you keep throwing here (I grew up in the church), but at some point you have to start wondering about the logistics of everything. Well, I realize that you don't have to, you are content to just believe it cus it says so.

But I wonder about the logistics, because if there's a god, and I have a soul, and there's potential for me to be thrown in a fucking lake of fire and burn alive for all of eternity then I'd like to work out the details so that I could be absolutely sure of my fate.

Pascal can eat a dick, I want to have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, and I want some of the details to make a little sense.

If god inspired men to write this book, he picked the ones who were sure to bumble around and speak in riddles and contradict each other. And again, I think this is a shitty way to go about doing things. The bible's version of everything contradicts every shred of evidence known in the natural world.

If he created man in his image, he created man with a passion for knowledge, and then essentially tells man to stuff it, because he just wasn't in the mood to be understood.

I guess Love is a mystery.
The true knowledge is that all things are built on faith. Those looking for logistics will miss the boat since their search for proof are contrary to that which upon everything is built. The simple trust that God is good is all there is. To question it is the mind of Satan. For It should be perfectly logical even to the one seeking logistics that it is pointless to ask God for anofficial and certfiable I.D.

Moreover, Love is not really a mystery. But just as shining a flashlight at the sun to see better is pointless, so also God cannot be seen this way. Therfore we are born out of darkness where the Light of Love can be seen for what it is.
Find all posts by this user
23-04-2013, 08:59 AM
(22-04-2013 11:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  There are certain clues usually. The Old Testament is full of types of what the church would go through. For instance, every description of what happens to the Israelites usually represents a stage the church will go through. Moses was a type for the Christ. When he went up to the Mountain he was gone a long time. I believe we are currently waiting for the return of the Christ in the same way. The golden calf was constructed during this period of time and currently the world worships and serves money. Those are some of my thoughts on the matter.

There's a mixing of metaphors going on. Do you believe the story of the "golden calf" was literal or a metaphor for the time -- something not to be taken literal, but to serve as a warning for future people reading it? Where do you draw the line? Couldn't the jesus story be just a story?
Okay I see more clearly what you are trying to convey. You wonder if I believe the bible is sort of like Aesops fables with a moral lesson to be taught. I am no expert on scripture and most likely a very poor student. But even in my extremely limited knowledge, I can tell you it is an incredible collection of writings with secrets so unbelievably mind blowing that it could only have been inspired by the Almighty. For the writings there sometimes appear conceived from a place outside of time. There is way more there than meets the eye. Therefore I draw no lines nor make any definitive assertions about the limits of scripture. Just the study of the meaning behind the two Cheribum upon the ark of the covenant is like viewing the depths of a galaxy. But then some people just see ornaments.
23-04-2013, 09:00 AM
(23-04-2013 08:31 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  At least this statement makes sense.

I know and get all of the theological hoopla you keep throwing here (I grew up in the church), but at some point you have to start wondering about the logistics of everything. Well, I realize that you don't have to, you are content to just believe it cus it says so.

But I wonder about the logistics, because if there's a god, and I have a soul, and there's potential for me to be thrown in a fucking lake of fire and burn alive for all of eternity then I'd like to work out the details so that I could be absolutely sure of my fate.

Pascal can eat a dick, I want to have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, and I want some of the details to make a little sense.

If god inspired men to write this book, he picked the ones who were sure to bumble around and speak in riddles and contradict each other. And again, I think this is a shitty way to go about doing things. The bible's version of everything contradicts every shred of evidence known in the natural world.

If he created man in his image, he created man with a passion for knowledge, and then essentially tells man to stuff it, because he just wasn't in the mood to be understood.

I guess Love is a mystery.
The true knowledge is that all things are built on faith. Those looking for logistics will miss the boat since their search for proof are contrary to that which upon everything is built. The simple trust that God is good is all there is. To question it is the mind of Satan. For It should be perfectly logical even to the one seeking logistics that it is pointless to ask God for anofficial and certfiable I.D.

Moreover, Love is not really a mystery. But just as shining a flashlight at the sun to see better is pointless, so also God cannot be seen this way. Therfore we are born out of darkness where the Light of Love can be seen for what it is.

Fine, you win. I'll clean up the chess board.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-04-2013, 09:45 AM
After 118 pages, I guess it's time for me to step in, kinda like an imaginary god watching mankind suffer and maim each other for 100,000 years.

And now I will slap my son's ass in a random act as my way of making you all see the light.
(My son is 24, so he'll probably just look at me strangely)

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
23-04-2013, 10:09 AM
(23-04-2013 09:45 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  After 118 pages, I guess it's time for me to step in, kinda like an imaginary god watching mankind suffer and maim each other for 100,000 years.

And now I will slap my son's ass in a random act as my way of making you all see the light.
(My son is 24, so he'll probably just look at me strangely)

Did his ass get slapped for our sins ? Does he love us ?
23-04-2013, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 10:14 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(23-04-2013 08:31 AM)childeye Wrote:  The true knowledge is that all things are built on faith. Those looking for logistics will miss the boat since their search for proof are contrary to that which upon everything is built. The simple trust that God is good is all there is. To question it is the mind of Satan. For It should be perfectly logical even to the one seeking logistics that it is pointless to ask God for anofficial and certfiable I.D.

This is why the whole thread is useless. While you believe that to question what the bible (except for where it's ok to bend it and call it an allegory) says is the work of the devil, we don't believe in his existence either.

This is why the middle east "used" to be a scientific leader in the world. Religion told them to close their eyes to the "devil". Some believe the scientific method was developed during Hellenistic period and many believe the most exciting discoveries were made between the years 600-300 BCE. Some technology advancements were forgotten -- only to be revived during the Renaissance period.

You want to believe in a designer and your told to close your eyes to anything that's contrary to that belief. Because you believe your very soul hangs in the balance.

This is why your argument is circular. We can go 150 pages and it would still be just as circular as when you started this thread. Your logic (if you want to call it that) is terribly flawed and skewed to see things a certain way. And if we bring up things that don't align with that skewed...you dismiss it as the devil.

Do I need to add...

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-04-2013, 10:59 AM
(23-04-2013 08:59 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  There's a mixing of metaphors going on. Do you believe the story of the "golden calf" was literal or a metaphor for the time -- something not to be taken literal, but to serve as a warning for future people reading it? Where do you draw the line? Couldn't the jesus story be just a story?
Okay I see more clearly what you are trying to convey. You wonder if I believe the bible is sort of like Aesops fables with a moral lesson to be taught. I am no expert on scripture and most likely a very poor student. But even in my extremely limited knowledge, I can tell you it is an incredible collection of writings with secrets so unbelievably mind blowing that it could only have been inspired by the Almighty. For the writings there sometimes appear conceived from a place outside of time. There is way more there than meets the eye. Therefore I draw no lines nor make any definitive assertions about the limits of scripture. Just the study of the meaning behind the two Cheribum upon the ark of the covenant is like viewing the depths of a galaxy. But then some people just see ornaments.

All those words...really say nothing. Because in the end all you're saying is that you don't know and you have "hope" that it is as you believe. It's not even about faith because the word faith is much stronger...

All you really have is dim hope that you're right.

Unfortunately you have to die to know any truth...but since you'll be dead it won't matter. You believe that you'll be in heaven and we believe there's not a shred of evidence to suggest that..There are thousands of years of myths that say the same thing. And they all believed their text were divinely inspired and that's also why many of those "beliefs" and stories found their way into the bible.

It doesn't mean its divine anything. Seriously the Cherubim? Wow...this is all mythology 101. You've just replaced Zeus, Jupiter, Mithras or whoever for god and jesus.

The cherubim mostly likely came from when the jewish nomads settled in Canaan. The Canaanites had a story about "angels" of their gods (messengers or whatever) and those stories were incorporated into Judaism. Everything was lifted from somewhere else and none was completely original.

Shoo fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-04-2013, 11:54 AM
(22-04-2013 11:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 11:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  There are certain clues usually. The Old Testament is full of types of what the church would go through. For instance, every description of what happens to the Israelites usually represents a stage the church will go through. Moses was a type for the Christ. When he went up to the Mountain he was gone a long time. I believe we are currently waiting for the return of the Christ in the same way. The golden calf was constructed during this period of time and currently the world worships and serves money. Those are some of my thoughts on the matter.

No. The golden calf was set up as a symbol of Yahweh's presence in the Northern Kingdom, like the two cherubim on top of the arc in the South. It was not "constructed" at the time of Moses. Moses was a myth. So was the Exodus. The reason the incident about the golden calf was written into Exodus the way it was, was because the Yahwists, (Southern Kingdom priests) hated the Northern Kingdom priests.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
Maybe you wouldn't cook up such nonsense if you actually knew something about the origins of your cult.
I would most humbly ask you to at least try to have an open mind and refrain from assuming I belong to a cult. I submit that the sentiments you express towards me are without any merit. But at least I now understand the cause of your frustration with me.
For I have read the post on the golden calves which you have lovingly provided. It was a fascinating read and I thank you. The compilation of information and how it is used to formulate a conclusion is quite sound for the most part. The writer is clear in making sure the reader is informed when he is speculating and where he is not. A trustworthy and fair analysis was my overall assessment. Also it does answer some questions I have often wondered about. But after all is said and done, it only confirms what I have said all along. That religion is the usurping of God and is vanity. As you know I have tried to tell you that from the beginning. That religion killed the Christ.

This study does not in any way displace God nor His Christ in any way.
23-04-2013, 11:59 AM
(23-04-2013 07:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 04:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hoy Child

Come now and answer my question... or rather don't come now. But your God is love right ? That means he definitely approves of wanking right ?

Must you always be a moron? Tongue

Here you go, eye. An untapped market for your ministry... http://news.discovery.com/animals/whales...120502.htm
Thank you, that was quite interesting.