15-04-2013, 03:43 PM
RE: the God term
thread 13 pages
parse error
fuck this

God = a weasel word for
- I don't understand and it bugs me.
- I'm scared of dying.
- No one listens to me and they deserve to burn for that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2013, 03:43 PM
(15-04-2013 03:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:32 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So you are confusing your own conscience and emotions with that somehow being a god and not just being human.
I sincerely don't think so. Men crucified the Christ thinking they were serving God.

No they didn't they crucified him for being a rebel in revolt against Rome.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-04-2013, 03:45 PM
(15-04-2013 03:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  Is it wrong of me to desire a serious discussion from a serious atheist? I'm saying God is Love\Empathy. Now how am I suppose to respond to your claim that there exists no empathy in mankind because there are mosquitos?

Saying that your dog is a Christian pretty obliterated any shred of seriousness that is taken of you.
I'd agree with you if I had ever said that.
15-04-2013, 03:50 PM
(15-04-2013 03:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, empathy is a trait that came about through evolution and is displayed by other species besides humans.

There is no evidence that empathy is a 'spiritual existence', whatever that means.
I agree empathy is displayed by other animals. Funny, I said the same thing and others have turned that into my dog accepted Jesus. Spiritual means we feel an emotion, such as empathy. Existence means to exist. So despite your claim that there is no evidence that empathy is a spiritual existence the fact remains it is an emotion that exists. So you believe Empathy came about by evolution. That is definitely not provable. Especially since many scientific studies have proven otherwise.

No scientific studies have proven otherwise. None.

The fact that other animals display empathy supports its evolutionary origin.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 03:51 PM
(15-04-2013 03:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  thread 13 pages
parse error
fuck this

God = a weasel word for
- I don't understand and it bugs me.
- I'm scared of dying.
- No one listens to me and they deserve to burn for that.
This is a typical religious response about the term God. Respectfully, I would submit that your problem isn't with God\empathy, it's with false religion which teaches such things as you describe. Note: Christianity is not about fearing death , it is about not fearing death. Also, what do you mean by no one listens so they deserve to burn for that? Sounds like the devil to me.
15-04-2013, 03:54 PM
(15-04-2013 03:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Saying that your dog is a Christian pretty obliterated any shred of seriousness that is taken of you.
I'd agree with you if I had ever said that.

My bad. You didn't say "Christian". You just said your dog was theistic.

Since she doesn't speak English, you don't know if she believes in Christ... so, she's possibly a pagan dog, right? She's actually probably Hindu. It makes sense.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 03:58 PM
(15-04-2013 03:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'd agree with you if I had ever said that.

My bad. You didn't say "Christian". You just said your dog was theistic.

Since she doesn't speak English, you don't know if she believes in Christ... so, she's possibly a pagan dog, right? She's actually probably Hindu. It makes sense.

In any case, she's probably dogmatic. Drinking Beverage

And not Catholic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
15-04-2013, 03:59 PM
(15-04-2013 02:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 12:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No I have no special aversion to the word god. Now the word "God" yes I am skeptical of since once you capitalise it you turn it into a proper noun and attempt to personify a vague notion.

I can now spit scripture out at you to show all the hate filled things Jesus has been reported as saying but you say the bible is not a holy scripture to you so instead I will ask you a question and then give you a theory as to the answer to that question.

Q: You claimed that the Jews killed christ (an oft asserted crime by followers of Paul of tarsus through Luke) however would it have been the jews Jesus would have been stoned. However Jesus was crucified, a punishment reserved not for blasphemy , as Rome really did not care about the jewish god, but rather for the crime of sedition. So if Jesus was all about love why was he executed as an armed rebel in the company of armed rebels?

My answer to this is he was trying to start a rebellion against Rome to fulfill the actual jewish prophecies and failed. Jesus is rejected by the jews as false because he did not fulfill the nationalistic prophesies regarding the ascension of a Jewish led state that would rule the world. Yeshua ben Joseph (the most likely real Jesus) was a failed rebel and nothing more. All the myths you swallow about him were written long after his death.
I Respectfully disagree. I do not personify a vague notion. I personify a proven spiritual existence called empathy. I could call it a thing and oftentimes do. My point is, my relationship with "Empathy" is personable. For example, I'm driving down the highway and someone cuts me off, and I get angry at the driver. This voice comes in my head and says something like,"hey, haven't you done that to someone before?" I answer."yes, but I had to get over to exit". Then He answers and says, "So why don't you give this guy the same benefit of the doubt about his intentions." Then I feel different and say, "you're right, thank you for the correction". Then I bless that man on his way and am glad that "Empathy\God" kept me from being an asshole.

But you seem to not comprehend that internal conversation isn't happening with god..it's just your brain validating your anger and rationalizing what happened.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-04-2013, 04:02 PM
(15-04-2013 03:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, empathy is a trait that came about through evolution and is displayed by other species besides humans.

There is no evidence that empathy is a 'spiritual existence', whatever that means.
I agree empathy is displayed by other animals. Funny, I said the same thing and others have turned that into my dog accepted Jesus. Spiritual means we feel an emotion, such as empathy. Existence means to exist. So despite your claim that there is no evidence that empathy is a spiritual existence the fact remains it is an emotion that exists. So you believe Empathy came about by evolution. That is definitely not provable. Especially since many scientific studies have proven otherwise.

You didn't say "spiritual". You said "theistic".

You literally said your dog believes in some type of god.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 04:04 PM
(15-04-2013 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  I agree empathy is displayed by other animals. Funny, I said the same thing and others have turned that into my dog accepted Jesus. Spiritual means we feel an emotion, such as empathy. Existence means to exist. So despite your claim that there is no evidence that empathy is a spiritual existence the fact remains it is an emotion that exists. So you believe Empathy came about by evolution. That is definitely not provable. Especially since many scientific studies have proven otherwise.

No scientific studies have proven otherwise. None.

The fact that other animals display empathy supports its evolutionary origin.
In the case study I recall, there were three groups of chimpanzees. Each group made up of Mothers and their babies. One group were allowed contact with their Mothers all through adolescence. The second group half of every day of their adolescent lives and the third grew up never being in contact with their Mothers throughout adolescence. Group one turned out to be sharing, secure, and got along well with peers. The second group were more insecure, untrusting, and prone to extreme violence to get what they wanted. The third group came out insane. Hence the study showed that Love must precede in existence so as to continue existing and cannot evolve into existence. Other psychological studies with humans confirm the same.