the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
RE: the God term
The point is this:

You pull Bible quotes out your ass all the time.

Ergo, you like your Bible.

So you said "God blah blah would never tell anyone to steal"

And fstrat showed you a verse out of your own crappy taste in literature directly contradicting your twerpish statement.

No contradiction, but definitely reductio ad absurdum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
(02-05-2013 02:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 02:40 PM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  Can I define Banana as a railway ride from Toronto to Montréal?
I kinda doubt it. Now, if you were to call childeye bananas... Angel

Banana_zorro

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

02-05-2013, 03:05 PM
(02-05-2013 02:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 02:49 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Their claims are not mutually exclusive.
Let's see. God is hate because he had the Israelites take the Egyptians jewels.
But God didn't have the Israelites take the Egyptians jewels because it never happened.
And yet the spirit of hate is the most purest form of wishful thinking?

Sounds contradictory to me.

While it has been cute having you misuse a term like that wishful thinking is not a positive term. I can sense your misunderstanding though, you are mistaken about 1 thing. God did not create religion any more than the easter bunny created easter. Religion created God(s) because they were useful. Yahweh is no different from the millions of other gods.

So while we can prove that Exodus and the Israelite enslavement never happened in reality it is part of the lore surrounding Yahweh and does define his character. Much in the way that LOTR: The Two Towers is fiction but can be used to define the character of Saruman we use the myths that are attributed to Yahweh to define him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
(02-05-2013 02:40 PM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  I define thee God as a moral absolute as in the Eternal Spirit of Love.

Can I define Banana as a railway ride from Toronto to Montréal?

Language's value is in a common lexicon that means the same to everyone that hears it. So, just to set you straight:

god
noun \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\
Definition of GOD
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3 : a person or thing of supreme value
4 : a powerful ruler

The bolded definition bears some resemblance to yours, at least superficially. I assume you're a "Christian Scientist," then?

Jesus fracking Christ, excuse the expression, but I think the religion I was raised in was nutty for not allowing blood transfusions. Let me know how that complete lack of modern medical treatment thing works out for you.
Definition of God

noun

1 [without article] (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
the God term
(02-05-2013 02:15 PM)childeye Wrote:  Bucky ball calls this entire story a myth.

Meanwhile Revenant 77 says that God is the purest form of wishful thinking.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive. IMHO myth == wishful thinking.
02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
(02-05-2013 03:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Banana_zorro

I guess this is as good a time and place to come out and say that I fucking hate this smiley.

Of course, being an atheist, that's a given, 'cause what do I know of love... Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
(02-05-2013 02:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 02:49 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Their claims are not mutually exclusive.
Let's see. God is hate because he had the Israelites take the Egyptians jewels.
But God didn't have the Israelites take the Egyptians jewels because it never happened.

It sounds that way because the spirit of hate is really good at using metaphors.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
(02-05-2013 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  The point is this:

You pull Bible quotes out your ass all the time.

Ergo, you like your Bible.

So you said "God blah blah would never tell anyone to steal"

And fstrat showed you a verse out of your own crappy taste in literature directly contradicting your twerpish statement.

No contradiction, but definitely reductio ad absurdum.

Basically I'm using his form of rationalization to frame god/spirit as evil. Hopefully he'll realize how easy it is to argue a point when you throw logic in the dumpster.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
02-05-2013, 03:54 PM
(02-05-2013 03:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 02:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  Let's see. God is hate because he had the Israelites take the Egyptians jewels.

While it has been cute having you misuse a term like that wishful thinking is not a positive term. I can sense your misunderstanding though, you are mistaken about 1 thing. God did not create religion any more than the easter bunny created easter. Religion created God(s) because they were useful. Yahweh is no different from the millions of other gods.

So while we can prove that Exodus and the Israelite enslavement never happened in reality it is part of the lore surrounding Yahweh and does define his character. Much in the way that LOTR: The Two Towers is fiction but can be used to define the character of Saruman we use the myths that are attributed to Yahweh to define him.
First off, you said the purest form of wishful thinking. I think it is safe to assume that if God existed no one is wishing for God to be hate. I would disagree however that wishing for what is good is altogether bad because it is simply a wish. I imagine we all do this to some degree. Oftentimes our reality compells us to wish for better.
God as Love is not the Easter bunny by any means. Nor did men invent Love. The term God is seen commonly in dictionaries as the moral authority which Love does fulfill as a criteria. The golden rule is the spoken sentiments of Love in humanity. On this very forum Love is respected by most. Many people here would desire that the people in the world would be more loving. The purest form of wishful thinking happens even here on an atheist forum.