the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: the God term
If Christians wanted to be more Christ like, they would be Jews.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
05-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote:We all need one Truth that all men can agree upon in earnest and not as a superstition.

Quote:To declare God taboo is only politicizing god once again.

No one is declaring god taboo, only that he's not very likely to exist.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-05-2013, 01:15 PM
(05-05-2013 01:05 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If Christians wanted to be more Christ like, they would be Jews.
Respectfully, Christ is food for the whole world. The book of Isaiah predicted that the Christ was to be a Light to the nations. We see the fulfillment of this in th New Covenant. Isaiah was correct. This is twenty twenty hindsight. Judaism is over. It has served it's purpose.
05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
(05-05-2013 01:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote:We all need one Truth that all men can agree upon in earnest and not as a superstition.

Quote:To declare God taboo is only politicizing god once again.

Well He certainly and factually does not exist if God is defined as superstition.
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
(05-05-2013 01:17 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 01:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Well He certainly and factually does not exist if God is defined as superstition.

Huh? Blink

Read that back to yourself and I'll let you try to figure out what's wrong with that statement.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
05-05-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 01:51 PM by childeye.)
(05-05-2013 01:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 01:17 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well He certainly and factually does not exist if God is defined as superstition.

Huh? Blink

Read that back to yourself and I'll let you try to figure out what's wrong with that statement.
I see nothing wrong. You said: "only that he's not very likely to exist".
I countered saying He factually doesn't exist if God is defined as superstition.
Either He is superstition and he does not exist or He is not very likely to exist and He is only most likely superstition.
My point is I cannot deal forthrightly with this strawman that equates God with superstition wholesale when convenient, and then claims we are not politicizing God as superstition.
05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
(05-05-2013 01:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 01:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Huh? Blink

I see nothing wrong. You said: "only that he's not very likely to exist".
I countered saying He factually doesn't exist if God is defined as superstition.
Either He is superstition and he does not exist or He is not very likely to exist and He is only most likely superstition.
My point is I cannot deal forthrightly with this strawman that equates God with superstition wholesale when convenient, and then claims we are not politicizing God as superstition.

That was my bad, I didn't catch the "not" in your original statement, making it sound like you said he exists if defined as superstition. Time to visit the eye doc. Blush

That being said, equating god with superstition only seems to be a strawman to the person with the presupposition of god's existence as a fact. You yourself have admitted that it would be impossible to empirically prove god's existence, therefore god is merely a belief, or superstition.

You claim that love has been scientifically proven to exist. Okay, I can dig that. But every single person on the planet will experience and interpret that emotion in a different manner. Because emotion is subjective, not absolute. No matter how many times you will claim to know the Truth and and be a True christian and know the True God, your experience and your opinion is subjective, not absolute.

And that's just a fact, jack.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
05-05-2013, 02:55 PM
05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
And round the circle we go........Weeping

~ Umberto Eco
05-05-2013, 04:22 PM
(05-05-2013 10:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 10:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Did your *loving* god "see the needs" of the millions of children who starved to death, and died of cancers during the last few years ?
You are hilarious, and the most selfish self-centered person on the face of the Earth.
You and your Jebus, indeed.
Big Grin

I'm sure he'll choose to ignore it or offer some inane idea that most apologists offer..

He did ignore it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche