the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: the God term
(01-05-2013 06:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:03 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  You don't get it. The very idea that god is all loving is contradicted by REALITY.
Reality isn't even finished yet. Moreover, you only see the corruption of what is good and then blame God who is the goodness.

Shocking

I'm starting to wonder if you are a poe?

Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
bump bump bump
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
(01-05-2013 03:24 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 05:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  But even if everyone claimed the Truth of this doesn't exist, it does not make it so.

This may be the truest statement you've said so far.

So, my question to you is this: How do we tell what is true from what is untrue?
All lies end in hypocrisy. Therefore Truth is made evident to the honest soul. It is true that the trustworthy ruler is one who would sacrifice himself to save others while the ruler that would sacrifice others to save himself is untrustworthy. It's that simple.
01-05-2013, 07:44 PM
(01-05-2013 06:51 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 06:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  Reality isn't even finished yet. Moreover, you only see the corruption of what is good and then blame God who is the goodness.

Shocking

Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.

He's been called out as a Poe like around page 10. Can't recall now who said it first. KC said it second tho.

159 pages of going round and round. Same circular logic. Same ignoring what he doesn't want to deal with..

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
(01-05-2013 07:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:24 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  This may be the truest statement you've said so far.

So, my question to you is this: How do we tell what is true from what is untrue?
All lies end in hypocrisy. Therefore Truth is made evident to the honest soul. It is true that the trustworthy ruler is one who would sacrifice himself to save others while the ruler that would sacrifice others to save himself is untrustworthy. It's that simple.

Why are you so edgy?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
(01-05-2013 05:41 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  We are perpetually told, that, without a God there would be no moral obligation; that the people and even the sovereigns require a legislator powerful enough to constrain them. Moral constraint supposes a law; but this law arises from the eternal and necessary relations of things with one another; relations, which have nothing common with the existence of a God. The rules of Man's conduct are derived from his own nature which he is capable of knowing, and not from the Divine nature of which he has no idea. These rules constrain or oblige us; that is, we render ourselves estimable or contemptible, amiable or detestable, worthy of reward or of punishment, happy or unhappy, accordingly as we conform to, or deviate from these rules. The law, which obliges man not to hurt himself, is founded upon the nature of a sensible being, who, in whatever way he came into this world, is forced by his actual essence to seek good and shun evil, to love pleasure and fear pain. The law, which obliges man not to injure, and even to do good to others, is founded upon the nature of sensible beings, living in society, whose essence compels them to despise those who are useless, and to detest those who oppose their felicity.

Whether there exists a God or not, whether this God has spoken or not, the moral duties of men will be always the same, so long as they are sensible beings. Have men then need of a God whom they know not, of an invisible legislator, of a mysterious religion and of chimerical fears, in order to learn that every excess evidently tends to destroy them, that to preserve health they must be temperate; that to gain the love of others it is necessary to do them good, that to do them evil is a sure means to incur their vengeance and hatred? "Before the law there was no sin." Nothing is more false than this maxim. It suffices that man is what he is, or that he is a sensible being, in order to distinguish what gives him pleasure or displeasure. It suffices that one man knows that another man is a sensible being like himself, to perceive what is useful or hurtful to him. It suffices that man needs his fellow-creature, in order to know that he must fear to excite sentiments unfavourable to himself. Thus the feeling and thinking being has only to feel and think, in order to discover what he must do for himself and others. I feel, and another feels like me; this is the foundation of all morals.
I like this. It points to the attributes endowed by the Creator. It does not however speak to vanity.
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
(01-05-2013 07:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:24 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  This may be the truest statement you've said so far.

How do you know it's a the real truth and not just what hope to be true?

Yea....the basic most simplistic answer is you don't and you can't know for sure. Just like you prove your idea that god is love....sure it sounds lovely in your head...but it can't stand. You must prove god exists and you can't. You keep going around and round...

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
(01-05-2013 06:51 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 06:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  Reality isn't even finished yet. Moreover, you only see the corruption of what is good and then blame God who is the goodness.

Shocking

As a rule of thumb, I always try to figure that your are not a poe and are being sincere when I am not sure.
01-05-2013, 08:03 PM
(01-05-2013 07:45 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 07:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  All lies end in hypocrisy. Therefore Truth is made evident to the honest soul. It is true that the trustworthy ruler is one who would sacrifice himself to save others while the ruler that would sacrifice others to save himself is untrustworthy. It's that simple.

Why are you so edgy?
Edgy? Please elaborate.
01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
(01-05-2013 08:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 07:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  All lies end in hypocrisy. Therefore Truth is made evident to the honest soul. It is true that the trustworthy ruler is one who would sacrifice himself to save others while the ruler that would sacrifice others to save himself is untrustworthy. It's that simple.

How do you know it's a the real truth and not just what hope to be true?

Yea....the basic most simplistic answer is you don't and you can't know for sure. Just like you prove your idea that god is love....sure it sounds lovely in your head...but it can't stand. You must prove god exists and you can't. You keep going around and round...

Shoo fly
I know God as Love. I've told you that umpteen times. I don't need to prove that Love rules as a moral prerequisite anymore than I need to prove I love.