the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 06:42 PM
the God term
(08-05-2013 06:29 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Whenever you get the chance. I would really love it if you accepted:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...llenge-you

It's good to go through and argue in a manner that is professional. If you want, we can even discuss some rules for the particular exchange.

I'd like to see this also. Should be much more constructive than what has transpired so far. Will this be a closed, arena style thread? Only allowing posts from you and CE?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 06:47 PM
the God term
(08-05-2013 06:37 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 04:33 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I'd like to say something about stepping outside oneself for self examination. All humans do this.
This is what I wanted to hear. All humans construct in their mind an objective point of view of themselves. I do this everytime I make a moral decision and consider that I must do unto others as I would want done to me.

Quote:How then can self examination become a reliable method of self improvement when the brain is so flawed?
I submit it is not the brain that is flawed but that which is perceived as true is flawed. What we believe to be true influences the seat of our character.
I basically said the same thing here: It would not be implausible that mankind has a moral ability to correct his own actions or justify them in referance to an undefiled conscience. But if that mechanism were defiled, then his moral correction would be compromised accordingly and his moral reasoning would end up cynical, untrusting, and hypocritical.

It still sounds to me as though you are only considering a single person's ability to morally correct oneself. Morality is a social construct, not psychological. Without feedback from others one's own self assessment can be misguided.

So far, it doesn't sound as though you place a lot of importance on others' opinions or criticisms of yourself. It sounds as though you place greater importance on your own self assessment.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: the God term
(08-05-2013 04:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  After 200+ pages we still have a basic disconnect God=/= love no matter how many times you say it does. A dog is not a tree. An emotion is not a creator it is created by chemicals and electricity in your brain. A wish is not a truth.
Actually, what you believe to be true, triggers the chemistry in your brain and provides an emotion that is accordance to that which one believes. It follows that God as Creator would have created the brain to do this. I'm not here arguing what triggered the big bang. I'm submitting that the Spirit of God is Love as proposed in the New Testament. You all pretty much already acknowledge that Love is the moral authority. To call it God is the hold up.
08-05-2013, 06:58 PM
(08-05-2013 06:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 06:29 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Whenever you get the chance. I would really love it if you accepted:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...llenge-you

It's good to go through and argue in a manner that is professional. If you want, we can even discuss some rules for the particular exchange.

I'd like to see this also. Should be much more constructive than what has transpired so far. Will this be a closed, arena style thread? Only allowing posts from you and CE?

Yup.

Aling with a more formal set up, like citing sources if your usung other people's work.

You can even make a comentary thread to post your observations and such in the TTaOT section.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
the God term
(08-05-2013 06:55 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 04:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  After 200+ pages we still have a basic disconnect God=/= love no matter how many times you say it does. A dog is not a tree. An emotion is not a creator it is created by chemicals and electricity in your brain. A wish is not a truth.
Actually, what you believe to be true, triggers the chemistry in your brain and provides an emotion that is accordance to that which one believes. It follows that God as Creator would have created the brain to do this. I'm not here arguing what triggered the big bang. I'm submitting that the Spirit of God is Love as proposed in the New Testament. You all pretty much already acknowledge that Love is the moral authority. To call it God is the hold up.

I don't think it wise for morality to be guided solely by love. There are many other social concerns to take into consideration.
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
08-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote: You all pretty much already acknowledge that Love is the moral authority. To call it God is the hold up.

The hold up to what end? Why does it have to be logical that if love exists, god must follow?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
(08-05-2013 07:06 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 06:55 PM)childeye Wrote:  Actually, what you believe to be true, triggers the chemistry in your brain and provides an emotion that is accordance to that which one believes. It follows that God as Creator would have created the brain to do this. I'm not here arguing what triggered the big bang. I'm submitting that the Spirit of God is Love as proposed in the New Testament. You all pretty much already acknowledge that Love is the moral authority. To call it God is the hold up.

I don't think it wise for morality to be guided solely by love. There are many other social concerns to take into consideration.
I'm sure you have some valid points to make about this. But ultimately they will serve Love.
08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Is God Love or is Love God? If that is what you are arguing, that the emotion Love is God, then why not simply call it Love?

God has a definition already assigned to it. It is a sentient being, superior to us humans, and usually supernatural. Power and physique may vary.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
08-05-2013, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 07:32 PM by childeye.)