the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 04:02 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: the God term
(02-05-2013 03:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 03:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  While it has been cute having you misuse a term like that wishful thinking is not a positive term. I can sense your misunderstanding though, you are mistaken about 1 thing. God did not create religion any more than the easter bunny created easter. Religion created God(s) because they were useful. Yahweh is no different from the millions of other gods.

So while we can prove that Exodus and the Israelite enslavement never happened in reality it is part of the lore surrounding Yahweh and does define his character. Much in the way that LOTR: The Two Towers is fiction but can be used to define the character of Saruman we use the myths that are attributed to Yahweh to define him.
First off, you said the purest form of wishful thinking. I think it is safe to assume that if God existed no one is wishing for God to be hate. I would disagree however that wishing for what is good is altogether bad because it is simply a wish. I imagine we all do this to some degree. Oftentimes our reality compells us to wish for better.
God as Love is not the Easter bunny by any means. Nor did men invent Love. The term God is seen commonly in dictionaries as the moral authority which Love does fulfill as a criteria. The golden rule is the spoken sentiments of Love in humanity. On this very forum Love is respected by most. Many people here would desire that the people in the world would be more loving. The purest form of wishful thinking happens even here on an atheist forum.

God as hate is not the Easter bunny by any means. Nor did men invent hate. The term God is seen commonly in dictionaries as the moral authority which hate does fulfill as a criteria. The golden rule is the spoken sentiments of hate in humanity. On this very forum hate is respected by most. Many people here would desire that the people in the world would be more hateful. The purest form of wishful thinking happens even here on an atheist forum.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I've just been struck by a startling realisation. I think childeye might actually be... Elton John. Shocking

I believe in love, it's all we got
Love has no boundaries, costs nothing to touch
War makes money, cancer sleeps
Curled up in my father and that means something to me

I believe in love, it's all we got

Without love I wouldn't believe
In anything that lives and breathes
I wouldn't believe in the right to stand here
Without love I wouldn't believe
I couldn't believe in you
And I wouldn't believe in me
Without love

I believe in love
I believe in love
I believe in love

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
(02-05-2013 03:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 03:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  While it has been cute having you misuse a term like that wishful thinking is not a positive term. I can sense your misunderstanding though, you are mistaken about 1 thing. God did not create religion any more than the easter bunny created easter. Religion created God(s) because they were useful. Yahweh is no different from the millions of other gods.

So while we can prove that Exodus and the Israelite enslavement never happened in reality it is part of the lore surrounding Yahweh and does define his character. Much in the way that LOTR: The Two Towers is fiction but can be used to define the character of Saruman we use the myths that are attributed to Yahweh to define him.
First off, you said the purest form of wishful thinking. I think it is safe to assume that if God existed no one is wishing for God to be hate. I would disagree however that wishing for what is good is altogether bad because it is simply a wish. I imagine we all do this to some degree. Oftentimes our reality compells us to wish for better.
God as Love is not the Easter bunny by any means. Nor did men invent Love. The term God is seen commonly in dictionaries as the moral authority which Love does fulfill as a criteria. The golden rule is the spoken sentiments of Love in humanity. On this very forum Love is respected by most. Many people here would desire that the people in the world would be more loving. The purest form of wishful thinking happens even here on an atheist forum.

Circular reasoning makes circles better.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-05-2013, 04:02 PM
the God term
Is this what it feels like to be trapped in a Monty Python sketch?

[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
(02-05-2013 03:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 01:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  I don't know what please Jebus means.
I agree it has nothing to do with the gods since I only believe in Thee God. Again I agree since Thee God that I believe in is empathy.
We are always going to use differing terms, since to me the Spirit of Christ is the same spirit of empathy. But I get where you're trying to go with your explanation. I could have guessed you would say this. I notice you have said that evolution has built it into most people but not all. You are theorizing of course. However your explanation does not account for me knowing the exact circumstances like, they were praying, had spare but no jack. Nor does it explain my wife hearing the exact same thing word for word. She didn't even ask the question.

I agree religion has nothing to do with it. I trust you know that religion is, in my view, a man's view of god or gods, but not necessarily God. So what is it? E.S.P.? I say it is the voice of empathy and it knew details I did not know and spoke to both of us. I know many testimonies like this one and even greater ones. Evolution just doesn't satisfy as the answer to everything.

Your incredulity does not disprove evolution.
No of course not. But suppose I asked why do we take care of the elderly? To answer, because of evolution is not satisfactory, nor is it knowledge. Why do I love only my wife? Evolution. Why do I breed with many but marry none? Evolution. Why do we steal? Evolution. Why do we share? Evolution. Why do we eat? Evolution. Why do we not eat? Evolution. Why are there computers? Evolution. Why do we read and write? Evolution. Why is there poetry? Evolution. Why do I cry? Evolution. Why do I laugh? Evolution. Why do we sing? Evolution. Why do we dance? Evolution..etc,etc...and on and on and on and on....
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
(02-05-2013 04:02 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Is this what it feels like to be trapped in a Monty Python sketch?

It might have. If at least one of you was as cute as Michael Palin... Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
(02-05-2013 03:59 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 03:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  First off, you said the purest form of wishful thinking. I think it is safe to assume that if God existed no one is wishing for God to be hate. I would disagree however that wishing for what is good is altogether bad because it is simply a wish. I imagine we all do this to some degree. Oftentimes our reality compells us to wish for better.

Circular reasoning makes circles better.
Can't help it that Truth has it's gravity and we all must revolve around it.
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
(02-05-2013 04:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 03:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your incredulity does not disprove evolution.
No of course not. But suppose I asked why do we take care of the elderly? To answer, because of evolution is not satisfactory, nor is it knowledge. Why do I love only my wife? Evolution. Why do I breed with many but marry none? Evolution. Why do we steal? Evolution. Why do we share? Evolution. Why do we eat? Evolution. Why do we not eat? Evolution. Why are there computers? Evolution. Why do we read and write? Evolution. Why is there poetry? Evolution. Why do I cry? Evolution. Why do I laugh? Evolution. Why do we sing? Evolution. Why do we dance? Evolution..etc,etc...and on and on and on and on....

Why do we kill people who have resources others need? Why do mothers kill their children?

To answer evolution doesn't explain this. It's all because the god of hate told mothers that killing their children will preserve their innocence forever. The spirit of hate let the chosen people know that they were entitled to things because they were his favorite.

-Baron d'Holbach-
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
the God term
(02-05-2013 04:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 04:02 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Is this what it feels like to be trapped in a Monty Python sketch?

It might have. If at least one of you was as cute as Michael Palin... :dodgy:

No argument there. He is dreamy! <3
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
02-05-2013, 04:16 PM
the God term
(02-05-2013 04:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 03:59 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Circular reasoning makes circles better.
Can't help it that Truth has it's gravity and we all must revolve around it.

You seem to be overflowing with credulity.

I'm curious: earlier you described an event where you and your wife saw what you described as a UFO. You didn't tell us what you thought it was you saw. Any theories?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post