the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2013, 08:48 AM
RE: the God term
(28-04-2013 03:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ya know what I don't understand? Justin Beiber. Know what I do about it? I don't go there. So why are you here? Consider

I mean, if you're like me and my Gwynnies, just going on 'cause you're so full of it and cannot help yourself; well, I really can't take exception to that. But it still seems like you're trying to sell us something. And you definitely seem to have your own definitions for things. Perhaps part of the problem is your non-standard use of terms. Undecided
I can appreciate what you said here. I think the reason you feel I am trying to sell you something is simply because we have opposing ideas of the definition of the term God. I end up trying to convince you of the existence of an absolute Truth when it comes to morality and how we treat others. This also explains the disconnect with many other terms. To "believe" in God is a good thing to me because I have a favorable view of God. To the atheist it is a bad thing to "believe" but not based on favorable or unfavorable. Please notice that When an atheist says "believe" it pertains to "existence of". When I say "believe" it pertains to trusting in the perpetuity of God or the trustworthiness of God which has nothing to do with existence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 09:12 AM
(29-04-2013 08:48 AM)childeye Wrote:  When I say "believe" it pertains to trusting in the perpetuity of God or the trustworthiness of God which has nothing to do with existence.

So believing in good fairies, unicorns etc is
a. good
b. bad
c. laughable ?

After all they're all exceptionally trustworthy...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-04-2013, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2013 09:26 AM by childeye.)
29-04-2013, 09:23 AM
(29-04-2013 09:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 08:48 AM)childeye Wrote:  When I say "believe" it pertains to trusting in the perpetuity of God or the trustworthiness of God which has nothing to do with existence.

So believing in good fairies, unicorns etc is
a. good
b. bad
c. laughable ?

After all they're all exceptionally trustworthy...
Funny. But no, Casper the friendly ghost is a fantasy. Empathy is real.
29-04-2013, 09:28 AM
(29-04-2013 09:23 AM)childeye Wrote:  Empathy is real.
And has a neurological explanation. What does it have to do with god and proving it? Better still, how does empathy prove your particular sky daddy? What if I said empathy was proof that Mohammed was indeed the one true prophet? Allahu Akbar!

Or better yet, empathy proves Perun who is also love and love is him and he is... hmm, I think I just gave myself a headache...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
29-04-2013, 09:55 AM
(29-04-2013 09:23 AM)childeye Wrote:  Funny. But no, Casper the friendly ghost is a fantasy. Empathy is real.

As Vera said more bluntly, and as seems to have failed to penetrate your cranium, if trusting God has nothing to do with whether or not God is there to enjoy being trusted, then why not choose a more palatable God to trust than old Kill-all-my-enemies-and-make-random-sacrifices-of-people-for-arbitrary-crimes-mainly-not-believing-my-wild-eyed-unwashed-priests Jehovah ?
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-04-2013, 09:55 AM
29-04-2013, 10:28 AM
29-04-2013, 10:59 AM
(29-04-2013 10:28 AM)childeye Wrote:  I agree that the biological structure of the brain is equipped to register Love and be compelled by Love. This must be so for Love to even be recognized. However, the altruistic tendency of empathy is bigger than the individual with it's own social agenda, which is why it is a moral imperative to those who are enabled

Quote:Respectfully, Your overlooking this major point. Empathy is not my skydaddy, It\He is everyone's who is enabled to be moved by It\Him.

And you know this how exactly? Oh wait, I get it - you just know it. Well, I hate to break it to you, but that still doesn't make it true. Or even remotely coherent.

Quote:I am not schooled as to the teachings of Mohammed. The differences I discern between Christianity and Islam, is that the True Christianity claims that all men will know God for themselves as the Love within us. Islam seems to feel the need to force people to be good by threat of punishment.

As opposed to Xtianity? The irony and blindness of this statement have truly left me speechless. Unbelievable what levels of delusion people are capable of. No

Quote:Look, all I know is we all need Love so as to function in society. In my experiences with talking to Him in my conscience, He is a Person and the best part of me.
Then I am truly and sincerely sorry for you. I'm not trying to be offensive or condescending, but this sounds like a truly horrible place to be and an unbelievably sad way to feel.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-04-2013, 11:05 AM
(29-04-2013 09:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 09:23 AM)childeye Wrote:  Funny. But no, Casper the friendly ghost is a fantasy. Empathy is real.

As Vera said more bluntly, and as seems to have failed to penetrate your cranium, if trusting God has nothing to do with whether or not God is there to enjoy being trusted, then why not choose a more palatable God to trust than old Kill-all-my-enemies-and-make-random-sacrifices-of-people-for-arbitrary-crimes-mainly-not-believing-my-wild-eyed-unwashed-priests Jehovah ?
I assume you are talking about the God of Old Testament scripture. This did not as you say fail to penetrate my cranium. I simply have problems with how atheists frame the questions. You always seem to conflate God with religion. To me, it makes your questions incoherent. You end up erecting a straw man to argue with. For example, The Image of God I believe\trust in, is His Christ. As was already said many times now on this thread, no man can believe in the Christ unless enabled by God to do so. Therefore I did not actually choose the Christ nor did I conjure him. I simply know I see a divine Love on the cross according to the Gospel account. Moreover the Christ changed the order of heaven according to New Testament scripture, so that what you would see in the Old Testament is not the same as what we see in the New Testament.