the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: the God term
(26-04-2013 06:00 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes I would, thank you. Your analogy reminds me of a young neighborhood boy I once knew. One time he was over at my house and I was explaining to him that there was an absolute Truth. He said he believed every person had their own truth. I brought out a blue crayon and asked him if this was blue? He said, it may be red or green to someone else so he couldn't say. I said, but does that change the reality that it is blue? He answered, each person makes their own reality. I never could get him to say the crayon was blue. That boy ended up in a mental institute.
And this is a story you're proud of? One that deserves to be told?

Jesus Christ! And Xtians have the gall to claim they're compassionate and all about "love thy neighbour" (literally, in this case).

Disgusting. If I ever start to feel that my brain is starting to spoil again and religion is grasping with its gnarly, putrid fingers at me, I swear to your non-existent god, I'm gonna kill myself before I let this happen.

It's that smugness I mentioned to CE earlier. It's why I ignore what he says or rather writes. Everything he says either comes across as smug, or completely disingenuous like the little tale he wove about the kid not believing in blue...

And ending up in a mental institute. Why? Because he didn't believe the color blue? By his little tale, which must just tickle the jesus crowd to no end, are we supposed to infer this child was mentally ill at the time of the exchange? Are we supposed to infer that he went crazy because he didn't agree with the whole absolute truth idea?

This is like the kind of shit that gets passed around Facebook. I don't get it.

Thanks Vera for calling him on this crap!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-04-2013, 10:52 AM
(26-04-2013 04:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And!

You're wrong. Tongue

The energy of the reflected photon is resolved as "blue," making the crayon every color but blue. Theists.
Theists didn't invent blue as far as I know. It is true that it is only one variable of the spectrum. No matter what we call it, it remains what it is. The point is, that to have any cognizant communication we all must agree on a term.

Quote:So stuck on stuff like "what is real, true," that they model their absolute on what is most unreal and untrue. Irony.
As Mark Twain once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Quote:Here's one for ya: reality is merely the most reinforced pattern. Much more demonstrable. Thumbsup
This reminds me of the experiment where a group of people all sat in a room and witnessed a car accident on video. All of them were in on the experiment except for one who was the object of the experiment. They all were then questioned in a group one by one so as to describe what each of them saw. The group in on the experiment were told to recount a falsehood to see if the one person would stay with his convictions on what he saw or forego his convictions so as to agree with the crowd. They repeated this process with many different unaware people. 80% of the people who went through this experiment would go against what they knew they saw and agreed with the majority. Only twenty percent held to their convictions of what they know they saw.
27-04-2013, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 11:14 AM by childeye.)
27-04-2013, 11:10 AM
(26-04-2013 06:18 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes I would, thank you. Your analogy reminds me of a young neighborhood boy I once knew. One time he was over at my house and I was explaining to him that there was an absolute Truth. He said he believed every person had their own truth. I brought out a blue crayon and asked him if this was blue? He said, it may be red or green to someone else so he couldn't say. I said, but does that change the reality that it is blue? He answered, each person makes their own reality. I never could get him to say the crayon was blue. That boy ended up in a mental institute.

There is no spoon... I mean blue.
AAAAAh, from The Matrix, a classic Messianic themed story.
27-04-2013, 11:11 AM
(26-04-2013 07:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's that smugness I mentioned to CE earlier. It's why I ignore what he says or rather writes. Everything he says either comes across as smug, or completely disingenuous like the little tale he wove about the kid not believing in blue...

And ending up in a mental institute. Why? Because he didn't believe the color blue? By his little tale, which must just tickle the jesus crowd to no end, are we supposed to infer this child was mentally ill at the time of the exchange? Are we supposed to infer that he went crazy because he didn't agree with the whole absolute truth idea?

Oh, I rarely bother with the crap religionists hurl at us - have already wasted more than enough time of my life on their fucked-up fairty-tale. (And if I did bother, it would have to be someone way more intelligent than that joke of a poster.) Would have missed that particular pile of arrogant rubbish if HoC hadn't quoted him...

Apart from the inanity of the whole thing, I could never ever, even as a religionist myself, get over the mind-numbing unfairness and cruelty of people being condemned to eternal suffering, often for no other reason than the place (or time) they were born in. Couldn't accept it then, can't accept it now and how any even semi-decent human being can, is beyond me.

Like I said, for someone who is perfectly okay with the thought that most of the people who have ever lived and will ever live on this planet, will spend eternity being burned alive, to call themselves compassionate and full of love (or even being able to live with themselves and their vile god), is the most revolting hypocrisy and cruelty I can think of.

And child's(excusefora)brain - your "answer" is as pathetic as your little story and all your posts in this thread, actually.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-04-2013, 11:12 AM
(26-04-2013 04:33 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 09:50 AM)childeye Wrote:  I know the feeling. I'm just hoping Cardinal smurf responds to my post as he seems the only one left for me to discuss atheism with.

I feel unprepared to continue just now. Work has become stressful and when I got home last night I just crashed. Didn't have the energy to respond. Perhaps this weekend after some R&R.
It's cool cardinal smurf. Get some rest.
27-04-2013, 11:18 AM
(27-04-2013 11:11 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 07:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's that smugness I mentioned to CE earlier. It's why I ignore what he says or rather writes. Everything he says either comes across as smug, or completely disingenuous like the little tale he wove about the kid not believing in blue...

Oh, I rarely bother with the crap religionists hurl at us - have already wasted more than enough time of my life on their fucked-up fairty-tale. (And if I did bother, it would have to be someone way more intelligent than that joke of a poster.) Would have missed that particular pile of arrogant rubbish if HoC hadn't quoted him...

Apart from the inanity of the whole thing, I could never ever, even as a religionist myself, get over the mind-numbing unfairness and cruelty of people being condemned to eternal suffering, often for no other reason than the place (or time) they were born in. Couldn't accept it then, can't accept it now and how any even semi-decent human being can, is beyond me.

Like I said, for someone who is perfectly okay with the thought that most of the people who have ever lived and will ever live on this planet, will spend eternity being burned alive, to call themselves compassionate and full of love (or even being able to live with themselves and their vile god), is the most revolting hypocrisy and cruelty I can think of.

And child's(excusefora)brain - your "answer" is as pathetic as your little story and all your posts in this thread, actually.
Wow, where did you learn Christianity?
27-04-2013, 11:29 AM
(26-04-2013 06:26 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 06:21 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  So is this correct?

God is love, the first cause of the universe, exists everywhere and is also the christian god?

The problem with the Christian argument that god is good is that it is an equally justifiable proposition that evil god created this universe to maximize evil and suffering. Positing evil god, we can use the same logic the Christians use for a good god to justify the universe as a creation for evil.
So it is that God looks down and sees a smal boy digging in the trash for some food. There he finds a crust of bread and jumps up and down thanking God. At the same time God sees a man dressed in a fine suit walk out of a sky scraper office building towards his brand new porsche. There he finds a tiny scratch in the shiny red finish and the man curses God for his bad luck.
27-04-2013, 11:35 AM
(26-04-2013 06:21 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 09:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  My honest answer is that the cause of the universe is way bigger than the universe.

So is this correct?

God is love, the first cause of the universe, exists everywhere and is also the christian god?
I'm saying that I belive there is a purpose for the universe and for our existence. And I also believe that the purpose is to show why Love is to be valued.
27-04-2013, 11:37 AM
(27-04-2013 11:18 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 11:11 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, I rarely bother with the crap religionists hurl at us - have already wasted more than enough time of my life on their fucked-up fairty-tale. (And if I did bother, it would have to be someone way more intelligent than that joke of a poster.) Would have missed that particular pile of arrogant rubbish if HoC hadn't quoted him...

Wow, where did you learn Christianity?

The real question here is where did you? You love using the no true scotsman fallacy to wipe away all the evil done by your cult and are blindingly ignorant about it's history. You have on multiple occasions ignored direct historical counters to your little fairy tale and still spout off about this god is love thing yet somehow add christ to it without connecting the dots. Either you believe in the christian mythos and just don't understand the religion (by which I mean the history and supposedly divinely inspired word of Yahweh and the life and tales of Jesus Christ as told by men who never met him) or you have rejected that myth and are just cherry-picking terms to make you feel better about leaving the cult of your youth.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense