the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 12:00 AM
RE: the God term
Ce,

It won't be last time any of this say this. Your argument is completely redundant. You've stated your case and no one where has accepted it at all. This discussion is completely circular. Eveyrhing you've presented has at best been fallacious and at worst completely disingenuous. You just want to keep saying god is love because the world is full of christians and its a ridiculous assumption.

As our knowledge of the universe and it's beginnings expands, god will be rendered more impotent. Eventually it too will fade away just like Jupiter and Zeus.

Shoo fly, you've worn out your welcome.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-05-2013, 12:42 AM
(07-05-2013 04:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well there you have it. In your reasoning as outlined above I am either a dishonest troll, or dense.
I try to work with evidence based reasoning. I've formulated a hypothesis and so far failed to falsify it, thus giving me confidence that it's close to the truth. As opposed to, for example, getting the crap I believe from uncritical analysis of some book and stroking my ego.

Quote:Moreover I am arrogant if I see your error and probably more so if I do you the favor of pointing it out. Has it ocurred to you that some people can just be speaking honestly? Is this what atheism does to people? I seriously want to know.
Some people, apparently not you. You seem skilled in the ways of trolling though. Just leaving enough room for doubt that you might actually be sincere, but saying such outlandish drivel that one has to think not.

And it's not atheism Big Grin It's just character. Sometimes I lose the plot a bit, mainly because of debating nitwits. I've tried to quit but it's like a disease.
08-05-2013, 09:35 AM
(07-05-2013 08:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Holy christ on a swizzle stick, took me a minute to catch up.

Passed 200, congrats everybody! Clap

childeye, I would like for you to objectively define what the word truth means to you to the best of your ability.

Do not include references to god or love, I mean simply what is the basic definition of the word truth in and of itself?
I see Truth as that which is. To elaborate, Truth is that which pertains to knowledge and ignorance thereof. I try to use a capital T to denote it as an absolute. If I use a lower case t, it is more a truth as we see it depending upon our differing abilities to percieve or interpret.
08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
the God term
(08-05-2013 09:35 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 08:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Holy christ on a swizzle stick, took me a minute to catch up.

Passed 200, congrats everybody! :clap:

childeye, I would like for you to objectively define what the word truth means to you to the best of your ability.

Do not include references to god or love, I mean simply what is the basic definition of the word truth in and of itself?
I see Truth as that which is. To elaborate, Truth is that which pertains to knowledge and ignorance thereof. I try to use a capital T to denote it as an absolute. If I use a lower case t, it is more a truth as we see it depending upon our differing abilities to percieve or interpret.

How did you come to know this truth?
08-05-2013, 09:50 AM
(07-05-2013 08:45 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 07:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

I didn't make this up.

I will repeat this.
A god is NOT a human emotion.
I understand this is your personal view and interpretation. That's fine. I wanted to show you the above scripture to show that people have been believing in God as Love for millenia before you or I were born.
08-05-2013, 10:02 AM
God damn, this cunt is still going?
What a fucking dumbass.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-05-2013, 10:16 AM
(08-05-2013 09:37 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 09:35 AM)childeye Wrote:  I see Truth as that which is. To elaborate, Truth is that which pertains to knowledge and ignorance thereof. I try to use a capital T to denote it as an absolute. If I use a lower case t, it is more a truth as we see it depending upon our differing abilities to percieve or interpret.

How did you come to know this truth?
Why is it, everyone always asks me the questions? I don't mind answering, but I really would like a few of my own answered. After all, I came here to understand the Atheist and all I get is pelted on with claims that my preaching is redundant, and my arguing circular. This thread always seems to get hijacked and derailed by some cynicism wherein I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'll answer your question. I learned truth. Sometimes through experience, sometimes by observation. Sometimes by lessons, other times by research.
08-05-2013, 10:25 AM
(07-05-2013 09:38 PM)KMFDM_Kid2000 Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?

Wow 200+ page thread. No way I'm reading all of that in one sitting, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway.

God to me, is basically Santa for grown ups. The ultimate spiritual being (or a member of a group of such) with powers beyond that of natural capability. It changes from religion to religion, and even then that doesn't cover every variation of the concept. It is a thinking (usually) superior metaphysical entity, who's only real existence resides completely in wishful thinking.

I'm sure that only scratches the surface, but that's essentially how I, as an atheist, define the term "god" in a general sense.
Thank you for this response. Is it therefore safe to assume that in your opinion the term god is equal to superstition? As an Atheist do you ever step outside and take a look at yourself from a more objective view? I mean so as to see how others might see you?
08-05-2013, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 10:57 AM by childeye.)
(08-05-2013 12:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ce,

It won't be last time any of this say this. Your argument is completely redundant. You've stated your case and no one where has accepted it at all. This discussion is completely circular. Eveyrhing you've presented has at best been fallacious and at worst completely disingenuous. You just want to keep saying god is love because the world is full of christians and its a ridiculous assumption.

As our knowledge of the universe and it's beginnings expands, god will be rendered more impotent. Eventually it too will fade away just like Jupiter and Zeus.
I have honestly stated that I defined God as Love, a moral imperative. I did so because I was told that, as a theist, I would need to do so if I were to see the atheistic mind at work disseminating the proposition. All I have seen is essentially God cannot be Love, because god can only be superstition. This shows that the atheist mindset more or less revovles around this core assertion as a basis for rationale. Unless you have more to add, I would like to move on and learn how this mindset plays out in one's moral reasoning. So far I have proposed that all moral reasoning within the atheist mind would end in hypocrisy due to the conviction that God cannot be Love. It is not meant to offend anyone, just keeping it real.

Quote:Shoo fly, you've worn out your welcome.
My dear, my welcome, if ever there truly was one, left long ago.
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I cannot believe that this is still going on. childeye you are suggesting above that someone should consider how they might be viewed by another. Any thinking human tries to do this at times. Any thinking human tries to listen to direct comments made by others so as to understand how their actions or comments are understood by others. To what purpose was your statement.

You want a definition of god. I will give you one. god is a concept used in virtually an infinite number of ways to justify the actions of individuals or groups of humans. The flexibility of the concept of god while it is considered to be all knowing and all powerful and as you like to say is love, is rather proof positive that it is a human construct utilized to allow all sorts of behaviors.

Your individual concept is just that, your concept. Your individual concept (or more properly your construct) may be one of the most benign concepts of god but it is simply that, a concept. A concept used by you to justify your own actions. Other humans concept of god justifies their actions. The idea of god is a useful tool to justify an individuals actions nothing more.

I suspect others have made this case in a more complete and/or articulate manner. I made this post only to avoid suggesting to childeye that they join their god in love.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post