the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 07:39 PM
RE: the God term
(07-05-2013 09:30 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But there's a lot of money tied to belief. They would rather believe that god created the universe in a huge galactic fart than see the truth, which is elegant and wondrous.

Fixt: removed the word equally

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
(07-05-2013 03:54 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 03:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  Oy vey, we find words Tongue

Here are a couple that seem to fit: meshungina, schmendrick, schlemiel, pashkudenyak. To name but a few.

But mostly: tsu tillas gescheften.

Drinking Beverage

Would you believe that Google Translate has no idea what these mean? The last one transated to having something to do with tortillas? Laughat

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Holy christ on a swizzle stick, took me a minute to catch up.

Passed 200, congrats everybody! Clap

childeye, I would like for you to objectively define what the word truth means to you to the best of your ability.

Do not include references to god or love, I mean simply what is the basic definition of the word truth in and of itself?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Also, I feel obligated to give my opinion on the word "cunt", since the subject arose.

I myself do not care for the word being used, unless said by someone with an Australian or New Zealand accent. For some reason it's fucking hilarious to hear them use it.

That is all, resume thread.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
07-05-2013, 08:45 PM
(07-05-2013 07:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 06:20 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  One, you can't define a god as a human emotion. It's meaningless to do that.
1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

I didn't make this up.

I love my son.
I experience the human emotion of love, caring and empathy in his presence and when he's far away. We share our lives together and we have the bond of father & son.

I will repeat this.

A god is NOT a human emotion.

A tree is NOT anger
A pig is NOT fear
There is no god
Now get me another beer

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
(07-05-2013 08:50 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  

fucking awesome, I watched this just the other day, and he is exactly who I had in mind when I posted that! Banana_zorro

~ Umberto Eco
07-05-2013, 09:38 PM
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?

Wow 200+ page thread. No way I'm reading all of that in one sitting, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway.

God to me, is basically Santa for grown ups. The ultimate spiritual being (or a member of a group of such) with powers beyond that of natural capability. It changes from religion to religion, and even then that doesn't cover every variation of the concept. It is a thinking (usually) superior metaphysical entity, who's only real existence resides completely in wishful thinking.

I'm sure that only scratches the surface, but that's essentially how I, as an atheist, define the term "god" in a general sense.

07-05-2013, 10:05 PM
(07-05-2013 09:38 PM)KMFDM_Kid2000 Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?

Wow 200+ page thread. No way I'm reading all of that in one sitting, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway.

God to me, is basically Santa for grown ups. The ultimate spiritual being (or a member of a group of such) with powers beyond that of natural capability. It changes from religion to religion, and even then that doesn't cover every variation of the concept. It is a thinking (usually) superior metaphysical entity, who's only real existence resides completely in wishful thinking.

I'm sure that only scratches three surface, but that's essentially how I, as an atheist, define the term "god" in a general sense.

In 200 pages, that's about all we've gotten from childeye.

~ Umberto Eco
07-05-2013, 11:29 PM
(07-05-2013 07:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 09:30 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But there's a lot of money tied to belief. They would rather believe that god created the universe in a huge galactic fart than see the truth, which is elegant and wondrous.

Fixt: removed the word equally

Sigh. Thanks! It should have read "actually' elegant and wondrous".

There is nothing elegant about a diety farting to create the cosmos.

I edited it. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon