the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 10:28 PM
RE: the God term
(08-05-2013 10:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 09:53 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Nope, it can't be the product of a mind because god is love.
We may be arguing semantics here.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4N_KtND0ZxuAtRGiuycJ...hEaM2z6hLp]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
(08-05-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 09:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Then by your own reasoning, we are fully justified to dispute any claim you make using scripture, especially the sketchy apologetic ones.
If we're going to start getting into scripture, I think you should question everything you are unsure about. I do. I don't want you to take my word for anything, but at least make valid disputes.

Fair enough. I thought it was valid. You didn't because of the apologetics that you have chosen to believe in order to be able to stretch the concept of god around this certain problem.

It's interesting that you claim these deeds were done by angels and it's a false image of god. Why would he go about inspiring a book to be written about him and have these events directly attributed to him if it was not true. Did Satan also have some inspiration in the writing of the good book?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-05-2013, 10:35 PM
08-05-2013, 10:40 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
08-05-2013, 10:43 PM
(08-05-2013 10:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  If we're going to start getting into scripture, I think you should question everything you are unsure about. I do. I don't want you to take my word for anything, but at least make valid disputes.

Fair enough. I thought it was valid. You didn't because of the apologetics that you have chosen to believe in order to be able to stretch the concept of god around this certain problem.

It's interesting that you claim these deeds were done by angels and it's a false image of god. Why would he go about inspiring a book to be written about him and have these events directly attributed to him if it was not true. Did Satan also have some inspiration in the writing of the good book?
I have to get some sleep. I will get to this tommorrow, God willing.
08-05-2013, 11:03 PM
the God term
(08-05-2013 10:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  Look, Science has shown that developing minds who do not experience Love cannot produce Love.

Indeed. And science considers this to be consistent with patterns of "learned behavior".

(08-05-2013 10:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  My personal observations say I am 100% sure there is a 100% Truth. I cannot even conceive what minscule percentage of that Truth I will acquire in this lifetime. Therefore I ascertain it is there by faith.

So, let me get this straight: your 100% certain about a conclusion you didn't come to on your own? Or I'm trying to decrypt gibberish. Let us attempt to deconstruct:

(08-05-2013 10:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  My personal observations say I am 100% sure there is a 100% Truth.
1) what observations?
2) define "Truth"

(08-05-2013 10:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  I cannot even conceive what minscule percentage of that Truth I will acquire in this lifetime.
Well this isn't too bad. I could say something similar about the nature of the universe. I prefer to call it fact though. Truth is a loaded word in discussions such as these.

(08-05-2013 10:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  Therefore I ascertain it is there by faith.

1) by "it is there" do you mean it exists?
2) lets be clear and define faith so as not to cause more confusion.

The existence of facts that could be known about the universe do not require faith for their existence. They are knowable traits whether any beings know them or not. Just as our current sentiments shared in this thread are knowable even though nobody may have known them before being expressed herein.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
09-05-2013, 12:15 AM
(08-05-2013 10:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 10:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fair enough. I thought it was valid. You didn't because of the apologetics that you have chosen to believe in order to be able to stretch the concept of god around this certain problem.

Eh, if you feel like it. We both know we're not changing eachother's minds. The truth is completely subjective. I'm pretty sure you know this, even though you'll never admit it. You've been working really hard at whatever game it is that you're playing. I give you credit for that. I just wish you would get to the point already.

We're not simple children here. We have lived, loved, cried, mourned, awed, experienced many different things. We have thought and studied and questioned and answered and still do, just like you. We would not be here if this was not the case. This question of how and why still intrigues, this is why we are here and still discussing. There are no simple answers, although in my reckoning if god were who man claims him to be, there should be such answers.

You have gained zero ground in over 200 pages of nonsense back and forth. I'm sure that you have some kind of ace up your sleeve but if you can't do any better than you have so far, I'm afraid we'll never get there. Like I said, we are not new to this stuff, make a good point or make room for the next believer to ply their tactic.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-05-2013, 01:36 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I check in now just once a day...I just don't have time to waste on cyclical discusion. Ce came here with a presupposition in the guise of a universally recognized idea --- which is also blatantly false.

Oddly, what Ce, unwittingly has accomplished is to prove in a logical and succinct way that man changes and recreates god to fit their overall perceptions. What else would a child of the 1960s do?

If you look back on christianity, and you don't have to go back very far -- let's just suggest 150 years (1863), god was never described as love from any pulpit. The idea of god was omnipotent and omniscient and if you didn't truly believe god would punish you, your family and even your community for your wickedness. Even these words could be bent and twisted at will by your geographic location.

If you read about the civil war, there people in the south who said god would allow them to win because they were right -- and that war wasn't about religion. Obviously the south lost that war, but the version of god was again changed to "fit" the time. We can look back and see this time and again throughout history.

So Ce, your version of god is nothing more than the latest version of god.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-05-2013, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 11:18 AM by fstratzero.)
(08-05-2013 10:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 10:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fair enough. I thought it was valid. You didn't because of the apologetics that you have chosen to believe in order to be able to stretch the concept of god around this certain problem.

Smartass

You do realize if you are playing an endurance game, you will be argued until the end of the forums.

However you are failing to see that for us, this is like watching Jerry Springer. It's entertaining.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp