the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: the God term
Did that show up? Not sure if I did it right.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Zanzabar

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-05-2013, 10:57 PM
(05-05-2013 10:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Did that show up? Not sure if I did it right.

If you mean your pic all I see is a broken link.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-05-2013, 11:00 PM
(05-05-2013 10:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 10:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Did that show up? Not sure if I did it right.

If you mean your pic all I see is a broken link.

Shit, how do I post a pic from my email? The only option the insert pic deal gives me is to put in a url.

~ Umberto Eco
05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
[Image: ?ui=2&ik=a76ed7e21c&view...amp;amp;zw]

That work?

~ Umberto Eco
05-05-2013, 11:03 PM
(05-05-2013 11:01 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  [Image: ?ui=2&ik=a76ed7e21c&view...amp;amp;zw]

That work?

You can upload it as an attachment or post it to a site like photobucket.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-05-2013, 11:07 PM
[Image: Qi733Jn.png]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
05-05-2013, 11:12 PM
[Image: orange_zps26c16a43.jpg?t=1367817106]

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
05-05-2013, 11:18 PM
(05-05-2013 11:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  [Image: orange_zps26c16a43.jpg?t=1367817106]

Cute cat but you dropped your dinner on him.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
05-05-2013, 11:26 PM
(05-05-2013 12:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 11:25 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 11:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  A fair question. For me personally, I imagine that God sees my needs and deals with them as He sees fit. It seems to me to be a doubtful attitude that would ask God to do things He obviously has already seen as if He is blind to them. However I admit that when I pray for anything, I try to open with something like "If it seems good to you to do such and such".

If god sees your needs and deals with them in accordance with its whims, what's the point of prayer?

Prayer to me is simply conversing with God. Your question is difficult to answer since I feel utterly dependent upon his grace wherein I am in need of it constantly. I am certain that I would not even recognize the need for His grace without His grace.

You wording here makes you sound like an addict. Going by your statement, you have developed a dependency on "grace", you speak almost as though you think you would go into withdrawal if you did not pray. As interesting the study of prayer withdrawal symptoms would be, it would be little more than another study into psychosomatic effects of withdrawal relief from a fake drug.

(04-05-2013 11:25 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Did your god miss something important? That doesn't seem all that deity-like. Did it simply ignore the issue? Hardly a loving deity.

I would imagine that God doesn't miss anything. I know of no issue He has ignored, nor do I think it wise to consider if He has or not. Doubt in His Character is a never ending torment.

Being born into starvation and desolation and dying in the same would surely seem like unending torture to those thousands afflicted by such a fate.
Doubting a character in a storybook is merely a sign of critical thought and examination. Surely you do not take a character in a novel on that characters word alone, nor would you take a man describing himself on his own word without question, surely?

(04-05-2013 11:25 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Or is it that you are attempting to put yourself in the drivers seat and relegate god to the all-powerful Navcom? I mean, if your god follows the same traits as pretty much all the others and is pretty much all knowing and powerful, one would assume It has already set every single quark in its course. Which makes it seem that you are attempting to presume to tell god how to do Its job. That's a fairly arrogant approach to deities.

I feel obliged to remark that all of this supposition is founded on a presumption to begin with. Having said that, it is possible that God is my navcom and I am in the drivers seat and yet that does not preclude the possibility that every quark is doing as it should.

And your religion is not based on the presumption that a god exists? Regardless. If god did set all things in motion as per some sort of plan (considering It knows everything before hand anyway), you can hardly say you are the driver, more of a puppet, thinking itself to be the driver when it is in fact the driven, as per a schedule.

But of course, I freely admit my statement base based off a presumption based itself from generalisation. But can you blame me for creating a logical sequence of deity --> all powerful/knowing --> pre-arranged. It is the only logically consistent thing for a god to be; all powerful and thus controlling everything. If it is ineffectual why call it god? Then again, either way you go regarding pre-arrangement, you cannot escape the conclusion that god, whether all things are set out by It, or they go off on their own and It just watches; God is evil. Unless of course it is powerless, but now we have hit a circle.

(04-05-2013 11:25 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Then again, assuming a deity carters to your needs is also an arrogant assumption.

Not at all. I feel gratitude and see it as quite humbling, similar to knowing my parents catered to my needs. Much more the Love that does such things within us. And here is where I must respcetfully ask if you are aware that your reasoning has ended with an assessment that for me is you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't?

When it comes to religions, you are damned if you do or don't, considering they all damn each other to hells eternal and they all have the same level of credibility and supporting evidence. It doesn't matter who is right, if any of them are, as the likelihood of you getting it right is slim to none and hell fire awaits you. But if your are all wrong, well what's the harm, eh?

And I hardly see your comparison between expecting your parents to cater for you and that of a deity to do so. You parents should by all rights and reasons cater to you, within reasonable bounds that is.
But a deity is something different entirely: You are worth it's time? A deity responsible assumably for the creation and maintenance of the universe and a human being thinks it is worth such a Thing's time, of all the things in the universe? Lets not even get into the "we were specially created by god" rhetoric. After all, we humans are completely insignificant, hardly anything to warrant the attentions of a being able of the creation of a universe (as per the term "god" would imply).

Tell me when our species can do things on massive scales aside from kill each other, then I might think we would warrant some kind of notice.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post