the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: the God term
(09-05-2013 11:10 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  However you are failing to see that for us, this is like watching Jerry Springer. It's entertaining. It makes us feel dirty and we can hear our brain cells dying.

Fixt. But I like the comparison to Springer (and I am only aware of what a creep that guy is because a landlady/teacher of mine used to listen to his show at breakfast time Angry )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
bump.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 02:23 PM by childeye.)
(08-05-2013 10:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  If we're going to start getting into scripture, I think you should question everything you are unsure about. I do. I don't want you to take my word for anything, but at least make valid disputes.

Question everything?

Okay then.

How is it that, considering the large number of sects based on the Bibal, a person can know they are using the correct interpretation and translation of the bibal?

In fact, how can this hypothetical person be sure he/she is even using to correct holy book to begin with?

I would prefer an answer which does not begin with the assumption that your interpretation of your translation of your holy book is the correct one. (things of the "the lord tells you" ilk start with such an assumption, though perhaps unconsciously, I will not view it as a sound response.)
I never came to know Christ because I understood the bible or searched the bible. The bible helped confirm my experience and increase my convictions.

However, I can appreciate your sentiments and they are honest, fair and forthright. Therefore what I would say to you, is that I am not very acquainted with the Koran or Quran, so I wouldn't comment on the differences between the bible and the Koran. Also it should be noted that if God exists as God, he exists apart from the bible or any inspired writings about Him. The bible is not a way to God. It is testimony about Him.

If God is the Ceator, then His fingerprints are in the creation itself including ourselves. I would say that the best evidence that the bible contains testimony of real experiences with the real God are the words of the Christ. I believe that inside each person is the ability to know right from wrong which is seen in the moral context of how we treat our fellow man. This ability is what I see as one aspect of the fingerprints of our Creator. Here you must consider what I am going to say. The scriptures talk about the Word of God. The Word of God that the scriptures are refering to, is an attribute of God, the ability to know right from wrong.

Jesus is that Word come in the flesh according to scripture. So, the way I know Jesus is speaking the Truth is that all his words agree with that Word of God in my own heart.
09-05-2013, 01:49 PM
(09-05-2013 01:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 10:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Question everything?

Okay then.

How is it that, considering the large number of sects based on the Bibal, a person can know they are using the correct interpretation and translation of the bibal?

In fact, how can this hypothetical person be sure he/she is even using to correct holy book to begin with?

I would prefer an answer which does not begin with the assumption that your interpretation of your translation of your holy book is the correct one. (things of the "the lord tells you" ilk start with such an assumption, though perhaps unconsciously, I will not view it as a sound response.)
I never came to know Christ becasue I understood the bible or searched the bible. The bible helped confirm my experience and increase my convictions.

However, I can appreciate your sentiments and they are honest, fair and forthright. Therefore what I would say to you, is that I am not very acquainted with the Koran or Quran, so I wouldn't comment on the differences between the bible and the Koran. Also it should be noted that if God exists as God, he exists apart from the bible or any inspired writings about Him. The bible is not a way to God. It is testimony about Him.

If God is the Ceator, then His fingerprints are in the creation itself including ourselves. I would say that the best evidence that the bible contains testimony of real experiences with the real God are the words of the Christ. I believe that inside each person is the ability to know right from wrong which is seen in the moral context of how we treat our fellow man. This ability is what I see as one aspect of the fingerprints of our Creator. Here you must consider what I am going to say. The scriptures talk about the Word of God. The Word of God that the scriptures are refering to, is an attribute of God, the ability to know right from wrong.

Jesus is that Word come in the flesh according to scripture. So, the way I know Jesus is speaking the Truth is that all his words agree with that Word of God in my own heart.

Did you say that jesus came in the word as flesh?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
09-05-2013, 01:51 PM
(09-05-2013 01:49 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Did you say that jesus came in the word as flesh?

Flash, not flesh... Saviour of the universe, he'll save everyone of us... and what have you...

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
(09-05-2013 01:51 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 01:49 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Did you say that jesus came in the word as flesh?

Flash, not flesh... Saviour of the universe, he'll save everyone of us... and what have you...

I like this version better Drooling

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
(09-05-2013 01:51 PM)Vera Wrote:  

I'll see your Flash and raise you a Macleod.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-05-2013, 02:05 PM
(09-05-2013 01:54 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I like this version better Drooling

Well, I just posted the first one on youtube Blush

(09-05-2013 01:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Heretic! There are no princeS of the universe. Just the one Dodgy

Now, if that's not Jesus, I don't know what is. Well, a blond Jesus, but I think someone in this thread was waving bleach around or something Drinking Beverage

Savior of the Universe
Flash
He save everyone of us
Flash
He's a miracle
Flash
King of the impossible

He's for everyone of us
Stand for everyone of us
He save with a mighty hand
Every man every woman
Every chill-he's a mighty

Flash

Just a man
With a man's courage
Nothing but a man
But he can never fail
No-one but the pure at heart
May find the Golden Grail

09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
(09-05-2013 02:05 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 01:54 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I like this version better Drooling

Well, I just posted the first one on youtube Blush

(09-05-2013 01:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Heretic! There are no princeS of the universe. Just the one Dodgy

Now, if that's not Jesus, I don't know what is. Well, a blond Jesus, but I think someone in this thread was waving bleach around or something Drinking Beverage

Savior of the Universe
Flash
He save everyone of us
Flash
He's a miracle
Flash
King of the impossible

He's for everyone of us
Stand for everyone of us
He save with a mighty hand
Every man every woman
Every chill-he's a mighty

Flash

Just a man
With a man's courage
Nothing but a man
But he can never fail
No-one but the pure at heart
May find the Golden Grail

There can be ONLY ONE

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-05-2013, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 02:20 PM by childeye.)