the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2013, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 11:57 AM by childeye.)
RE: the God term
(27-04-2013 11:37 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 11:18 AM)childeye Wrote:  Wow, where did you learn Christianity?

The real question here is where did you? You love using the no true scotsman fallacy to wipe away all the evil done by your cult and are blindingly ignorant about it's history. You have on multiple occasions ignored direct historical counters to your little fairy tale and still spout off about this god is love thing yet somehow add christ to it without connecting the dots. Either you believe in the christian mythos and just don't understand the religion (by which I mean the history and supposedly divinely inspired word of Yahweh and the life and tales of Jesus Christ as told by men who never met him) or you have rejected that myth and are just cherry-picking terms to make you feel better about leaving the cult of your youth.
I'm not blind to the history of those who claimed to know and believe in the christ and yet acted contrary to the Spirit of The Christ. Your either\ors do not take into account all the variables in my view. I admit you ask a fair question when you wonder where I learned Christianity. Please allow me to decline to answer. I am not yet comfortable sharing that on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2013, 11:48 AM
(27-04-2013 11:35 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 06:21 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  So is this correct?

God is love, the first cause of the universe, exists everywhere and is also the christian god?
I'm saying that I belive there is a purpose for the universe and for our existence. And I also believe that the purpose is to show why Love is to be valued.

Why isn't the purpose for the universe to maximize evil? Why didn't evil god create the universe so that all mankind has to suffer through death? You assume some nonsense about god = love is true, but evil god is just as logical.
27-04-2013, 11:53 AM
bump, bump, bump
27-04-2013, 11:55 AM
fuck fuck fuckity

wank wank wank

Imma True Christian Big Grin
27-04-2013, 12:04 PM
(27-04-2013 11:53 AM)childeye Wrote:  bump, bump, bump

Yawn.
So who are y'all gonna back for the Kentucky Derby next Saturday ?
I should prolly get a fancy hat, and fly out there.
No ?
Anyone have a flowered, wide-brimmed hat I could borrow ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-04-2013, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 12:14 PM by childeye.)
(27-04-2013 11:48 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 11:35 AM)childeye Wrote:  I'm saying that I belive there is a purpose for the universe and for our existence. And I also believe that the purpose is to show why Love is to be valued.

Why isn't the purpose for the universe to maximize evil? Why didn't evil god create the universe so that all mankind has to suffer through death? You assume some nonsense about god = love is true, but evil god is just as logical.
You make a partially valid point since maximizing evil and proving the value of Love are really saying the same thing. One can only learn to appreciate the Light when experiencing darkness. However, it is not logical to me that God is teaching us to hold in esteem evil.
27-04-2013, 12:22 PM
(27-04-2013 12:10 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 11:48 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Why isn't the purpose for the universe to maximize evil? Why didn't evil god create the universe so that all mankind has to suffer through death? You assume some nonsense about god = love is true, but evil god is just as logical.
You make a partially valid point since maximizing evil and proving the value of Love are really saying the same thing. One can only learn to appreciate the Light when experiencing darkness. However, it is not logical to me that God is teaching us to hold in esteem evil.

All the points you can make to justify your belief in a god maximizing love can be made about a god maximizing evil . We require love in order to understand evil. One can only learn to appreciate the Dark when experiencing lightness. Allow me to quote the great philosopher, Chef:
"Well, look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then it would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power."

That was a funny thing from South Park because it is the same logic the faithful use to justify love.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
27-04-2013, 12:32 PM
(27-04-2013 12:22 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 12:10 PM)childeye Wrote:  You make a partially valid point since maximizing evil and proving the value of Love are really saying the same thing. One can only learn to appreciate the Light when experiencing darkness. However, it is not logical to me that God is teaching us to hold in esteem evil.

All the points you can make to justify your belief in a god maximizing love can be made about a god maximizing evil . We require love in order to understand evil. One can only learn to appreciate the Dark when experiencing lightness. Allow me to quote the great philosopher, Chef:
"Well, look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then it would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power."

That was a funny thing from South Park because it is the same logic the faithful use to justify love.
It is not the same logic. It is the reverse so to speak. An anti logic based on the reversal of the meanings of terms. Darkness is not equal to light anymore than good is equal to evil. Nonetheless even the foolishess of illogic at least contemplates the axiom.
27-04-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 12:39 PM by Revenant77x.)
(27-04-2013 11:45 AM)childeye Wrote:  I'm not blind to the history of those who claimed to know and believe in the christ and yet acted contrary to the Spirit of The Christ. Your either\ors do not take into account all the variables in my view. I admit you ask a fair question when you wonder where I learned Christianity. Please allow me to decline to answer. I am not yet comfortable sharing that on this forum.

I actually meant the History of the formation of christianity and my either or was not a universal statement. Not everyone has that choice it was meant just for you. Based on what I have read of your views and responses to questions those are the only 2 conclusions I can draw.

Sometimes you use the bible to defend your point other times you disavow the same source. You claim to be a christian but yet seem to follow none of the tenants required to be a christian (don't feel bad most of today's christians do exactly that). You mentioned growing up as a catholic but leaving that faith.

Your story about your mother suggests you grew up in a broken home with no father figure and a very estranged relationship with your mother until shortly before her death. So adding those pieces together it does paint a very clear picture of your formational beliefs.

1 You are not as dumb as you play at when asked questions you don't like the answers to. 2 Early childhood trauma (such as the rejection of a parent) tends to leave a large psychological gap that needs to be filled. 3 You never found anyone to fill that gap, despite trying as hard as you could. 4 The rejection of an organised faith allows you the opportunity to construct your perfect replacement for what is missing in your life

Thus God=love to you because that is what you most want and need but can not obtain. So you ever been married? Did it end badly? Trust issues? It's ok you are not alone. We all have doubts and insecurities it's part of being Human.

To fully answer your question of what God is to an atheist it is the purest form of wishful thinking. It comforts people to think that out there in the cold cruel world someone is looking out for them, making sure they have everything they need. If they ever need anything really really badly they will get it because they believe they are "good people" and bad things don't happen to good people. God is the reason for and cause of everything that happens to them so it is not their fault if things don't go as planned. "God works in mysterious ways" quote the faithful whenever something bad happens. "His ways are not our ways" to excuse all the genocide and horror contained in the Bible. Ultimately God is a construct that people give of themselves to ease conscience and feel a sense of serenity. But that comes at a great cost because the more you give to your fantasy the less you have of yourself. God says nothing but people claim to hear him in everything, he gives a ready excuse to hate anyone who is not exactly the same as you. I leave you with this thought "Let go and let God" is a popular saying and the implications are clear "You are not in control stop thinking and do as you are told".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-04-2013, 12:46 PM
(27-04-2013 12:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 12:22 PM)BryanS Wrote:  All the points you can make to justify your belief in a god maximizing love can be made about a god maximizing evil . We require love in order to understand evil. One can only learn to appreciate the Dark when experiencing lightness. Allow me to quote the great philosopher, Chef:

It is not the same logic. It is the reverse so to speak. An anti logic based on the reversal of the meanings of terms. Darkness is not equal to light anymore than good is equal to evil. Nonetheless even the foolishess of illogic at least contemplates the axiom.

Semantic word game arguments won't win here. You yourself conceded that your concept of love is defined in opposition to darkness and evil.

"Nonetheless even the foolishess of illogic at least contemplates the axiom." Laughat Fine example of word salad. WTF is that supposed to mean?