the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 05:01 PM
the God term
(10-05-2013 04:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 03:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I havent a clue why my whole post looks like I only replied to one line. :weeping: stupid iPad.

We don't know that to be true. Still no proof of god or gods. It could be if they do exist they are simply self-replicating without any divine or other purpose.
Do you think you could do a little introspection with me and step outside of yourself for a moment for an objective view?

It's not a science project, it's just living. It doesn't matter how we guess at what is the nature of the force that made the big bang and created the sentience of mankind. Because we are talking about what only we can perceive as fact not conceive as fiction. What matters most in Life. Inside each and every one of us exists a single Truth that Love is good. That is what is at the foundation of our sentient reality emotionally and mentally and defines the meaning of our existence in the sweetest way possible.

This response seems to indicate you believe we can know this ultimate truth by introspection alone.

You would do well to understand that the majority of atheists rely on science for their understanding of the universe. Most of them believe that pure introspection yields answers only about one's self perception. To find facts about our universe, most of us believe, requires science.

To me at least, and likely to most of us, the question you bring to us is a science question. It cannot be answered by just pondering it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 05:15 PM
RE: the God term
Unstick?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
10-05-2013, 05:17 PM
(10-05-2013 04:37 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  The god will be incorporeal. The alien will be wearing a bow tie. Right?

I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Man...

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
(10-05-2013 04:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Do you think you could do a little introspection with me and step outside of yourself for a moment for an objective view?

It's not a science project, it's just living. It doesn't matter how we guess at what is the nature of the force that made the big bang and created the sentience of mankind. Because we are talking about what only we can perceive as fact not conceive as fiction. What matters most in Life. Inside each and every one of us exists a single Truth that Love is good. That is what is at the foundation of our sentient reality emotionally and mentally and defines the meaning of our existence in the sweetest way possible.

It seems to me, it is you who lacks an objectivity to where this issue lies. I never said anything about (I assume) life being a science project.

You point all this goodness and love, exists not for goodness sake, but as a result of god. Your again moving the goal posts -- you're trying to make it seem like you mean something else.

Now, if I have misunderstood and your saying there isn't any god and goodness just simply exists because it does...

I can't argue something so vague and it's likely you really couldn't either. Goodness is something we're mostly taught what is good or bad. If you believe that we just know it...well, I can't say that. Other emotions perhaps.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

10-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:I said I was going to address semantics.

And you did, using semantics.

Quote:Then why do you now seek to discredit my person by saying I am using 3b? Is it not more that you now are beginning to see what I see and the veracity of it

I didn't seek to discredit your person, just your argument. I still see no veracity to what you see. I'm not sure why it is that you think your way of looking at things proves anything. You take a philosophical view of knowledge and truth that isn't all that compelling.

Look, sometimes a person just takes an objective view of the world, and sees things for what they really are instead of what they would like to see.

Quote:and so now you have turned to the tactic of claiming that somehow I am manipulating you?

I think you are being completely honest and forthright. I don't doubt it for a second. My view is that you have manipulated yourself.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-05-2013, 08:51 PM

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
10-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you, strat. I knew this thread was missing something...

I actually sat and watched the whole thing, even after I noticed it was looped....

and it's friday night, where has my life gone? Weeping

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-05-2013, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 10:27 PM by childeye.)
(10-05-2013 03:20 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 03:09 PM)childeye Wrote:  Your proposal is valuable as a tool to arrive at so obvious a conclusion. That we would be at the mercy of any such being. We would therefore have no viable choice but to trust.
Quote:[quote]No because of the unknown we must wait and watch, and then make a decision based on what we do know.

If we can not know the nature of this being then we cannot decide it's goodness or badness. We must wait before making a decision to worship it or not. We don't even know if the thing you call god is a god. I might be a very powerful being that isn't god at all.
It doesn't do any good to be guessing at whether God is good or not. I'm saying He is Love. Love is good. Love gives us the ability to judge what is good.

Quote:So far the claim of eternal life has been discounted, spirits have been shown to be false, and all other claims of your god have been discounted.
What are you talking about? Spirits aren't whilte sheets floating around. They are emotions. Those things that make up our our countenance. Love has never been discounted and noeither has eternal life. Remember that the fact that time itself is part of the creation indicates alternate dimensions.

Quote:Now how can you tell a powerful alien who can travel through the dimensions, and control energy, matter, space, time from god?
Look God as Love lives in each and everyone of us. I think aliens do this also, just in a different way. Aliens jump out of an egg and wrap their tails around your throat while they cover your face and impregnate you, so they can latter bust out of your chest.
10-05-2013, 10:32 PM
(10-05-2013 05:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 04:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Do you think you could do a little introspection with me and step outside of yourself for a moment for an objective view?

It seems to me, it is you who lacks an objectivity to where this issue lies. I never said anything about (I assume) life being a science project.

You point all this goodness and love, exists not for goodness sake, but as a result of god. Your again moving the goal posts -- you're trying to make it seem like you mean something else.

Now, if I have misunderstood and your saying there isn't any god and goodness just simply exists because it does...

I can't argue something so vague and it's likely you really couldn't either. Goodness is something we're mostly taught what is good or bad. If you believe that we just know it...well, I can't say that. Other emotions perhaps.
Personally I believe Love is the foundation for all spirits. Of course Love exists for the sake of goodness. This does not mean that Love is not the God of the bible.