the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 05:56 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 05:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think your dog is smarter than you are.

Shoo fly
You don't have to be smart to believe in Love. Little children believe. And I dare say so do you. You just don't like calling love God, for whatever reason.

Little kids also "believe" in Santa the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. Love/hate are taught. They are learned behavior. You are taught what love or hate is, it's not an innate emotion.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 05:57 PM
(15-04-2013 05:49 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:41 PM)childeye Wrote:  So you never have cried at a sad movie? Never felt sorrow for the homeless? Never hugged or been hugged? Never felt anger or had your heart broken? Call it what you like, Love exists.

Definition ofspirit

noun

1the non-physical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul:

spir·it (sprt)
n.
a. The vital principle or animating force within living beings.
b. Incorporeal consciousness.
2. The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.
3. Spirit The Holy Spirit.
4. A supernatural being, as:
a. An angel or a demon.
b. A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
c. A fairy or sprite.
a. The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit.
b. The essential nature of a person or group.
6. A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.
a. An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: Her actions show a generous spirit.
b. A causative, activating, or essential principle: The couple's engagement was announced in a joyous spirit.
8. spirits A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. His sour spirits put a damper on the gathering.
9. A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: sang with spirit.
10. Strong loyalty or dedication: team spirit.
11. The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: "The spirit of 1776 is not dead" (Thomas Jefferson).
12. The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law.
13. An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
14. spirits An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

I like #14, 'cause it can affect emotions. Sometimes it makes me feel those things you mentioned above.

This has been one of the more dishonest theists I've ever had the misfortune of debating. Even worse considering it is in written form so anyone can pull his exat words out when he denies he said them.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-04-2013, 06:20 PM
(15-04-2013 05:30 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I do not consider moral absolutes possible, due to the moral habit of bending and twisting depending on the situation, every moral is malleable. I have no 'image' of any god, aside from possibly one entitled "Ridiculous & Unnecessary".
I would not contend that morality is not malleable. Mercy and understanding itself is the mitigating of offenses. But if you mean by malleable, twisting moral values to serve injustice wherein thieves become those who dispense justice, then that is not morality. Such a scenario would be properly termed immorality.

As pertains to you saying you have no image of god. I don't see how you could, since you do not recognize the term to mean anything other than perhaps ridiculous and innecessary. My definition of God is Love, compassion, empathy. I do not see how Love is ridiculous or unnecessary.
Quote:Not to mention the fact that it is possible for people to be unable to feel emotions such as empathy or love, which leads to the conclusion that they are not 'absolute' emotions, ingrained in all humans (at the very least).

I won't argue with the proposition that some people may not be able to feel emotions. That does not preclude the existence of a moral imperative. They still will make decisions that will affect others regardless.

Here are the facts. You will make moral choices in your life. Consequently there is some sort of belief you will base your moral judgment upon. I am not saying there are moral absolutes. I'm saying there is in reality one moral absolute, called Love\God.
15-04-2013, 06:21 PM
(15-04-2013 05:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:49 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  spir·it (sprt)
n.
a. An angel or a demon.
b. A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
c. A fairy or sprite.
a. The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit.
a. An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: Her actions show a generous spirit.
b. A causative, activating, or essential principle: The couple's engagement was announced in a joyous spirit.
8. spirits A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. His sour spirits put a damper on the gathering.
9. A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: sang with spirit.
11. The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: "The spirit of 1776 is not dead" (Thomas Jefferson).
12. The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law.
13. An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.

I like #14, 'cause it can affect emotions. Sometimes it makes me feel those things you mentioned above.

This has been one of the more dishonest theists I've ever had the misfortune of debating. Even worse considering it is in written form so anyone can pull his exat words out when he denies he said them.

I called Poe first!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 06:21 PM
(15-04-2013 05:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Little kids also "believe" in Santa the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. Love/hate are taught. They are learned behavior. You are taught what love or hate is, it's not an innate emotion.

Shoo fly
Well well... go see post # 180...

Nah, I'll not be an ass. Here it is:

Quote:4. A supernatural being, as:
a. An angel or a demon.
c. A fairy or sprite.

It all makes sense now. Yes

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
15-04-2013, 06:22 PM
n.
a. An angel or a demon.
c. A fairy or sprite.

Where have I been dishonest? Please elaborate.
15-04-2013, 06:23 PM
n.
a. An angel or a demon.
c. A fairy or sprite.

Makes me want to play World of Warcraft. Damnit, it's not installed!! Weeping

I wouldn't count this as debating. We have a section for that.

15-04-2013, 06:30 PM
(15-04-2013 05:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  You don't have to be smart to believe in Love. Little children believe. And I dare say so do you. You just don't like calling love God, for whatever reason.

Little kids also "believe" in Santa the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. Love/hate are taught. They are learned behavior. You are taught what love or hate is, it's not an innate emotion.

Shoo fly
I believe we begin in love and that love is taken for granted. Hate usually comes from not being loved. I do agree Love is passed on and so is hate for that matter. That is why I believe Jesus taught that the children of God would return good for evil. I'm not sure what you mean by not being innate therefore. When I see a puppy, I want to pet it, not kill it.
15-04-2013, 06:33 PM
(15-04-2013 06:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This has been one of the more dishonest theists I've ever had the misfortune of debating. Even worse considering it is in written form so anyone can pull his exat words out when he denies he said them.

I called Poe first!
What's a Poe?
15-04-2013, 06:36 PM
(15-04-2013 06:33 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I called Poe first!
What's a Poe?
You don't know what a Poe is?

Google "Poe definition". If you can google "spirit" you can google that no problem. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post