the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2013, 06:15 PM
RE: the God term
(30-04-2013 06:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 05:58 PM)childeye Wrote:  I cannot prove to myself where the light ends and the darkness begins. But I can tell which way the Light is shining from. Love is the Light that makes things right.

http://www.amazon.com/Quan-Analysis-Spec...ectrometer

Here you go now you can prove where the light ends.
I need a Lovometer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2013, 06:52 PM
(30-04-2013 06:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 05:58 PM)childeye Wrote:  I cannot prove to myself where the light ends and the darkness begins. But I can tell which way the Light is shining from. Love is the Light that makes things right.

Love is a great thing. We should all strive to be more loving. Doesn't have a thing to do with the existence of god.
How does one strive to be more loving? Is it not true that love is often there and we decline the opportunity? So let's say I see a man begging on a corner holding a cardboard sign. I feel compassion and then this thought comes and says he is faking it and making a fool of you and my compassion is squashed. Instead of a person in need, I see a con man. It all depends on what one believes to be true. One is true and one is a lie.
30-04-2013, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013 07:01 PM by childeye.)
(30-04-2013 06:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here's the thing I don't understsnd....if god technically created satan...couldn't he have just decided to vanquish him? It's like the whole destroying all the people, creatures and crap in giant flood. If your god and loving...why do that...why not just redo it...poof...earth is empty...except for whatever god wants....

No, instead we get a myth about a flood and rainbows.
How does God prevent vanity even if He started over? How does God make a companion or children who will come to love Him without Him forcing them to?
30-04-2013, 07:00 PM
(30-04-2013 06:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 06:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Love is a great thing. We should all strive to be more loving. Doesn't have a thing to do with the existence of god.
How does one strive to be more loving? Is it not true that love is often there and we decline the opportunity? So let's say I see a man begging on a corner holding a cardboard sign. I feel compassion and then this thought comes and says he is faking it and making a fool of you and my compassion is squashed. Instead of a person in need, I see a con man. It all depends on what one believes to be true. One is true and one is a lie.

If the ultimate love was guiding you it would not make a difference what the man's intentions are. You would only feel compassion regardless.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
30-04-2013, 07:02 PM
(30-04-2013 06:58 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 06:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here's the thing I don't understsnd....if god technically created satan...couldn't he have just decided to vanquish him? It's like the whole destroying all the people, creatures and crap in giant flood. If your god and loving...why do that...why not just redo it...poof...earth is empty...except for whatever god wants....

How does God get rid of vanity even if He started over?

Programming wouldn't be necessary if perfect conditions were created.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
30-04-2013, 07:09 PM
(30-04-2013 06:58 PM)childeye Wrote:  

How does God prevent vanity even if He started over? How does God make a companion or children who will come to love Him without Him forcing them to?

If god can do anything could he create a rock too heavy for him to lift?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

30-04-2013, 07:14 PM
(30-04-2013 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 06:58 PM)childeye Wrote:  How does God prevent vanity even if He started over? How does God make a companion or children who will come to love Him without Him forcing them to?

If god can do anything could he create a rock too heavy for him to lift?

Could God make an argument so circular that even He couldn't believe it?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-04-2013, 07:21 PM
(30-04-2013 07:14 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If god can do anything could he create a rock too heavy for him to lift?

Can an atheist believe that God made an atheist not believe in God?
30-04-2013, 07:33 PM
(30-04-2013 07:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 07:14 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Could God make an argument so circular that even He couldn't believe it?
Can an atheist believe that God made an atheist not believe in God?

Quote:“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

I suppose that God could be wicked and evil and if that is the case I would not worship him even if real and if he was proved to be real he would equally be proved wicked and evil.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-04-2013, 07:34 PM
(30-04-2013 07:14 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 07:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If god can do anything could he create a rock too heavy for him to lift?

Exactly! If he's omnipotent and omniscient....

There would be no need for satan to be god's bad little boy. No reason for a magic talking snake or even two magic trees. If someone is too vain, he could simply MAKE them not be vain. There would be no need for love at all..

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon