the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: the God term
(09-05-2013 02:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

There can be ONLY ONE

Nah! Don't like Christophe Lambert.

Now, Peter Wingfield (who I think was in the series, not that I've watched it)... MUCH more my type Drinking Beverage

[Image: tumblr_m913nwHyRY1re574ko1_400.jpg]

Esp. with a horse... Man, I do need to get back to riding.

What were we talking about again? Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
(09-05-2013 02:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  This was excellent. Well done. Faith is not required for facts to exist, but faith is required to seek answers and establish fact. To prove a hypothesis is a venture put forth in faith.

Actually you propose a Hypothesis and then do your best to disprove it by testing. No faith required. Either the evidence supports the hypothesis or the hypothesis is false. Thats how science works.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-05-2013, 04:31 PM
I responded to your questions in the debate thread, please look and see if you agree. Or we can debate on another topic. Your choice.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
09-05-2013, 05:21 PM
(09-05-2013 03:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 02:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  This was excellent. Well done. Faith is not required for facts to exist, but faith is required to seek answers and establish fact. To prove a hypothesis is a venture put forth in faith.

Actually you propose a Hypothesis and then do your best to disprove it by testing. No faith required. Either the evidence supports the hypothesis or the hypothesis is false. Thats how science works.

He seems to think if he falls down and can't put any weight on his foot, that the doctor relies on "faith" if it's broken or not.

No, the doctor forms a hypothesis and then tests it. If you can't put any weight on your foot...the doctor isn't going to order an X-ray of your wrist.

More twisting of words and circular logic.

Is it just me or are his so-called arguments getting more and more ridiculous the longer he stays? It's like he keeps clutching at straws.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-05-2013, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 06:48 PM by childeye.)
09-05-2013, 05:54 PM
I want people to start saying "oh my gods" over "oh my god," and "for the love of the gods" over "for the love of God."
I wonder if that would make the monotheists more or less upset.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes Chase's post
09-05-2013, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 07:13 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Here I thought when morondog said that it was simply a bit of hyperbole..but given your explanation Ce, I understand now what your actually saying. The whole god/love/truth thing is hyperbole.

Thanks Ce for clearing that up. Drinking Beverage

Now shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-05-2013, 06:55 PM
the God term
(09-05-2013 05:54 PM)Chase Wrote:  I want people to start saying "oh my gods" over "oh my god," and "for the love of the gods" over "for the love of God."
I wonder if that would make the monotheists more or less upset.

I prefer "by the Nine!"
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
09-05-2013, 07:06 PM
So, I'm trying to figure out how to generate some "action" with this thread since the actual matter being discussed seems to be a rather circular and meandering affair. How can we wager on this thread?

- number of posts by a certain date?
- date on which thread drops to 2nd page?
- date on which there is no reply for, say 10 days?
- date when childeye reveals himself to actually be Tony Clifton?

I'm sure there are many other possibilities.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 1 user Likes TheMrBillShow's post