the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 12:23 PM
RE: the God term
(10-05-2013 11:04 AM)childeye Wrote:  :
Also it should be noted that if God exists as God, he exists apart from the bible or any inspired writings about Him.

Then how do you know what you read is real? I would say the bible is basically hyperbole. You said numeruous times the bible is true -- and you've actually gone out of your way to prove so.

I am quite convinced the god of the bible doesn't exist and never did. I'm atheist in that regard -- and it goes beyond simply dismissing it all as superstition. I do understsnd why the ray comforts of the world "need" for god to exist. I think the reason is probably similar to your own. I think you want to believe that your life has purpose and without god to you, nothing makes sense.

I also think the reason you stay here is because we perplex you. How can we find purpose and meaning in life without god? Still we do just that -- we're fine, happy, lead productive lives, embrace laughter and love without god. We also know that we didn't exist before we were born, just as we won't exist after death...but that idea doesn't make us sad...

I think because we really understsnd how fininte life is, we strive to embrace more of it. It doesn't mean we aren't sad when someone dies -- we miss their input.

Now if you ask me if I think it's possible some alien "seeded" or was even responsible of the big bang occurring; I don't know -- but I do know that individual or individuals left us long ago. Probably long before our galaxy was even created.

It is also equally possible that our universe was created by nothing and that it expands and contracts over billions of millennia, only to destroy itself and do it again -- with of course totally new results each time. But I don't know.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
(10-05-2013 10:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 09:18 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I absolutely agree as it proertains to the standard model of Christianity, however I don't think this is where he is going. My post was dealing simply with the notion of empathy.

I don't really care where he is going cause we've been there several dozen times already. However most cults follow this practice, the more control you give to the cult the happier you will be if you not happy give more control and if that doesn't work pray harder cause you just don't believe enough. Empathy is a tool used by religion to sucker you in "Jesus died for your sins" you owe us our guy did you a huge favor. That is the hook, Heaven is the bait, hell is the threat and guilt is the whip that keeps you moving to their tune. When you remove all that added machinery it allows you to be empathetic without the guilt thus you are more likely to be empathetic more.
Ironically, this is exactly what scripture teaches. You are actually preaching the Truth that Christ got killed for preaching.
10-05-2013, 12:43 PM
(10-05-2013 12:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 12:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  So was I.

Actually, if you really do understand what I said then you would know I already have proved it.

Oh wow...that's a huge button issue for me...I hate it when people play little games like that. It's not just Christians who do that...but damn if they don't do it a lot.
At the heart of my post 2136 is the belief that Love is Good and this is the Absolute Truth that can live in all men where men can agree to agree. This is not a game to me. I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons. Just speaking the Truth as best and forthrightly as possible.
10-05-2013, 01:18 PM
(10-05-2013 12:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  Just speaking the Truth as best and forthrightly as possible.

Your truth. Not mine. And your forthrightness is noted. Well done.
10-05-2013, 01:33 PM
(10-05-2013 12:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 10:07 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I don't really care where he is going cause we've been there several dozen times already. However most cults follow this practice, the more control you give to the cult the happier you will be if you not happy give more control and if that doesn't work pray harder cause you just don't believe enough. Empathy is a tool used by religion to sucker you in "Jesus died for your sins" you owe us our guy did you a huge favor. That is the hook, Heaven is the bait, hell is the threat and guilt is the whip that keeps you moving to their tune. When you remove all that added machinery it allows you to be empathetic without the guilt thus you are more likely to be empathetic more.
Ironically, this is exactly what scripture teaches. You are actually preaching the Truth that Christ got killed for preaching.

In a few places, of course in others he seemed to favor the establishment of a church. Depending on which book you read and how you want to interpret it Jesus can have said anything and everything.

I must say CE I still don't understand why you cling to the title Christian. Your philosophy is much more new age and if you would drop that part of it you would have far less contradictions in your stance. You readily admit the bible is mostly hogwash, you are against organised religion, you cling to the idea of God is Love and that is a very alien concept to the cult of Yahweh. Do yourself a favor and think about why that word is so important to you because in everything you have said it seems like it's just a title you like.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-05-2013, 01:51 PM
10-05-2013, 01:54 PM

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
10-05-2013, 01:57 PM
(10-05-2013 12:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 12:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh wow...that's a huge button issue for me...I hate it when people play little games like that. It's not just Christians who do that...but damn if they don't do it a lot.
At the heart of my post 2136 is the belief that Love is Good and this is the Absolute Truth that can live in all men where men can agree to agree. This is not a game to me. I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons. Just speaking the Truth as best and forthrightly as possible.

Love is good. It doesn't require capital 'g'

Actually capitalizing any letter isn't really needed. Your absolutes aren't that universal. If they were, everyone would agree. If I posed the question finish this sentence god is ____ they all would immidiately answer the same.

The only thing absolute is that YOU believe this is true. I think your bar for what is absolute is set much lower than us here, but really whatever floats your boat dude.

Ok we get understsnd what you believe...we don't share that belief. And really I'm ok with that...as long as you don't try to make your misunderstanding or delusion, mine. It's really doubtful that if we met face to face, and you shared your ideas and asked if I agreed...when I said no; possibly offered explanations (regardless if you felt they were valid or not), you'd continue to hammer away at your point if I walked away.

10-05-2013, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 02:25 PM by childeye.)