the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 07:49 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 07:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:30 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  That sort of explains your whole conundrum on this site.
Perhaps so. But since you don't seem to acknowledge any definition to that which you don't believe in, how can this be avoided? It's like trying to discuss mathematics with someone that doesn't believe in the term numbers.

Because ideas, words, and concepts don't work like that. You can't just assign a random meaning to something and expect people to accept that as being legit.

I mean I can call my dog a cat all day but that doesn't make him a cat... regardless if I define him that way.

You're basically just making crap up and then whining that people don't accept your fabrications.

Poe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Isn't this where we started....here we go again.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-04-2013, 07:51 PM
(15-04-2013 07:28 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it would be weird if it didn't in a species that requires extended parental care. Snakes and other reptiles that just lay a clutch of eggs and leave never developed attachment to their young and will in fact cannibalise them however Crocodilians do provide maternal care and do show attachment. If the young requires care then selective pressure will favor the genes of those who become emotionally attached over those that do not.
Fine but we're not snakes nor crocodiles. We know we need care. I'm beginning to think that the theory of evolution is your, dare I say it, god. It appears to be the creator of all that you hold to be truth.

No it's just the modus operandi by which life gains it's characteristics. Evolution is blind and has no goal it merely has a few very harsh rules. Human beings are not snakes or crocodiles though we do share genes and lower brain structure with them. Our higher brain functions have developed in such a way as to be able to express ourselves, though we are not alone in this ability as it is common in higher mammals, your dog for instance can communicate with you, albeit with a limit.

My inclusion of an example of 2 members of the same Kingdom (Reptile) that evolved different parental skills was merely to prove that love is not necessarily needed to reproduce but is helpful and there by evolutionarily beneficial if the young require aid.

I wonder though why do you feel the need to project God onto systems that are already defined and work perfectly well without it? First it was Love or empathy now it is evolution. I believe a reference to Napoleon is warranted. When the Emperor visited a solarium (a mechanical representation of the solar system) He asked the curator where was God in the model? The curator responded "It moves without Him, sire."

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Actually, if you say..."I god John Lennon". It doesn't make sense...

But if you say "go with love" or "may love be with you," it does work!

Damnit the Beatles were right "love IS all you need"

And we all know the Beatles were bigger than god! Or jesus...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2013, 08:05 PM
(15-04-2013 07:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:39 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Simple: realize that your attempt at wordplay is futile because the exact question you where asking in the OP has been answered by you yourself right here. ^^
What you call wordplay I call talking. The term God as the Spirit of Love is accepted throughout the world and in many differing cultures. I have proposed that definition at the outset of this thread, this is true. So where's the so called wordplay? Is it not in your unacceptance of such a definition? Or are you saying you realize that Love is universally recognized as God, the moral imperative, but don't agree?

You used wordplay and then ask me to go find it... meanwhile you spend your time butchering definitions of words, putting words in other people's mouths, taking back your own words and then changing your story not long after...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
15-04-2013, 08:05 PM
(15-04-2013 07:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  Perhaps so. But since you don't seem to acknowledge any definition to that which you don't believe in, how can this be avoided? It's like trying to discuss mathematics with someone that doesn't believe in the term numbers.

Because ideas, words, and concepts don't work like that. You can't just assign a random meaning to something and expect people to accept that as being legit.

I mean I can call my dog a cat all day but that doesn't make him a cat... regardless if I define him that way.

You're basically just making crap up and then whining that people don't accept your fabrications.

Poe.
Not true. God has been defined as Love for millenia in numerous cultures and religions. I did not make it up as you propose. I am just agreeing that this makes sense pertaining to the moral imperative.
15-04-2013, 08:28 PM
(15-04-2013 07:19 PM)childeye Wrote:  Please note, I was not taught to cry or laugh, feel sorrow, nor joy. happiness, contentment, fear, terror, anger, etc...etc...

you can add critical thinking to that list

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2013, 08:32 PM
(15-04-2013 08:05 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because ideas, words, and concepts don't work like that. You can't just assign a random meaning to something and expect people to accept that as being legit.

Poe.
Not true. God has been defined as Love for millenia in numerous cultures and religions. I did not make it up as you propose. I am just agreeing that this makes sense pertaining to the moral imperative.

Not really, unless you're incapable of understanding Saul's metaphors, which is pretty weak.Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
15-04-2013, 08:32 PM
(15-04-2013 08:05 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  What you call wordplay I call talking. The term God as the Spirit of Love is accepted throughout the world and in many differing cultures. I have proposed that definition at the outset of this thread, this is true. So where's the so called wordplay? Is it not in your unacceptance of such a definition? Or are you saying you realize that Love is universally recognized as God, the moral imperative, but don't agree?

You used wordplay and then ask me to go find it... meanwhile you spend your time butchering definitions of words, putting words in other people's mouths, taking back your own words and then changing your story not long after...
There is a record here. I don't recall putting words in peoples mouths, nor changing my story. Be specific as to what you are talking about. That would be helpful. I suspect this has something to do with me saying my dog was a theist in the sense that she has empathy. I am sorry if you misunderstood that.

This is not worth getting upset over. What definitions do you feel I am butchering? I gave dictionary definitions for theist and spirit that are commonly recognized.

Meanwhile, would you please be so kind as to answer the question about the widely recognized term of God as Love? Do you simply not accept such a definition as your basis for atheism? Or are you saying you realize that Love is universally recognized as God, the moral imperative, but don't agree? Otherwise, please supply your definition of god as pertaining to what you don't believe in.
15-04-2013, 08:38 PM
(15-04-2013 08:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:05 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  You used wordplay and then ask me to go find it... meanwhile you spend your time butchering definitions of words, putting words in other people's mouths, taking back your own words and then changing your story not long after...
There is a record here. I don't recall putting words in peoples mouths, nor changing my story. Be specific as to what you are talking about. That would be helpful. I suspect this has something to do with me saying my dog was a theist in the sense that she has empathy. I am sorry if you misunderstood that.

This is not worth getting upset over. What definitions do you feel I am butchering? I gave dictionary definitions for theist and spirit that are commonly recognized.

Meanwhile, would you please be so kind as to answer the question about the widely recognized term of God as Love? Do you simply not accept such a definition as your basis for atheism? Or are you saying you realize that Love is universally recognized as God, the moral imperative, but don't agree? Otherwise, please supply your definition of god as pertaining to what you don't believe in.

1god noun \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\

Definition of GOD

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
: a person or thing of supreme value
: a powerful ruler

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense