the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 05:05 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 04:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 04:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Now your dog has a "belief" in empathy and empathy is due to monotheism (which is what you said earlier) so your dog believes in one god too?

Shoo fly
Well since you really care so much about what my dog believes, I'll ask her. Aarf, Arf, Woof woof woof. Aooooooh. Yep, from what I can tell she still believes in the Spirit of Love. Good girl.

I think your dog is smarter than you are.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2013, 05:10 PM
(15-04-2013 04:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm sorry, but I don't think I get your point. Are animals theistic? Well I suppose some are. I know my dog is. She seems to know when I'm hurting.

(15-04-2013 04:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  No, I said my dog believes in empathy. Read the record. Please excuse the semantics since I can't say she ever did not believe in empathy\God. How shall I say, she trusts\believes in empathy, she is moved by empathy, she exhibits empathy. Certainly you don't think I was suggesting she took a course in theology or studied the matter of the term God.

(15-04-2013 04:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well since you really care so much about what my dog believes, I'll ask her. Aarf, Arf, Woof woof woof. Aooooooh. Yep, from what I can tell she still believes in the Spirit of Love. Good girl.

You were saying?
Yes I was saying, my dog knows when I'm hurting. Read it above. No, I did not say she studied religion or has an opinion on God. Again theistic means to believe in God. So it would be contrary to sound reasoning that she doesn't believe in empathy when she lives it.
15-04-2013, 05:13 PM
(15-04-2013 05:03 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 04:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Look I understand how you feel. You had this grand argument planned out, maybe you even talked it out with a like minded friend or two and couldn't see any flaws in your premis. Then you enter the lair of the beast and your argument is shot down not once but a dozen times over and your reeling looking for anything to hold onto against the onslaught so that now you are actually trying to argue that YOUR DOG HAS AN OPINION ON GOD!!! This is the sign of a weak argument and maybe the best thing you can do is stop and rethink your position because as it stands now you are just going to have to retreat further and further down the rabbit hole.
I'm sorry, but none of what you assert here is true as the record shows. I didn't come here counting you or anyone else here a beast. Nor have I claimed my dog had an opinion on anything. When I was talking to my dog, that was just making lite humor of your reaction to my claim that my dog has feelings characterized as empathy. It would be indeed a poor argument to make that God exists because my dog said so.

Do I need to go back and quote you again? I was giving you an out, a way to back away and save some face but you decided to keep going so that is the last olive branch you will probably be getting.

Quote: As such I stand by my statement that my dog believes\trusts in God.

This is a new one for me Argument from Dog. So far your entire laughable argument has been God=Love/empathy with nothing to back that up and plenty to refute it. You claim that this must be so because you had a conversation with yourself which either means you're hearing voices or , more likely, you have a conscience that was instilled into you by your parents and society as a whole. You have a horrible grasp of the english language and the short term memory of a goldfish if you expect us to believe that you can't remember what you said 4 posts ago. William Lane Craig you are not, so please go do your research and come back when you can actually back up a single stance you take.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Hey! Anyone remember those stupid quests on World Of Warcraft where a character asks that you get them a book that's in the fucking room with them? Yeah, childeye is reminding me of that...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
15-04-2013, 05:26 PM
(15-04-2013 05:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 04:53 PM)childeye Wrote:  I only know that Love is a moral imperatuve that is experienced in life. I witness to this as a fact of life. Hence since all morality is centered upon compassion for others it is clear to me that any referance to God in scripture as that which is good in mankind is the point of this thread. Certainly you can claim god is something else, a religious invention for the sake of controlling peoples minds. But to those who believe God exists as the Eternal Spirit of Love, that is seen as an ignorance of the true meaning of the term. I have no aversion to being controlled by Love, I welcome it.

Love exists in people and other animals.
No gods are required to explain it, no gods are required to acknowledge it, no gods are required to experience it.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is the term god\gods which seems to draw a negative response here. The term God however is just a word. The fact that such a Spirit exists is a reality no matter what you call it. More pressing a matter is whether this Love I am refering to is a Person, an intellect. I have only my personal relationship to witness with pertaining to this. I have given one example such as the episode with my conscience. No one here has adequately explained how I had a conversation with myself that bested myself. There is a Truth that won out in my moral reasoning and brought what I call Light into my heart where there was darkness. That happened, and I suspect you have had similar experiences. What makes us who we are is very much what we believe to be true. You all have your truth you believe, you just refuse to admit that this truth is your god, that which rules over your moral choices.
15-04-2013, 05:30 PM
(15-04-2013 04:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 04:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hold on, I thought it was Empathy, not love...
Please read post #6.

Okay...?

(15-04-2013 10:34 AM)childeye Wrote:  I consider the term God as a moral absolute. For example it would be synonymous to a moral Truth founded on the spiritual existence of Love or empathy. My reasons for not believing in religion are because I view religion as mankinds varying images of god but not necessarily thee God. But as a moral absolute, I therefore must believe everyone has some image of god.

You can count me, and likely several thousand others out of your belief, in such a case.

I do not consider moral absolutes possible, due to the moral habit of bending and twisting depending on the situation, every moral is malleable. I have no 'image' of any god, aside from possibly one entitled "Ridiculous & Unnecessary".

Not to mention the fact that it is possible for people to be unable to feel emotions such as empathy or love, which leads to the conclusion that they are not 'absolute' emotions, ingrained in all humans (at the very least).

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-04-2013, 05:30 PM
(15-04-2013 05:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Love exists in people and other animals.
No gods are required to explain it, no gods are required to acknowledge it, no gods are required to experience it.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is the term god\gods which seems to draw a negative response here. The term God however is just a word. The fact that such a Spirit exists is a reality no matter what you call it. More pressing a matter is whether this Love I am refering to is a Person, an intellect. I have only my personal relationship to witness with pertaining to this. I have given one example such as the episode with my conscience. No one here has adequately explained how I had a conversation with myself that bested myself. There is a Truth that won out in my moral reasoning and brought what I call Light into my heart where there was darkness. That happened, and I suspect you have had similar experiences. What makes us who we are is very much what we believe to be true. You all have your truth you believe, you just refuse to admit that this truth is your god, that which rules over your moral choices.

There is no evidence of a 'Spirit' that exists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-04-2013, 05:36 PM
(15-04-2013 05:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 04:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well since you really care so much about what my dog believes, I'll ask her. Aarf, Arf, Woof woof woof. Aooooooh. Yep, from what I can tell she still believes in the Spirit of Love. Good girl.

I think your dog is smarter than you are.

Shoo fly
You don't have to be smart to believe in Love. Little children believe. And I dare say so do you. You just don't like calling love God, for whatever reason.
15-04-2013, 05:41 PM
(15-04-2013 05:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is the term god\gods which seems to draw a negative response here. The term God however is just a word. The fact that such a Spirit exists is a reality no matter what you call it. More pressing a matter is whether this Love I am refering to is a Person, an intellect. I have only my personal relationship to witness with pertaining to this. I have given one example such as the episode with my conscience. No one here has adequately explained how I had a conversation with myself that bested myself. There is a Truth that won out in my moral reasoning and brought what I call Light into my heart where there was darkness. That happened, and I suspect you have had similar experiences. What makes us who we are is very much what we believe to be true. You all have your truth you believe, you just refuse to admit that this truth is your god, that which rules over your moral choices.

There is no evidence of a 'Spirit' that exists.
So you never have cried at a sad movie? Never felt sorrow for the homeless? Never hugged or been hugged? Never felt anger or had your heart broken? Call it what you like, Love exists.

Definition ofspirit

noun

1the non-physical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul:
15-04-2013, 05:49 PM
(15-04-2013 05:41 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of a 'Spirit' that exists.
So you never have cried at a sad movie? Never felt sorrow for the homeless? Never hugged or been hugged? Never felt anger or had your heart broken? Call it what you like, Love exists.

Definition ofspirit

noun

1the non-physical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul:

spirĀ·it (sprt)
n.
a. The vital principle or animating force within living beings.
b. Incorporeal consciousness.
2. The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.
3. Spirit The Holy Spirit.
4. A supernatural being, as:
a. An angel or a demon.
b. A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
c. A fairy or sprite.
a. The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit.
b. The essential nature of a person or group.
6. A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.
a. An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: Her actions show a generous spirit.
b. A causative, activating, or essential principle: The couple's engagement was announced in a joyous spirit.
8. spirits A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. His sour spirits put a damper on the gathering.
9. A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: sang with spirit.
10. Strong loyalty or dedication: team spirit.
11. The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: "The spirit of 1776 is not dead" (Thomas Jefferson).
12. The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law.
13. An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
14. spirits An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

I like #14, 'cause it can affect emotions. Sometimes it makes me feel those things you mentioned above.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post