the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
RE: the God term
(01-05-2013 03:24 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 05:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  But even if everyone claimed the Truth of this doesn't exist, it does not make it so.

This may be the truest statement you've said so far.

So, my question to you is this: How do we tell what is true from what is untrue?

You have to think like a christian when you ask this guy questions.

He'll simply assert something insane like if it doesn't conform to love, and the bible it's not true.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 03:46 PM
[Image: DXkqDIW.gif]

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
the God term
(01-05-2013 03:29 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:24 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  This may be the truest statement you've said so far.

So, my question to you is this: How do we tell what is true from what is untrue?

You have to think like a christian when you ask this guy questions.

He'll simply assert something insane like if it doesn't conform to love, and the bible it's not true.

Childeye is unlike the Christians I know. The delusion is strong in this one. He's no Egor, I'll give you that.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
01-05-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 07:31 PM by childeye.)
01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
(01-05-2013 03:53 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:29 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  You have to think like a christian when you ask this guy questions.

Childeye is unlike the Christians I know. The delusion is strong in this one. He's no Egor, I'll give you that.

I find him similar to those New Age types that constantly flip around what they mean and end up trying to pass incoherence off as depth.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
the God term
(01-05-2013 04:10 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:53 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Childeye is unlike the Christians I know. The delusion is strong in this one. He's no Egor, I'll give you that.

I find him similar to those New Age types that constantly flip around what they mean and end up trying to pass incoherence off as depth.

Like The Chopra-tron 5000?
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
You keep talking to this guy, he's gonna keep flapping his gums. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
(01-05-2013 04:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You keep talking to this guy, he's gonna keep flapping his gums. Dodgy

I am well aware of that and I am having a good time countering his arguments.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
the God term
(01-05-2013 04:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You keep talking to this guy, he's gonna keep flapping his gums. :dodgy:

Just because you're not bored and his ravings don't entertain you doesn't mean I have to stop. If you're done why are you still in here?
01-05-2013, 05:41 PM
We are perpetually told, that, without a God there would be no moral obligation; that the people and even the sovereigns require a legislator powerful enough to constrain them. Moral constraint supposes a law; but this law arises from the eternal and necessary relations of things with one another; relations, which have nothing common with the existence of a God. The rules of Man's conduct are derived from his own nature which he is capable of knowing, and not from the Divine nature of which he has no idea. These rules constrain or oblige us; that is, we render ourselves estimable or contemptible, amiable or detestable, worthy of reward or of punishment, happy or unhappy, accordingly as we conform to, or deviate from these rules. The law, which obliges man not to hurt himself, is founded upon the nature of a sensible being, who, in whatever way he came into this world, is forced by his actual essence to seek good and shun evil, to love pleasure and fear pain. The law, which obliges man not to injure, and even to do good to others, is founded upon the nature of sensible beings, living in society, whose essence compels them to despise those who are useless, and to detest those who oppose their felicity.

Whether there exists a God or not, whether this God has spoken or not, the moral duties of men will be always the same, so long as they are sensible beings. Have men then need of a God whom they know not, of an invisible legislator, of a mysterious religion and of chimerical fears, in order to learn that every excess evidently tends to destroy them, that to preserve health they must be temperate; that to gain the love of others it is necessary to do them good, that to do them evil is a sure means to incur their vengeance and hatred? "Before the law there was no sin." Nothing is more false than this maxim. It suffices that man is what he is, or that he is a sensible being, in order to distinguish what gives him pleasure or displeasure. It suffices that one man knows that another man is a sensible being like himself, to perceive what is useful or hurtful to him. It suffices that man needs his fellow-creature, in order to know that he must fear to excite sentiments unfavourable to himself. Thus the feeling and thinking being has only to feel and think, in order to discover what he must do for himself and others. I feel, and another feels like me; this is the foundation of all morals.

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post