the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 07:36 PM
RE: the God term
(06-05-2013 07:25 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 04:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  Consequently I am extremely grateful for a Judge that exists in my reasoning, that is a True and higher moral righteousness than my own. This gives me the beautiful gift of humility which prepares in me a pure and sincere honesty. And it is a wonderful place to be in, a cleansing of the conscience without any fear of who I am, because He is my Maker, and I trust Him more than myself. All I need do is be honest and let my Lord fix me that my mind not be nothing but vain thoughts and my words stupidity.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that without the belief in your deity this would necessarily be the result?
Yes, I am saying that I believe there is a Light that gives me sight into my own hypocrisy. It is not just a belief, it is Love.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 07:38 PM
bump bump bump
06-05-2013, 07:38 PM
(06-05-2013 07:09 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And we've told you that we also judge love as goodness. Point taken. I'm not sure where you think that any of us have been hypocritical in any way.
I've said where you have been hypocritical. You don't believe God is Love when Love is God to everyone, as in Thee only True God that can live in all men, Love.

And.....we've told you that all of what you've just said is nonsensical gibberish. I'm glad it puts your mind at ease, but to claim that I'm a hypocrite because I don't subscribe to your way of thinking is just stupid. No

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-05-2013, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 07:51 PM by childeye.)
(06-05-2013 07:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:09 PM)childeye Wrote:  I've said where you have been hypocritical. You don't believe God is Love when Love is God to everyone, as in Thee only True God that can live in all men, Love.

And.....we've told you that all of what you've just said is nonsensical gibberish. I'm glad it puts your mind at ease, but to claim that I'm a hypocrite because I don't subscribe to your way of thinking is just stupid. No
But you do subscribe to my way of thinking even when you judge that Love is good. Your hypocrisy is built upon the fact that you don't even see that we already agree that we agree. You simply have a prejudice against the term God because of religion. Yes
06-05-2013, 07:50 PM
the God term
(06-05-2013 07:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:25 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I'm sorry, are you suggesting that without the belief in your deity this would necessarily be the result?
Yes, I am saying that I believe there is a Light that gives me sight into my own hypocrisy. It is not just a belief, it is Love.

So, you believe that in the absence of this Light your words would be vain and stupid? Or you believe this is true for all people?
06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
(06-05-2013 07:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If we cannot judge others then by what right do we have laws?
Jesus said, Even though I judge, I judge righteously. That is, without hypocrisy. As Jesus correctly surmised and proclaimed, that laws were meant to serve men and not men serve the law. Therefore by the right of Love we are supposed to have laws that serve the common Good for all men. But the ways of this world are not by faith and the system of law is corrupt with judges that don't even do as they expect others to do. Jesus himself was crucified according to the law by people unfit to administer proper judgment. Where upon he forgave all because of mankinds blindness to our hypocrisy, saying forgive them Father for they know not what they do.

So we have the right to judge people then?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
(06-05-2013 07:50 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes, I am saying that I believe there is a Light that gives me sight into my own hypocrisy. It is not just a belief, it is Love.

So, you believe that in the absence of this Light your words would be vain and stupid? Or you believe this is true for all people?
Yes my words would be spoken out of ignorance without Truth even as I can look back and see my prior ignorance from when I was young to now when I am old. I have said many vain and stupid things. I would say that is probably true for every person.
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
(06-05-2013 07:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And.....we've told you that all of what you've just said is nonsensical gibberish. I'm glad it puts your mind at ease, but to claim that I'm a hypocrite because I don't subscribe to your way of thinking is just stupid. No
But you do subscribe to my way of thinking even when you judge that Love is good. Your hypocrisy is built upon the fact that you don't even see that we already agree that we agree. You simply have a prejudice against the term God because of religion.

Again, no. I agree with you that love is a good thing. I also agree with you that religion is a bad thing. What I am not saying is that religion has anything to do with god's existence.

When a clearly thought out, logical approach is made to the possibility of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent god existing (religion or no religion), the logical conclusion can easily be drawn that such a being cannot be.

If there is a higher power out there, it is in no way possible that it is what you describe.

I have no prejudice against the term god, or the possibility of god. I simply have given it a lot of thought and do not find the idea probable.

I never set out to be an atheist, in fact I set out to prove the opposite. I wanted to strengthen my faith by learning more about what I believed. I had more prejudice against atheism when I started studying than you think I do against the god term now. I simply have to be intellectually honest with myself at the end of the day, and atheism is my logical conclusion. I find no hypocrisy in my position.

I find it hypocritical of you to make truth claims without giving evidence that doesn't consist of you spouting philosophical nonsense.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
06-05-2013, 07:58 PM
(06-05-2013 07:54 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  Jesus said, Even though I judge, I judge righteously. That is, without hypocrisy. As Jesus correctly surmised and proclaimed, that laws were meant to serve men and not men serve the law. Therefore by the right of Love we are supposed to have laws that serve the common Good for all men. But the ways of this world are not by faith and the system of law is corrupt with judges that don't even do as they expect others to do. Jesus himself was crucified according to the law by people unfit to administer proper judgment. Where upon he forgave all because of mankinds blindness to our hypocrisy, saying forgive them Father for they know not what they do.

So we have the right to judge people then?
Indeed we must judge people and to address hypocritical judgment the people we must judge is ourselves. For whatever measure of judgment we use for others, the same measure must be used against us. The merciful will receive mercy. Honesty and humility will see the Truth.
06-05-2013, 08:03 PM
(06-05-2013 07:58 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:54 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  So we have the right to judge people then?
Indeed we must judge people and to address hypocritical judgment the people we must judge is ourselves. For whatever measure of judgment we use for others, the same measure must be used against us. The merciful will receive mercy. Honesty and humility will see the Truth.

I'm starting to think you are lovingly insane.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post