the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: the God term
(04-05-2013 10:09 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:03 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Care Bear Stare!

[Image: tumblr_m759bnmRUv1r1kqvco1_500.png]
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_Bears

Yup...

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Love bump?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-05-2013, 10:26 PM
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
04-05-2013, 10:29 PM
(04-05-2013 10:10 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Theists are still feeling bad about that tree of knowledge thing... They're still doing their best to give it ALL back.
I cannot speak for all theists. I see no going back, only forward.
04-05-2013, 10:31 PM
(04-05-2013 10:29 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:10 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Theists are still feeling bad about that tree of knowledge thing... They're still doing their best to give it ALL back.
I cannot speak for all theists. I see no going back, only forward.

If you had to choose between prayer or a doctor, which one would you choose?

-Baron d'Holbach-
04-05-2013, 10:33 PM
(04-05-2013 10:28 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  No it takes cynicism to not get what I meant. For instance above you say I used a Capital T on Truth. Generally speaking I use that to mean it is solid and absolute. In this case you were saying that I have been saying the same thing the entire thread which is absolutely True. It is not just my subjective view however, since most everyone has agreed that I indeed am saying the same thing.

I would beg to differ. I do not feel I am arguing in vain at all. I am not obtuse when it comes to atheism. I am a complete 180 degrees. I do seek a peek inside the mind of the atheist and I have been well rewarded. It has not been in vain by any means. However since you are not the first to say that I ignore anything you offer, I am obliged to respect your sincere assessment lest I be a hypocrite. Therefore, by all means, what do you believe I have ignored? What do you offer?

Dear Care Bear Jesus, your kind of love hurts. Please stop.

Signed the rest of the world.
I'm sorry. I sometimes cannot tell if you are joking or serious. You seem to be taking the pure Love of Jesus and then saying it hurts. Of course to watch any suffering such as his does indeed hurt.
04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
(04-05-2013 10:31 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:29 PM)childeye Wrote:  I cannot speak for all theists. I see no going back, only forward.

If you had to choose between prayer or a doctor, which one would you choose?
You seem to be asking me whether I would give up on prayer as a hope of healing and instead be healed by a doctor.
A trick question with a false premise. I've prayed many times for a good doctor.
04-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Quote:Therefore, by all means, what do you believe I have ignored? What do you offer?

What have you ignored? Everything we have tried to say to you for going on damn near 200 pages of circular argument that has achieved exactly zilch for either party. Any time an argument of any worth has been presented, the standard reply from you has been, "hmmm, I haven't looked into that, forgive me for not understanding what you mean".

Honest? Sure.

Intellectually honest? Not in the least. Your refusal to even feign interest in who, why, what, and how we come by our position makes it useless to even try to go into any detail, because it's rather obvious that you have no intention of actually thinking about any of it seriously. You have made up your mind that you'd rather put your "love blinders" on and happily go about the rest of your life believing that you're right.

So be it, but it doesn't make anything you've said any more true. I offer a chance to look at the world as it is. Let the evidence speak for itself. If you want to talk about theology, we can, but it has to be honest. I believe it has been demonstrated that it is equally as easy to portray any creator of this universe to be malevolent as it is to posit him as loving.

It's just that easy, because it's all made up in the first place.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
04-05-2013, 10:44 PM
(04-05-2013 10:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 10:31 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If you had to choose between prayer or a doctor, which one would you choose?
You seem to be asking me whether I would give up on prayer as a hope of healing and instead be healed by a doctor.
A trick question with a false premise. I've prayed many times for a good doctor.

Assuming that talking to yourself (praying) actually works (an assumption for which there is no evidence), why would you pray for a good doctor rather than simple magical healing?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post