the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 06:36 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 06:30 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Little kids also "believe" in Santa the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. Love/hate are taught. They are learned behavior. You are taught what love or hate is, it's not an innate emotion.

Shoo fly
I believe we begin in love and that love is taken for granted. Hate usually comes from not being loved. I do agree Love is passed on and so is hate for that matter. That is why I believe Jesus taught that the children of God would return good for evil. I'm not sure what you mean by not being innate therefore. When I see a puppy, I want to pet it, not kill it.

What do you do when you see a cockroach in your kitchen? I'm willing to bet you'd kill it.

You were taught to love...you were taught about jesus...

It's not innate knowledge to anyone.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 06:37 PM
(15-04-2013 06:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 05:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This has been one of the more dishonest theists I've ever had the misfortune of debating. Even worse considering it is in written form so anyone can pull his exat words out when he denies he said them.

I called Poe first!

Yep KC you sure did!

Kudos for you, kudos.

15-04-2013, 06:45 PM
(15-04-2013 06:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:30 PM)childeye Wrote:  I believe we begin in love and that love is taken for granted. Hate usually comes from not being loved. I do agree Love is passed on and so is hate for that matter. That is why I believe Jesus taught that the children of God would return good for evil. I'm not sure what you mean by not being innate therefore. When I see a puppy, I want to pet it, not kill it.

What do you do when you see a cockroach in your kitchen? I'm willing to bet you'd kill it.

I was taught about Jesus in that I heard the Gospel. Yes I would kill the cockroach. That really says nothing about how I treat my fellow human beings. If Love is not innate in some way, then why do women nurse their babies?
15-04-2013, 06:46 PM
(15-04-2013 06:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I called Poe first!

Yep KC you sure did!

Kudos for you, kudos.

Ya know it's like that show "It takes a thief" our resident theist nailed his argument almost immediately.

Coming this fall to a forum near you "It takes a Theist" starting Kingschosen.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-04-2013, 06:47 PM
(15-04-2013 06:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  What do you do when you see a cockroach in your kitchen? I'm willing to bet you'd kill it.

I was taught about Jesus in that I heard the Gospel. Yes I would kill the cockroach. That really says nothing about how I treat my fellow human beings. If Love is not innate in some way, then why do women nurse their babies?

Of course love is innate. We evolved to care for the young because that has survival value.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 06:58 PM
(15-04-2013 06:36 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:33 PM)childeye Wrote:  What's a Poe?
You don't know what a Poe is?

Google "Poe definition". If you can google "spirit" you can google that no problem. Thumbsup
So I googled "Poe definition". There are many differing definitions. Personally, I don't see how the term is being applied to me. Why don't you just say what you mean by it?
15-04-2013, 07:03 PM
(15-04-2013 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  I was taught about Jesus in that I heard the Gospel. Yes I would kill the cockroach. That really says nothing about how I treat my fellow human beings. If Love is not innate in some way, then why do women nurse their babies?

Of course love is innate. We evolved to care for the young because that has survival value.

Love isn't innate, survival instinct is. The mother will likely feel "love" for baby, but really all the baby knows is that its needs are being met. Babies do require touch, rocking, food, clean diapers, but love isn't really required. Babies will suffer from failure to thrive, when some of their needs are met, but others are neglected.

Just like telling a baby they are loved, and neglecting their needs (food, rocking) will likely end the baby's life.

There are only a few "prime" emotions that are innate. All the rest, like love and hate, are taught through a parental figure or through experience. They are secondary (taught emotions).

15-04-2013, 07:08 PM
(15-04-2013 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  I was taught about Jesus in that I heard the Gospel. Yes I would kill the cockroach. That really says nothing about how I treat my fellow human beings. If Love is not innate in some way, then why do women nurse their babies?

The problem is that the theory that Love evolved would be counter to logic, since it would be a required predisposition.
15-04-2013, 07:12 PM
"I will define 'god' as 'love', just so I can continue to believe god exists. And if science disproves the existence of love, or worse, explains it... I will redefine god as a fridge, or something else I'm fond of but don't understand the workings of..."
[+] 5 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
15-04-2013, 07:15 PM
(15-04-2013 07:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Of course love is innate. We evolved to care for the young because that has survival value.
The problem is that the theory that Love evolved would be counter to logic, since it would be a required predisposition.

I can see those are words in the English language, but the sentence makes no sense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user