the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2013, 10:46 PM
RE: the God term
(29-04-2013 09:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 09:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Isn't your wife pregnant? Are you out of your mind? Not too attached to your nads are ya?

My husband once told me (when I was pregnant) don't worry I'll take you out to dinner. We went to a restaurant and it closed. I yelled at him for 45 minutes straight because he fucking planned it.

Oh yeah, really pregnant. Like over eight mths preggo. I reconsidered my plan at the last moment and decided to tickle her taint instead. All is well. Big Grin

Much smarter

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 10:49 PM
(29-04-2013 10:44 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 09:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Glad to see this thread is now back to talking about something worthwhile and not invisible Thumbsup

Yeah debates are fun but in the end we are people and need a break too!

Yes true!

Right now I'm annoyed with husband. He's being a doodyhead. Dodgy

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-04-2013, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013 11:38 AM by childeye.)
(29-04-2013 05:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 05:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yeah I was saying it. Jesus said it, Paul said it. Luke 23:34
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
1 Corinthians 2:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

And again I must point out that the crime for which he was executed was sedition against Rome and breaking the Pax Romana. Thus why he was crucified a method reserved for people in revolt against Rome. Satan didn't kill him The Jews didn't kill him He effectively committed Suicide by cop circca 35 ce. Rome did not fuck around with anyone trying to start revolts they executed them quickly with no trial in the most horrible and publicly shaming way possible Naked and Nailed to a cross. This was a warning you do not Fuck with Rome.
Despite the fact that those in power in Rome had to resort to trying to politicize Christianity, it remains true that Rome fell and the Christ lives bigger than ever.
30-04-2013, 11:27 AM
(29-04-2013 06:36 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 06:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  Just read the posts I recommended. They hold my views on the subject.

Not really it looks like you are trying to blame satan for evil, and embellish god with good.

Which can not work because god created satan and allows satan to do what he wants. The battle of heaven and hell is an illusion.

Unless you want to try and argue that satan isn't merely a divine scapegoat.
I am not blaming Satan for evil. I'm not even sure what you mean by evil. I'm saying in terms you will understand that "shit happens".
30-04-2013, 11:40 AM
(30-04-2013 11:27 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 06:36 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Not really it looks like you are trying to blame satan for evil, and embellish god with good.

Which can not work because god created satan and allows satan to do what he wants. The battle of heaven and hell is an illusion.

Unless you want to try and argue that satan isn't merely a divine scapegoat.
I am not blaming Satan for evil. I'm not even sure what you mean by evil. I'm saying in terms you will understand that "shit happens".

I don't see how that absolves god of evil

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-04-2013, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013 12:01 PM by childeye.)
For everyone's info, I am a male 55 years of age. The discussion here has been sidetracked several times as a course of keeping up with differing points of view from different people. Some here have been willing to think outside the atheist box and pretend for my sake that there is a God and He is Love. The discussion had progressed to some key points. One was an excellent scenario where God was likened to a person handing a baby a piece of candy and then talking it away making the baby cry. I wish we could pursue that line of reasoning since it ultimately leads to the central question. Should the God of scripture be trusted or is God untrustworthy. Are all things built on faith or doubt?
30-04-2013, 11:50 AM
(30-04-2013 11:40 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 11:27 AM)childeye Wrote:  I am not blaming Satan for evil. I'm not even sure what you mean by evil. I'm saying in terms you will understand that "shit happens".

I don't see how that absolves god of evil
Again I don't know what you mean by evil. In scripture when God does evil, it is usually defined as calamity. Have you ever read the story of Job?
30-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I have to fix the brakes in my truck. I'll be back later. I would like to discuss the scenario where God was likened to a person handing a baby a piece of candy and then talking it away making the baby cry. Of course this appears to be cruel. So can any of you smart atheists think of a pure and loving intention as to why God would do this?
30-04-2013, 12:20 PM
(30-04-2013 12:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  I have to fix the brakes in my truck. I'll be back later. I would like to discuss the scenario where God was likened to a person handing a baby a piece of candy and then talking it away making the baby cry. Of course this appears to be cruel. So can any of you smart atheists think of a pure and loving intention as to why God would do this?

Not really, but I'll take a stab at what I think you might present.

See, god has to give the baby candy in order for the baby to know what being a baby with candy is like. Then he takes it away so that the baby will appreciate just how yummy delicious the candy was, and how sad he is now that it's gone. Just like your take on virgins having to lose their virginity in order to appreciate what being a virgin is. Even though I think that's a weak argument anyway. Then god can blame the candy theft on satan.

Hey, just like Job! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
30-04-2013, 12:28 PM
(30-04-2013 12:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Just like your take on virgins having to lose their virginity in order to appreciate what being a virgin is.

Back up just a little here! He can't have made such an argument, right? Right?! Blink

('Cause I tend to skip his crap, just as I rarely bother with that of the rest of the religionists who stumble in on a regular basis, spinning the same moth-eaten yarns).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."