the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 07:44 PM
RE: the God term
(08-05-2013 07:16 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Is God Love or is Love God? If that is what you are arguing, that the emotion Love is God, then why not simply call it Love?
Good question. Because God is a political designation as well as a Father figure in our human capacity to understand such things that we would deem higher than ourselves and therefore in some manner of regard. It supposes a power to answer to and obey or learn the hard way.

Quote:God has a definition already assigned to it. It is a sentient being, superior to us humans, and usually supernatural. Power and physique may vary.
Some of this is arguable if scripture is true. So, what about this challenge over is my God Loving? What do you propose exactly?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 07:50 PM

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-05-2013, 07:51 PM
(08-05-2013 07:13 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote: You all pretty much already acknowledge that Love is the moral authority. To call it God is the hold up.

The hold up to what end? Why does it have to be logical that if love exists, god must follow?
Great question. Suppose you meet a sincere Christian that has spent his life serving God as Love which we see in 1 John. And then you tell him God is for morons who have been brainwashed and are not free thinkers. Not a very good ending is it?
08-05-2013, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 08:07 PM by childeye.)
(08-05-2013 07:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 07:28 PM)childeye Wrote:  To be precise I said God is Love. Sefishness could be defined by Love.
Anyway How is that hypocritical?

You said your dislike of God is based on religion which you count as superstition. That is like saying you dislike God because He does not exist or the problems He causes for thinking He does. That is a contradiction in reasoning. One cannot dislike what is not even there.

Right there is your hypocritical reasoning. I don't know where you get this stuff. Read the last sentence of your post. It is exactly right, and has been stated multiple times by multiple people here.

So how again have I been hypocritical?
Okay we have a serious disconnect.
This is my last line. One cannot dislike what is not there. Yes this has been stated many times while at the same time saying that the reason they dislike God is because God is cruel. Does that rephrase help?
08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
(08-05-2013 07:51 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 07:13 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The hold up to what end? Why does it have to be logical that if love exists, god must follow?
Great question. Suppose you meet a sincere Christian that has spent his life serving God as Love which we see in 1 John. And then you tell him God is for morons who have been brainwashed and are not free thinkers. Not a very good ending is it?

You're the one that came into enemy territory knowing full well what to expect. There have been many here who have tried to converse civilly with you without insult. I admit I have not done so at times, but you carry an undertone of arrogance and backhandedness that does ruffle the feathers a bit, even if you don't mean to.

As for the bible, you have yet to provide any credible evidence that anything therein is to be believed.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
(08-05-2013 08:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 07:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Right there is your hypocritical reasoning. I don't know where you get this stuff. Read the last sentence of your post. It is exactly right, and has been stated multiple times by multiple people here.

So how again have I been hypocritical?
Okay we have a serious disconnect.
This is my last line. One cannot dislike what is not there. Yes this has been stated many times while at the same time saying that the reason they dislike God is because God is cruel. Does that rephrase help?

Not really. What is being argued by stating god is cruel is how it is illogical to claim that god is love while acknowledging his cruel acts. Again, we don't actually believe he is cruel, he doesn't exist. You are misunderstanding the argument.

~ Umberto Eco
08-05-2013, 08:18 PM
(08-05-2013 08:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 07:51 PM)childeye Wrote:  Great question. Suppose you meet a sincere Christian that has spent his life serving God as Love which we see in 1 John. And then you tell him God is for morons who have been brainwashed and are not free thinkers. Not a very good ending is it?

You're the one that came into enemy territory knowing full well what to expect. There have been many here who have tried to converse civilly with you without insult. I admit I have not done so at times, but you carry an undertone of arrogance and backhandedness that does ruffle the feathers a bit, even if you don't mean to.

As for the bible, you have yet to provide any credible evidence that anything therein is to be believed.
I'm not trying to whine or blame anyone. My point was to show the division one word can cause when misinterpreted. So you want me to give credible evidence that anything is to be believed in the bible? How about, Love one another?
08-05-2013, 08:25 PM
(08-05-2013 08:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 08:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You're the one that came into enemy territory knowing full well what to expect. There have been many here who have tried to converse civilly with you without insult. I admit I have not done so at times, but you carry an undertone of arrogance and backhandedness that does ruffle the feathers a bit, even if you don't mean to.

I'm not trying to whine or blame anyone. My point was to show the division one word can cause when misinterpreted. So you want me to give credible evidence that anything is to be believed in the bible? How about, Love one another?

We also do not boil goats in the milk of their mothers, the bible is to believed!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
(08-05-2013 08:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 08:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You're the one that came into enemy territory knowing full well what to expect. There have been many here who have tried to converse civilly with you without insult. I admit I have not done so at times, but you carry an undertone of arrogance and backhandedness that does ruffle the feathers a bit, even if you don't mean to.

It's a nice sentiment. Been around for longer than the bible has, so it's a bit unoriginal. So the OT laws commanding death for certain trivial sins are about love how?

~ Umberto Eco
08-05-2013, 08:28 PM
(08-05-2013 08:17 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 08:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  Okay we have a serious disconnect.

Not really. What is being argued by stating god is cruel is how it is illogical to claim that god is love while acknowledging his cruel acts. Again, we don't actually believe he is cruel, he doesn't exist. You are misunderstanding the argument.
Yes I get that, but it is also illogical to claim God is cruel based on scriptures you believe are myths. I claimed God is Love from personal experience not from reading scripture.