the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM
the God term
I'd like to say something a out stepping outside oneself for self examination. All humans do this. Whether someone does it is not as important as how successful they are at it. Be that as it may, it will never yield as much useful information as real feedback from external parties.

The mentally insane do their own form of self examination. What are the results? Self improvement? Rarely. Usually the result is self delusion, sometimes megalomania, sometimes self effacement. Why? Either the ignoring of offered feedback or a lack thereof.

How then can self examination become a reliable method of self improvement when the brain is so flawed?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 04:51 PM
RE: the God term
After 200+ pages we still have a basic disconnect God=/= love no matter how many times you say it does. A dog is not a tree. An emotion is not a creator it is created by chemicals and electricity in your brain. A wish is not a truth.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-05-2013, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 05:20 PM by childeye.)
08-05-2013, 05:46 PM
(08-05-2013 04:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 04:09 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  People who come to learn usually ask more and proclaim less, if at all.

BTW CE you might see this as *us* saying *you* must learn from *us*. Is not the case. These discussions are to learn, all of us, from *each other*. You're catching flak 'cos anytime someone expresses an opinion you're like "well you're wrong because". That's not discussion, as the Smurf said, it's preaching. And your reasons are always "God is Love", and so naturally people switch to WTF mode and start asking you questions, and then you start whining.
I appreciate the peaceable sentiment here Morondog. Thanks. If anyone perceives me coming across as whining or dismissive, please say so.
08-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Intellectually contradictory reasoning. That's what you call it, and that's what we call yours. You're convinced that you're right, and we're convinced that you're not.

I don't see a point in continuing this thread.

You have received many different views of your claims. You see them as contradictory, but it's only because no one here understands your vague philosophical claims.

You still have no valid point. You think you do, but I assure you not once in this entire thread have you made a clear, logically sound statement about god.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
(08-05-2013 04:11 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 02:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  Are you talking about before knowing Christ or after? Are you talking about moral Truth, spiritual interpretation? Carnal knowledge? Or knowledge as a whole?

Pick one.
I will pick after Christ since this thread is about the term God.
Quote:And who was there to critique your interpretations of your observations?

I sought critique from every source available. I talked to people from every walk of life, from different religions, many professors of theology. From professional psychiatrists and psychologists, astronomers and physicists, lawyers and doctors, to teenagers to little kids.

Quote: How do know your conclusions are valid?
Because of the unfailing overwhelming experience of the reality of it in my life and in others.
Quote:What manner of lessons?
Mostly revelation.

Quote:What manner of research?
Everything I could find. Books, the bible, early church writings. Other people's commentaries and testimonies. Psychology, Physics.
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
(08-05-2013 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Intellectually contradictory reasoning. That's what you call it, and that's what we call yours. You're convinced that you're right, and we're convinced that you're not.
Okay. You think my reasoning has ended up hypocritical? Please show me where.
08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
(08-05-2013 06:09 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Intellectually contradictory reasoning. That's what you call it, and that's what we call yours. You're convinced that you're right, and we're convinced that you're not.
Okay. You think my reasoning has ended up hypocritical? Please show me where.

Yup, you think god is real and is defined by love.

Now I challenge you with the same question.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Whenever you get the chance. I would really love it if you accepted:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...llenge-you

It's good to go through and argue in a manner that is professional. If you want, we can even discuss some rules for the particular exchange.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
08-05-2013, 06:37 PM
(08-05-2013 04:33 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I'd like to say something about stepping outside oneself for self examination. All humans do this.
This is what I wanted to hear. All humans construct in their mind an objective point of view of themselves. I do this everytime I make a moral decision and consider that I must do unto others as I would want done to me.

Quote:How then can self examination become a reliable method of self improvement when the brain is so flawed?
I submit it is not the brain that is flawed but that which is perceived as true is flawed. What we believe to be true influences the seat of our character.
I basically said the same thing here: It would not be implausible that mankind has a moral ability to correct his own actions or justify them in referance to an undefiled conscience. But if that mechanism were defiled, then his moral correction would be compromised accordingly and his moral reasoning would end up cynical, untrusting, and hypocritical.