the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
RE: the God term
(03-05-2013 10:17 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 09:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  It depends on how one views the term "god\God\gods". You are really no different than me. You have a view of what is right and wrong just like everyone else. Where does this come from? We all want to love and be loved. When the term god is based upon a superstition, the term gains a bad reputation.

It comes evolution
Then you are proposing that God is the product of evolution? That superstition is the product of evolution? Then the suffering we see is the product of evolution? Politics are the product of evolution? We are decimating the earth with pollution and poverty. Wars over resources are evolution? Greed and genocide are the products of evolution? Self destruction is the product of evolution? Respectfully, I don't think you have thought this through.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 10:37 PM
(03-05-2013 10:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 09:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So.....the starving children in impoverished parts of the world who will never know compassion, mercy, comfort or anything of your fortunate life proves god is love.

Sounds reasonable.
You have spoken sentiments of compassion here. I hope you dwell upon those things and ask God why? You are not the first to want to say there is no God because we see such suffering. It is right that you care. Perhaps one day you will get your answer. I have had all mine answered, but each man must find God in their own way and for themselves unto their sincere satisfaction.

Your answer for now is simply, He's not there rather than asking, why is He not there? The atheist will do something about the suffering just like a true Christian will. Even Jesus said, why pray for God to help the suffering while you do nothing? All I'm saying is God is Love and He is inside of you. Everytime you care and you do something about it, He is living in you and through you. Everytime you act upon your Loving inclinations good things happen and their is less suffering. But when you say, "it is I and not God", then you have stepped into the thinking that is vanity and your love will become impure. In my understanding, those who think this way, will only become more and more self-righteous.

Your response is in no way, shape, or form an answer to my post.

I award you no points.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
(03-05-2013 09:42 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 09:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  You make a good point. To me everything does prove God is Love. Consequently Love is often a sweet sorrow.

No.

If you didn't know god what about your life would change.
Great question. For me, I would have gone nuts..
03-05-2013, 10:50 PM
(03-05-2013 10:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 10:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  You have spoken sentiments of compassion here. I hope you dwell upon those things and ask God why? You are not the first to want to say there is no God because we see such suffering. It is right that you care. Perhaps one day you will get your answer. I have had all mine answered, but each man must find God in their own way and for themselves unto their sincere satisfaction.

Your answer for now is simply, He's not there rather than asking, why is He not there? The atheist will do something about the suffering just like a true Christian will. Even Jesus said, why pray for God to help the suffering while you do nothing? All I'm saying is God is Love and He is inside of you. Everytime you care and you do something about it, He is living in you and through you. Everytime you act upon your Loving inclinations good things happen and their is less suffering. But when you say, "it is I and not God", then you have stepped into the thinking that is vanity and your love will become impure. In my understanding, those who think this way, will only become more and more self-righteous.

Your response is in no way, shape, or form an answer to my post.

I award you no points.
Sorry, I felt I answered it quite well. In short, when I see suffering I feel compassion and give of my self for the sake of ending suffering and there is proof of God. We've been over this before.
03-05-2013, 10:53 PM
(03-05-2013 09:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 09:03 PM)childeye Wrote:  First off Christianity is not a religion. Coming to Christ is not based upon religiosity.

The Old Testament is as much about the Christ as is the New. In part it is the foretelling of the coming of the Christ and setting up the circumstance so as to destroy the works of Satan and vanity. It also is the letter of that which would later come in the Spirit. The Old Testament also is therefore needed to establish all men as sinners. Why? So that in the New Testament sins can be forgiven and mercy prevail. So as to take away the inclination of one man to condemn another for sin without condemning himself. Why must this happen this way? So that men acknowledge that we find fault in others when in fact we also have faults. Finally, the sanctifying of our minds and hearts can begin even as we come to see that the Christ is our perfect goodness and He dwells in us by faith through grace.

Consider: Holiness is defined as pure and unadulterated. What is Holy needs neither to be added to, nor taken away from. Pity the mind and heart that finds fault with that which is Holy, for in truth it is his mind and heart are that are defiled. If in our convictions our maker is unholy, what does that make us? But if in our convictions our Maker is Holy, what does that make us? Morality is how we treat our fellow man. Every man has an image of god upon which he reasons all his moral choices. Watch a man's moral choices and you will see his image of god. The Christ is the True Image of God sent by God so as to destroy all false images. If you believe that God is like this man who suffered a cross and forgave those who crucified him, your moral Spirit will become like His and your love will be pure and without vanity. This is how the children of God are born and that is why we need the Old Testament.

If it isn't a religion can your churchs and ministers start paying taxes?
I don't have any churches or ministers.
03-05-2013, 11:00 PM
(03-05-2013 09:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote:Watch a man's moral choices and you will see his image of god.

You are quite aware of my image of god, yet I submit to you that my standard of morality is quite higher than most christians I know.

So what does that prove?
It proves most christians are following a religion and not Christ. The question you should be asking is this: Is your standard of morality greater than the Christ.
03-05-2013, 11:01 PM
(03-05-2013 10:53 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 09:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If it isn't a religion can your churchs and ministers start paying taxes?
I don't have any churches or ministers.

Just have to love christians. Lie after lie, pray later be forgiven. Derp...

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
(03-05-2013 10:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 10:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Your response is in no way, shape, or form an answer to my post.

I award you no points.
Sorry, I felt I answered it quite well. In short, when I see suffering I feel compassion and give of my self for the sake of ending suffering and there is proof of God. We've been over this before.

Fuck, man. It's not about you. It's not about your sense of compassion. It's not about your ability to feel empathy which in turn tickles your taint and makes you think that god is real.

It's about the poor goddamned child who's life is shit and will be for all of their pathetic existence and no one will come to the rescue.

No one.

Not you, not me, and especially not god. Your response answers shit. Your sense of empathy is shit if you think that your feeling bad about someone's situation makes god real.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
(03-05-2013 10:33 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 10:17 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  It comes evolution
Then you are proposing that God is the product of evolution? That superstition is the product of evolution? Then the suffering we see is the product of evolution? Politics are the product of evolution? We are decimating the earth with pollution and poverty. Wars over resources are evolution? Greed and genocide are the products of evolution? Self destruction is the product of evolution? Respectfully, I don't think you have thought this through.

No the urge to co-operate with others in our species was shaped by evolution.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
(03-05-2013 08:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The best minds will tell you that when a man has begotten a child he is morally bound to tenderly care for it, protect it from hurt, shield it from disease, clothe it, feed it, bear with its waywardness, lay no hand upon it save in kindness and for its own good, and never in any case inflict upon it a wanton cruelty. God's treatment of his earthly children, every day and every night, is the exact opposite of all that, yet those best minds warmly justify these crimes, condone them, excuse them, and indignantly refuse to regard them as crimes at all, when he commits them.
- Letters from the Earth
Hypocritical thinking. Whoever wrote this gives credit to men for everything good and blames God for everything bad. When what we see as the corruption of the way things should be, to straight away blame God is a conclusion based on an uninformed premise. If it is the God of scripture this person is blaming, he should read the part where God said these things would happen if we ate of the ffruit of knowledge of good and evil. Do these best minds understand that to know good and evil is to experience good and evil?